Is Renoise terminated?

danoise,

I had an additional idea about this tool that I thought I’d share. You could make it a general “arming” tool, also handling audio recording. E.g make a track act more like an “audio track”, by modifying the sample when 1) deleting sequences / inserting sequences (e g silence in the sample), 2) re-recording from anyplace (data gets recorded to a temp sample that is then correctly inserted into the track sample with the autoseek), 3) even optional dubbing/overlaying when recording at a position that wasn’t previously silent.

This idea would fit quite nicely into a general arming tool, I think. (These “audio track” instruments could be named so that the tool automatically recognizes them).

Interface wise: a button stating “create audio track”. An “arm”/“enabled” toggle for each inserted audio track.

No more hassle setting up and inserting samples when recording any audio.

Wow, it looks like you already have the very advanced tool. Envy gives me not having your knowledge.Of course, take your time.

For my part, I’m going to try to open a new topic in Scriping API section, with the intention of knowing what code is necessary to be able to MIDI route a simple button of a tool, so that it executes a concrete function, for example, to delete a complete track.

I have the code:

},
        vb:button {
          color = { 0x66,0x00,0x00 },
          text = 'CLM',
          id = '33',
          tooltip = '33: Clean all Parameter Columns all Tracks inside selected Group.\n[MOUSE CLICK]',
          midi_mapping = 'Clean All values in Track/Group [Trigger]', <--------- THIS
          height = 24,
          width = 40,
          notifier = function()tool_01_33() end
        },
        vb:button {

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- MIDI/KEY MAPPING
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

renoise.tool():add_midi_mapping {
  name = 'Tools:GT16-Colors:Clean All values in Track/Group [Trigger]', <--------- THIS
  invoke = function()tool_01_33() end
}

But, somehow I have to relate the button to the dropdown menu of the Midi Mapping, so that both work together.Also, I think I need to add code to make the midi work. I’ve taken your VoiceRunner tool as an example, but I see it a bit complicated. :unsure:

If I had a simple tool with a single button to take as an example, it would be great. So I could do my tools with MIDI routing myself.My keyboard is very simple, but it has 8 + 1 buttons, which I can assign to 2 or 3 midi channels. I can add more than 32 specific functions using MIDI routing.Only with these 8 buttons.It would be very helpful.With knowing how to do it with a button, the rest is to repeat.

I do not want to mess with this now here. So I’ll open a new topic…

Not sure what you meant by the first part. My own rule? Keep it simple. Yet, I also tend to break that rule myself :ph34r:

But I think that Finnishcoffee’s scenario is not that uncommon, and that it can be solved in a way that feels “native”.

Btw: I somehow thought I could write the tool yesterday night. Well, only got about 70% of the work done. Here’s a screenshot:

It was enough to prove that the idea is working, but not enough to release the tool. It’s simply not in a functional state, yet.

I’m out of town for a few days - will be back middle of next week. So you lads can expect something to appear by then…

That looks promising. :slight_smile:

In the end, that’s all I need. A way to turn off MIDI in/out on select tracks and the VSTi routed to them, from the controller.

Playing music is all about the instrument (In most of our cases, the MIDI keyboard/controller). Remove the need to look on the computer screen and mouse-klicking or pressing shortcuts like CTRL+T and we’re set.

This is why I fell in love with ReNoise to begin with. It was so simple to map things to the MIDI sliders/knobs/buttons compared to most other DAW out there.
Not only did ReNoise instantly recognise my controller and all it’s available controls, it did it so much better then Studio One for reasons I won’t go into here. :stuck_out_tongue:

How I work with VSTi and ReNoise:

On a sidenote, 8 tracks have been sufficient for me for the most part simply because of the wonderful ability with some VSTi to combine instruments inside the VSTi in itself, the so called “multi-timbral” ones.
In most cases, I have 2-4 tracks with the background sounds, such as a string section, brass, maybe some woodwinds and choirs. Each one of those types may in turn consist of more then one actual sound. All of that done within the VSTi itself. Then there is 2 or more instruments that I play as solo, one at the time, together or taking turns in real time (the volume sliders).
On some occasions, I do percussions, but those are so different from other types of instruments that I tend to make a seperate recording for those alone, on a track outside of the 8 instrumental ones. Track 10 usually…
I then use the Matrix to make notes for myself when they come into play and the matrix also holds the chords for such compositions.

When the chords and percussions are all done, I then begin the real time recording and only glance at the screen to reminds myself of what chord is coming on next bar/beat.
From there on, it’s very often improvised with a basic idea inside my head of what shall be done with the volume sliders to tone in and out selected instruments per track.
The problem arises when one playthrough does not work for whatever reason, usually the limitation of having only two hands and ten fingers <_<
Then I have to play other nuanses and variations on a second and maybe third recording. That is when all the notes being recorded previously that are “silent” become a real problem.
I tried to do this at first by simply adding another 8 tracks right next to the first ones. but then I realised I also had to re-route all the same instruments to those as well as not having the volume sliders on the controller maped to tracks 12-20.

If ReNoise had not recorded all those “silent” notes to begin with, I could just continue Loop Playback of the song and add little things here and there in real-time as I saw fit.
This is what the Arm Record is for and why ReNoise need that as well. :smiley:

Thanks to all you guys interest in this. I don’t regret so much buying the license for Renoise now. Those of you doing these scripted tools and stuff should be paid for your efforts with a piece of that license fee. :wub:

I had an additional idea about this tool that I thought I’d share. You could make it a general “arming” tool, also handling audio recording.

