Interpolating (mixing) samples between keyzones

First of all, I want to really thank the guys behind this fantastic piece of software! Renoise is just THE perfect “sound making tool” for me, I’m not using anything else at the moment and I think it’s simply fantastic!

All that said, there’s a little feature that I’d like very much to see in the next release(s) of the software, and that’s the ability to have samples smoothly interpolated between keyzones.

Consider the following (common) scenario: you have, say sample1 of your favourite instrument for the note C4 and another, sample2, for the note F4, so you assign some notes to sample1 and some other to sample2. Now, if you play D4 you’ll either use sample1 (oversampled) or sample2 (downsampled), depending on how you assigned the keyzones.

My question is: is it possible to have a real time mix-up of the two samples for the notes in-between? So that when you play C4 you get exactly sample1, when you play F4 you get sample2, but when you play an intermediate note (D4, E4) you get an interpolation (mix) of the two (of course, such an interpolation should be “weighted”, so that the more you are close to a C4 the more you’re using sample1 and viceversa.

I’m asking for this because, from my personal experiments, the final quality of sampled instruments (especially when you have access to a limited set of samples) increases dramatically with this little trick! Currently, I must resort to a little program I wrote for myself that generates such intermediate samples, but it’s a tedious task to import every couple of samples, generate the intermediate notes and reload them in renoise, manually assigning the keyzone note by note. Having such a feature available in the application would give two big benefits, not only avoiding such a waste of time but also the possibility to save ram (if intermediate notes are generated “on the fly” by a real time mix-up instead of having a different, pre-generated sample for every note)!

I don’t know if such a question has been asked before, but I was not able to find a similar tread. If it has and there are technical difficulties preventing it, I beg your pardon for asking (again) a question asked before…

You most likely aim for a kind of time-stretch feature (which is currently not supported). yo could perhaps use the rubberband time-stretch tool to add the lacking keyvalues of the limited samples you have and this way have a fixed interpolated copy of that sample under these keys

Nothing to do with timestretching. It’s called key zone (cross)fades, pretty basic stuff for a sampler, and hence I’m sure I made a feature request for it already in the past.

This is absolutely something I’d like to see too. Not only morphing between pitch, but also velocity.

If you can limit yourself to just two targets, it’s possible to crossfade using velocity/key-tracking devices. I wrote an article about that on our blog…

Currently, I must resort to a little program I wrote for myself that generates such intermediate samples, but it’s a tedious task to import every couple of samples, generate the intermediate notes and reload them in renoise, manually assigning the keyzone note by note

Haha, cool. You are not completely without resources :slight_smile:

I gather that tweaking settings while playing is not possible - or could this be implemented as a lua tool?