Invecta_demo

invecta_demo on SoundCloud

greetings.

not long ago, i took a brief trip to the coast. i spent a good deal of time taking photographs, and i also had planned to write a short, no-set-guidelines EP while i was there. things went well, and i ended up creating much more material than i had originally anticipated. i decided that perhaps i would spend more time with this project, and see if i couldn’t turn it into a full album. so far, that’s the plan.

this song is the first and most complete of the lot. it’s one of my favorites in the set. i’d often look at some of the photographs that i took as i would be composing these songs - the landscape inspiring the soundscape, i suppose. much inspired by the ghosts project from nine inch nails, taking a visual piece and trying to express it through sound. thus, each song (like ghosts) is paired with a specific photo, and neither is complete without the other.

a brief _disclaimer:
my mixing skills are marginal at best. i’ve got a decent pair of mixing headphones, but nothing special. my sound system i was using before to test mixes is in dire need of repair, so i’m operating entirely on headphones. not good, to say the least. but i do my best. however, please steer me in the right direction as to glaring issues that you notice in it. i’m here to learn. if you want to have the mp3/flac to critique, let me know. while soundcloud is better than some alternatives, it’s still not perfect.

critique in any form is most welcome.

thank you for your time, and thank you for listening.

(while you listen and view the photograph, please have a moment of silence for my camera, which sacrificed its lens in the pursuit of discovering fascinating perspectives involving waves and sand.)

_dimday

very good build-up.

I would like to be able to create these kind of crescendos, but I’m too much anxious :)

I don’t like very much the drum sounds, expecially the snare: not that they are bad per se, but they don’t fit very much the “analog-like” usage you did with them.

I really struggled with the drums, I edited them from their original form quite a bit. I really wanted to have an acoustic sound to the drums, though, I like the dichotomy a blend of electronic-sounds with some more organic elements make. But yeah, I can understand how my usage of them doesn’t really fit with their sound…it’s a good point. I’ll play around with it. Thank you for the feedback.

Yeah, I totally didn’t notice this until you mentioned it. Thanks. And yeah, Porcupine Tree’s definitely a band that has influenced me over the years. They’re great.