Interpolating Track Fx...

Hey all! I’m new here. I’ve been using the Renoise demo for almost a year, but last month I finally purchased the full version and I’ve never been happier :)

Anyways, I’ve run into a problem that I can’t seem to find an answer to. I’ve asked on the IRC chat, and nobody there can seem to find an answer to my problem.

This is it: I’m chopping up a break for some breakcore. I input my break into every one of the 64 lines, and use the 09xx fx to sample it the way I want. I want to make some glitchy sounds, like the break winding up/down (you guys obviously understand what I’m trying to convey), so I want to use the retrig fx, Ex that goes in the volume column. I want this glitchy windy sound to occur for about 16 lines.

I want this to get slower at a slower pace as it progresses, so I’d want this to be interpolated exponentially. So I would select the lines I want affected, place E2 at the first of the lines and E9 at the end, and with the Advanced Edit options, interpolate exponentially.

…However, it acts as though I’m actually interpolating volume and not the retrig fx, so it ends up just being

E2
E9

And I have tried fiddling around with all the options in the advanced edit, to no avail. Renoise is a program many breakcore artists use, so I would assume that this is something that is doable? Thanks in advance!

Retrigger can be used in either the volume column or the effect column - although the volume column version does have a slightly different behaviour in some cases.

Seems like the interpolate function is getting a bit confused by the retrigger in the volume column, so maybe this is something for the team to look into.

Interpolate does work correctly in the effect column though, so maybe you can give that a try instead.

Wow man, thanks a ton. I had no idea they could be used in the fx column, only the designated column in the manual… But it kind of makes a lot of sense when you think about it. :smashed:

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Effect_Commands

Just in case you need to freshen up.

Enjoy! :)

You are right

That’s either a bug or a feature, should be a bug, as I can see no discernible value in interpolation not working for retrig in the VOL column.
as noted in this post from 2008. it actually works differently, being dependent on notes.:

in 2.6b3 retrigger doesn’t even interpolate.
I’ll put this in the bug section.