Individual tempos for each track

Throwing this idea out there:

Individual tempos for each track.

It would give Renoise a lot more flexibility, sort of serving as a Time Stretch feature like you see with audio in other DAWs, as it would allow imported phrases to fit a project more easily.

Say for example you want to bring in a beat or melody from another project, but it’s at a different tempo. Rather than having to redo the project or imported material, you just change the tempo of the individual track.

It would also let you make changes to current projects more easily, in the same manner.

Could have it so all the tracks defaulted to the master tempo, then add the ability to change the tempo on a per track basis.

Then for LFO syncing, have it so LFOs attached to instruments would sync to the master tempo, and LFOs attached to a track would sync to that track’s tempo.

Then for LFO syncing, have it so LFOs attached to instruments would sync to the master tempo, and LFOs attached to a track would sync to that track’s tempo.

Maybe could also have it so if an instrument’s phrase was placed on a track with a unique tempo, any LFO sync within that instrument would automatically sync to that track’s tempo rather than the master tempo.

This stuff gets complicated. :blink:

At any rate, I hope the basic idea is clear. It would essentially turn Renoise into a true mixer, with each track potentially acting as a separate channel for individual instruments, and consequently gaining the same advantages and flexibility of an audio mixer.

Individualplay speeds in different tracks would really mean timestretch or not using patterns, like in other daws, changing that would mean changing too many things, as the whole daw works around bpm.

Individualplay speeds in different tracks would really mean timestretch or not using patterns, like in other daws, changing that would mean changing too many things, as the whole daw works around bpm.

It would be an addition, not a change.

For the Pattern section you could split it up by tracks up as well, so that each track could have different pattern lengths (rather than having each track locked into the same pattern length), and then also have pattern sequences for each track.

In essence you’d have multiple instances of Renoise running side by side.

Hopefully that all makes sense. Renoise would be a behemoth to reckon with if they implemented this.

The idea sounds great! That implies that there are more accelerated tracks than others and vice versa.It implies that some tracks should be cut at the end of the pattern, because they are slower (notes may be lost, they will follow in the pattern, but they will not sound).

But the problem I see is the inclusion of the delay parameter in each note in the time of changing the speed of the track (Including note-OFF).Then you have a lot of delay parameters that were not previously.This is a mess.Note that a row has its duration, represented by delay parameter (256 slices, 01-FF, and Qxx parameter).Can I be wrong?I’m not sure if this will work this way.

Perhaps there is a tool that allows you to extend the duration or separation of notes on each track, to along the song.Maybe this would be a better solution.

I’m sure this can be created using a LUA tool, if it is not already done.Basically, select a track, and lengthen or shorten the distance between notes. I sound like I’ve seen this sometime, but I’m not sure.But I do not know if you could act on the whole length of the song, or pattern per pattern.

In my case, sometimes I play live without a beat, not synced to a base song.Such a LUA tool would be useful.I hate having to resort to the LUA tools. I have love-hate. I think really useful things must be native, under the hood of Renoise. But there are so many things…

Please, if anyone knows a similar tool, mention it!

then also have pattern sequences for each track.

In essence you’d have multiple instances of Renoise running side by side.

There could also be a main timeline, in place of the current pattern sequencer, to give some indication of how each individual track lined up with the other tracks. If you slowed the tempo down on one track, it would stretch that track’s pattern matrix out along that timeline, and vice versa.

Use the phrase sequencers , set to different time signatures / tempo / pattern length etc …autoseek on …

Use the phrase sequencers , set to different time signatures / tempo / pattern length etc …autoseek on …

This works to a degree. This addition I’m talking about brings more flexibility to the table though.

Thing is, it wouldn’t even have to be used, though I think it would be once people were freed from the current restrictions in the pattern section (restrictions like: same pattern length per track, workflow tied to BPM).