[???] Initial tempo doesn't get written to file

Can anyone else confirm this? I save a module with, say 60bpm in the “initial” setting (at the top of the screen) and then i futz around with the tempo while practicing… then when i reload the module, the tempo is set to a random value, usually somewhere close to what i last entered in the tempo field.

hello… anyone?

I cannot seem to replicate the problem here, but it’s difficult to know what to try based on the limited information you’ve provided. I did try simply changing the tempo a few times and then reloading the song, but it always reloaded with the correct tempo that I saved with.

Can you go into a bit more detail about what you’re doing here?

Are you absolutely certain that you have not re-saved the song with the modified tempo?

Do you have auto-save enabled? If so, are you perhaps loading a different version than you expected?

Well, there’s not much other information to give… i save a file, and if it doesn’t have ZTxx commands to set the tempo, most of the time when i reload it, the tempo is set to a random value, or left to whatever value the tempo was before loading.

Can you go into a bit more detail about what you’re doing here?

Start renoise
Set tempo to 100 via the number-entry at the top of the screen
Save (empty) module as test-tempo.xrns
Set tempo to 120 via the same number-entry as before
Load test-tempo.xrns, answer “no” to “save changes” box
Most of the time, tempo will be left at 120.
Quit renoise
Start renoise again (tempo will be whatever it is in your song template, or i think 125 by default if you don’t have one)
Load test-tempo.xrns
Most of the time, tempo will be as it was just before loading.

Sometimes, it will be at another (seemingly random) value, and maybe 1/10 times it reloads with the correct tempo.
It doesn’t make a difference how i load the file - from the right file list, from the file -> recently loaded menu, or file -> recently saved menu.

Linux, 64bit, ubuntu studio, renoise 3.0.0
Here’s the console output, but there’s not much useful information at least that i can see…

Are you absolutely certain that you have not re-saved the song with the modified tempo?

Pretty sure, i didn’t save the file explicitly in any of these tests, and i was careful to answer “no” to the “save changes” dialog when loading the file.

Do you have auto-save enabled? If so, are you perhaps loading a different version than you expected?

Auto-save…backups? Nope, disabled. And as far as i can see there’s only one version of the file, which is confirmed by going to that directory and typing “ls | grep -i tempo”

Really not sure what is going on…

I’m seeing the same problem as you, when loading songs I sometimes don’t get the tempo they were saved with. I think there probably a bug somewhere or something working in ways I don’t expect.
I also use Renoise 3.0, running in Bodhi Linux 3.0 64 bit. Do you use Jack? After I just loaded a song and saw that the tempo was set to 130 BPM (which it was not set to last time I saved the song) I noticed that the Jack transport control in Qjackctl was set to 130. Could renoise be getting the BPM value from Jack?

Are you sure you don’t have any scripts/tools installed that mangle with the tempo after song load?
What happens if you temporary disable all tools?

ah, so someone else actually is getting this error… i’ll try disabling tools, and playing around with the jack controls… thanks!

Yes, you’re right… there’s definitely a link between the tempo shown in qjackctl and the one renoise uses when loading a “tempo-less” song /* edit */ …and the one shown in renoise, period.

… but how do you change the tempo in qjackctl??? can’t find it!!

Try disabling jack transport support in Renoise’s preferences then: http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Jack_Transport
Jack transport sync may fumble around with and override tempos.

From what I can understand after some reading it’s not possible to set the tempo in Qjackctl, the tempo shown is whatever it gets from the application acting as Jack transport master. I just saw this problem again, a song I loaded was loaded with BPM 155, a value I haven’t used in any songs I have done with renoise. 155 was then shown in Qjackctl. I then opened another song, without saving the first song, and the tempo was correct for that song. When reopening the first song again the tempo was now suddenly the correct value. The only Jack applications I have had opened previously are Pianoteq and Audacious, which don’t have any Jack transport capabilities. I actually think there is something in Renoise sometimes setting the wrong tempo. It’s possible it might work if Jack transport were to be disabled, but throwing away the option to sync to other software isn’t really a solution.