Instrument Number +Lfo

I was doing a rythmic “chippy” texture with arpeggio effect (00xx) for a song… For this I used a couple of pulse wave samples with different pulse width which i alter between as the phrase goes on. Classic, cliché, C64, whatever… just to state the example.

I want to be able to change an instruments sample. So that a single instrument can contain many different sounds but still be able to use the full range of notes, so thus no split.

In other words: I want to be able to create a sample based xrni with, on the fly, changable patches(samples) if you like.

Edit: I erased some mumbo jumbo. I updated this to make it more understandable what I am looking for.

Let’s say I’ve tracked a melody with one instrument, for example #01, which contains 8 different samples (#00-#07) which are (and this is important) not divided into a drumkit. The default behaviour in this case is that the instrument will only use sample #00 no matter which note I enter. To progressively change the sound as the melody goes on (without any dsp-effect) I thus have to use more than one instrument. That’s the way it works today. See what I mean? It would therefore be a great feature if I could change the sample that the instrument is currently using with an effect command. Since effects 0-F are all taken I vote for a a new Volume-, Panning-, or Delay-column effect number to do this.

Try the ReVisit Pro plugin it does perhaps some of the miracles you need :)

Brilliant!

Okey but after som testing of ReVisit I have found out that it doesn’t quite do what I want as easily as I want it.

Is a command number for changing the sample an implementable thing?

Edit: And someone could if needed rename this topic to something like ‘command for changing instrument sample’

Hi,
I’m new to renoise, but see your point.
Maybe this will work for you?

Take a longer sample of the sound and do some automation on the pulse width.
Like beginning with square and slowly go to a small pulse over the lenght of a pattern.
Then use the 09 effect to alter the starting point.

Does this do the job?

I have to say no, or else I must have misunderstood but since the sample basically is a microscopically short one cycle square wave (168 samples long tuned in A4) with it’s loop markers set it doesn’t matter what starting point I choose. It only alters the phase so in other words your suggestion is kind of a phase modulation but at the same time not quite phase modulation. Anyway I can’t get it to do any difference in the sound nor the actual width of the pulse. Theoretically I guess you could say it starts playing the sample with a shorter pulse width but since it loops it will nontheless come back to it’s starting point no matter which and the sound heard will be the same square wave. Pulse width modulation alters the wave itself.

Now I’m not shure if I understand it correctly.

But the idea was:
In any synth make a simple square sound with full sustain.
Enter the disired note at the top of the track.
Then do a note off at the end of the track.
Now you have a sustained note for about 5 to 10 sec.

Now automate the pulse width of the synth to fade from zero at the beginning of the track to max at the end.
Make a sample of the complete track
Now you don’t have to use a loop.
Use the 09 effect to alter the starting point.

It’s not ideal, but it could work for simple sounds…

Ah :) now I understand. The magic word was synth, which I desire not to use when I make chiptunes. Also longer samples doesn’t work that well with vibrato and arpeggio as well as pitch slides and glide to note commands.

Revisit has a bug that disables the Midi triggering of patterns. (I was actually aiming towards that solution)
1.5.3 has been uploaded with that fix, noticed this update today.

Furthermore, Chris mentioned this for the next feature:

You can’t get any better real-time arpeggiator than this.

Keep an eye on this thread as well: