Importing MOD files - why get the notes transposed down?

I do understand that Renoise doesn’t claim to import/play MOD files 100% correctly - but I tried anyway :wink: and I wonder:

Why do the notes get transposed down by 2 octaves and 5 semitones?
Is there any explanation for that?
My first assumption was that the reason are the different sample rates of Renoise (44.100 Hz) vs. MOD (8.000 Hz?) but 2 octaves and 5 ST should be a factor around 5.34 (I think) and this doesn’t match.

Funny thing is: All the MODs I tried get played more or less correctly (besides minor adjustments like correcting the volume in the sample properties - which is -INF db sometimes).

8000 x 2 ^ (2 + 5/12) is the closest to 44100 you’ll have. 2 + 6/12 is too high, and 2 + 4/12 is lower.
The exact transposition would be 2 octaves and 5.5524 semitones

1 Like

Ok, so my assumption (Reason is shifting the notes down to compensate for the higher sample rate) was correct?

The more I think about it the more I understand (hopefully) what happens when a MOD file is imported:

• The included samples are treated as raw data.
  • Because Renoise defaults to a sample rate of 44100/s it calculates a “correction factor” (eg. 5.513 when the imported sample rate is 8000/s).
  • After that the pitch of the notes is transposed accordingly so that the resulting sound is correct (-2.463 octaves in my example which is -2 octaves / -5.55 ST).

So the next question: Is it possible to revert this (so that the notes are at the original pitch again)? Adjusting the sample doesn’t do the job.

Any ideas anyone?

sure, you could try opening the advanced editor and transpose the whole song up by 29 semitones, like so

1 Like

The are type 1 and type 2 MODs, as far as I remember. There is a way to use some other tracker to convert mod1 to xm first, and THEN import it into Renoise, and everything will be alright. Was it Screamtracker, I can’t remember…

1 Like

Oh, of course. :roll_eyes: Thanks!
Why didn’t come this to my mind…

But what about the samples?
How can I edit/transform the sample to be at the original pitch?

Thanks for the hint. Went searching a bit about different types of MODs … didn’t find anything so far.

BUT … your answer brought me to the following idea:
What if I save the MOD as XM (using MilkyTracker’s Disp Op. > Song: Save As XM)?

Tried that, opened the resulting XM in Renoise and … BIG surprise:

• The notes are the same as in the original MOD (no downshifting be 2 octaves + 5 ST)
  • The samples are the same pitch as in the original MOD. To be precise, there is a very small variation (C4 plays as 525.1 Hz in Renoise instead of 522.6 Hz in MT or +0.5% which equals to less than 0.1 ST)
  • So the song in Renoise looks (and sounds “almost”) the same as the original!

Strange observation though:
Renoise says the samples are [44100Hz 32Bit Mono] and they contain the same number of samples as in the original MOD file.
When opening the original MOD file in Renoise it says the samples are [44100 Hz 8Bit Mono].

2 Likes