Inertial Slider

Hi guys, I’m quite new here, and… I don’t really get what this code is about, I mean, it does not seems a tool or anything i resemble, could anyone explain it to me?

Thank for the kindness (and sorry for being newbie) :rolleyes:

Alright. Select the entire code in the first post. Copy it (ctrl+c or right click>copy or etc etc)
Open Renoise, click on the part of the screen next to the DSP effects (anywhere) and paste (ctrl+v). There’s your inertia device! :lol:/>

O_O

Really awesome!

RE:Lorenzo’s question: how do you save the device so you don’t have to copy paste the code on a different project?

Maybe you can save it as part of your default (empty, start-up) song? Then you don’t have to copy the code at least on new projects.

Save the DSP chain in the disk browser?

Hmm, that’s not as appealing, but workable. I feel like there must be a way to “save custom script” or something.

Use the SirDancealot tool (I have Shift-F for insert effect, and Shift-Alt-F for insert native effect)
the native FX shortcut also quickly inserts *Formula, Stutter, etc.
And you can then also use normal presets to save your formulas with.

Just save it as a DSP Chain. Simple!

And if you go that route anyway definitely check out the option ‘Replace existing chain’ in the preferences. Uncheck it!

I did think to comment that when I saw vV post it the first time and then forgot when I saw he seemed to still be struggling with the idea…

Ever having Replace Chain as the default setting seems a very odd choice to me personally anyway though! But everybody does work in different ways.

Neither can I imagine why it would be a handy default setting.

Hi, I dont understand at all. What can you use this for? :) (Slow learner)

For smoothing parameter changes on devices that don’t have their own inertia setting (like the Filter device does).

I can instantly think of four situations where people will be glad of such a device. I’m sure there are many more! There is a certain similarity to them all, which might help you think in what ways the device could be useful to you.

1. You are an oldschool Tracker who doesn’t like graphical automation yet you want to be able to easily create ramps of effect parameters using pattern effect commands. At the new value in the pattern it will gradually change towards it, rather than a sudden jump, possibly removing the need for you to enter two values and interpolate between them (although the curve of the ramp is also different but it will be in most of these cases.)

2. You want to do a few small ramps in Automation (graphical) and creating a straight line, then extra point for each ramp and each plateaux can be time consuming. Instead stick the automation in Points mode and enter the new values where you want the ramps to start. (very similar to point 1 really!)

3. You want some random changes of a parameter using the LFO Device in Random/Noise mode but you don’t want these changes to be instantainious. Send it through this device (I believe it was mainly this suggestion, well adding Inertia to the LFO device, which brought the created of it with the Formula Device about.)

4. You are using Velocity to change values of a parameter live but don’t want the values to jump, partially as it can be an undesired effect, partly to help hide any imperfections in timing. With pad controllers now being so popular mapping velocity is more and more common. No reason you can’t use velocity from a traditional keyboard’s keys though.

The Inertia value will set how quickly the value changes to the new one set. This can obviously also be automated to give you different length ramps in output if you wish.

Excellent! Thank you for such a detailed answer; I can definitly see me using it :)

Stupid question, but… how do i use it?

Tried saving as “Song.xml” and zipping it into a .xrns file, doesn’t load.

Copy the xml-text (ctrl-c), focus dsp area in renoise, paste. It eats xml. ^_^

haha, thanks :D

Nice tool! I have been totally oblivious to these things in renoise