Is Renoise macos Sonoma compatible?

Hi,

does Renoise work properly on Sonoma 14.4.1? Any experience here? What about the usual plugins? I am still on 12.6.1, but was thinking about upgrading finally, to have Metal3 then. Some people reported that Bitwig GUI might work a bit faster then. Maybe nonsense… Would also like to benchmark before and after the update, and wondered which benchmark tool actually would give me properly comparable results. Geekbench seems to be a bit too Apple friendly.

Also, do you know if you can downgrade back to macos 12.7, if required stuff isn’t working? Seems to me that this is not possible on real Apple machines…

1 Like

Not sure about plugins, but Renoise works fine for me on Sonoma on my Mac Mini M1.

2 Likes

Also all work fine here (Renoise, Bitwig, Logic, Microtonic) on my new Apple M2 Air.
Before, old Apple Intel I5 (Sierra Os) Air.

Previously, Apple Os downgrades only worked via Apple Backups (need do it before)
but i don’t know if this is still possible these Days wit a new Mac.

1 Like

my renoise started lagging when in fullscreen after the update. but i have intel mac

1 Like

I must say I am quite impressed by Sonoma 14.5. Was updating from Monterey 12.7.5 on my M1pro (very conservative with os updates). I did benchmarks before and after, the cpu benchmark is the same, but the gpu benchmark quite drasitcally has improved, like 15-20% more speed. Also metal3 seems to be very capable, I believe it actually could outperform any directx stuff, if used right.

I also got a really nice 144Hz 4K display (Gigabyte M28U, like 390 EUR), and this is like a whole new experience. It’s actually like in the old days on CRT, no more lags in mouse movement, and you can actually read content while scrolling. This unconsciously speeds up my workflow. Everything is ultra fast, this on 4k plus upscaled to 2560x.

A lot of apps work great with this high framerate, for example Ableton. Bitwig not so much, even though they claimed to support 144Hz now, if you use Sonoma (only). I guess this will be never really immersive/integrated due to the java graphics layer which they use…

Renoise is not worse or more bad than before. But it certainly does not really sync to 60Hz or something, also setting the framerate to 100Hz makes things only worse (120 would be better, too). I guess the whole drawing would need a whole rewrite and conceptual overhaul to really stick with Metal3 / MolkenVK. Certainly it does not benefit neither from Sonoma nor from 120/144Hz. Renoise drawing needs to be decoupled from audio thread and lua thread, completely.

Regarding plug compatibility, everything just seem to work exactly as in Monterey. Even old plugins. I have no idea what the shithead companies write about compatibility, might be a new scam now to pretend that only the recent plugin edition works with Sonoma, like Izotope, Arturia or NI do. The oldest plugins still work. Ok, I can’t really blame them, since Apple regularly broke the backwards compatibility. But not this time, since Monterey… Still, what a shit move, says everything about these companies. Re-releasing the same plugins over and over, with minor pseudo additions. Learnd from the worst, Apple and Microsoft.

Btw. Microsoft, I also updated my old Win10 partition on my Hackintosh, what the hell is this? The drive was constantly writing for 8 hours, and mostly blocked regular work, until Windows update was done, all the shitty updates. Then the recent AMD drivers seem to be incompatible with my RX580, no idea why… Windows seems to be complete trash now. That update system… OMG. At least I can somehow bootup macos on an old HDD and use it at some point. Remember amigaos 3? It loaded from a 880KB disc and run on 1MB of RAM. Since then, the os didn’t change that much… A Windows graphics driver now is 800MB in download… :joy: People can’t even program drivers these days. I guess it includes a complete node server package or whatever.

This loss of programming skills is just sick, in my opinion. AI won’t help here. This means, if you can really code, you should be paid twice now.

Ah, also played some games on Sonoma, this is really outstanding! Playing at 120Hz with 2340x or so looks and plays fantastic. I got constant 120 fps in all the AAA titles I tried. Impressive.