Cool idea, but I don’t think it’s that obvious for this particular tool. Primarily, because this tool assumes you can record multiple inputs at the same time (did you see the video by Finnishcoffee? One of the few dual keyboardists I’ve seen using Renoise :slight_smile: ). And since Renoise is not capable of multitrack recording, the metaphor doesn’t easily translate to this tool - it would have to be a completely different “mode”.

I leave this topic resolved in case someone is interested. It has to do with MIDI routing and LUA tools:

[Solved] Help: Code for MIDI routing of a single button of a tool

Basically it allows to use a simple button of the MIDI keyboard, to control any specific function that occurs to you.The potential of this is incredible!Yes, you can handle any command on the alphanumeric keyboard with the MIDI keyboard (CTRL+T (create Track), CTRL+K (collapse Track) etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc…).

Basically you can control with your MIDI keyboard whatever you want.The only requirement is to create the specific functions with the LUA code.

Thanks to Danoise for the help!You should be a millionaire with everything you bring to Renoise.I hope that Taktik knows how to value you!You are saving the forums! :slight_smile:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/videos-tutorials-for-learning-renoise/42496

I leave this link of a magnificent video of Achenar for using VST/VSTi and Midi Routing, some way related to this topic…

Achenar, thanks you for this!!!Some users will be surprised!

The tool I was teasing here is now a reality

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-midiperformer/47001

The tool I was teasing here is now a reality

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-midiperformer/47001

You have read my mind: there should be a link here. :slight_smile:

Well, Raul, you reminded me :slight_smile:

Are you guys planning to do a bug fix for Redux anytime soon? It’s been over a year since I reported this issue and there hasn’t been a new version since then.

There should beshorter release cycles for renoise, so nobody has to live with these bugs for long. :confused:

Are you guys planning to do a bug fix for Redux anytime soon? It’s been over a year since I reported this issue and there hasn’t been a new version since then.

They just don’t care :wink:

They just don’t care :wink:

That is simply not true.

Which isn’t that much different from what you’d get with other daws. You could try updating your thread with the '[redux bug] ’ in the beginningof your thread subject. More likely is that it was simply not marked as fixed and is fixed in the next bugfix patch (renoise and redux share most of their internals and come out at the same time.) The bug fix patch will come soon in the next 4 months or sooner, there is no doubt about that.

But that’s really not true. Commonly nowadays, most DAW vendors, do bugfixes within a months or so. Even Steinberg! And quite often steadily release little improvements, too. Not so Renoise. You will literally have to wait more than a year for any bugfix, after a final release. This leads to lot of frustration, IMO for good reasons.

It’s also about believing: When you decide for a DAW, you want to get sure it’s not a dead horse. Or a slug.

Regarding work resources: The Renoise team could do a “mass” alpha testing here with the community for the price of making plans public - I am sure lot of people would be happy to help for free. Developing a good development workflow here. Just like cakewalk has a detailed page about planned and currently in work features. Really nice info for new customers. Gives the feeling of security.

That is simply not true.

Which isn’t that much different from what you’d get with other daws. You could try updating your thread with the '[redux bug] ’ in the beginningof your thread subject. More likely is that it was simply not marked as fixed and is fixed in the next bugfix patch (renoise and redux share most of their internals and come out at the same time.) The bug fix patch will come soon in the next 4 months or sooner, there is no doubt about that.

I’m going to have to disagree. Waiting a year and a half for a bug fix release is not exactly normal. In the time I’ve been waiting for this to be fixed Image Line has released an entire new version of FL Studio, not to mention numerous minor releases, and kv331audio has released a ton of fixes and new features for Synthmaster, just to give a couple examples.

That is simply not true.

Yes it is :wink: Here on forum i found bug reports from 2013, 2014 and they are still not solved. Post about Redux is a pure example! Sylnox wrote about bug 23 October 2015. I think that more than one year enough to fix it. How it can be normal that he pay for product with bug that not fixed yet? All products are not for free in shop and no matter 5$ or 55$. It’s customers money.

If you bought a stale bread would you eat it? No. You will return it for a new one because you want good and fresh bread.

Or next example: Automation Editor… It’s a whole story about how crap this one. So many people told to DEVs about this and what we se nowadays? Nothing. All that we see is: “It’s nothing to do with Renoise. We are working on other things…”. And this is not my words, this is official statement from DEVs. This is more than not ok.

Still can’t realise how they can’t see all this gaps in Renoise. I personally don’t care anymore about pianoroll & audiotracks stuff. Huge example of one of this gaps is automation curves locked in patterns. This is a pure facepalm in 2016. But they still don’t care.

Logical words here can be “Yo! Bro, just move on with another DAW if you don’t like Renoise”. Main thing here that i like it! And this DAW has all chances to be greater than others. DEVs should do only one big jump and that’s it. But they don’t want to do it.

Reaper has bug reports thathaven’t been addressedsince the year it was released (and just has a lot of bugs). Cubase still crashes on exit and other scenarios for who knows how long, maybe for ever, same goes with studio one.

Plugin developers are different from daw developers, the scope of their work is very different in size, so don’t compare them.

If waiting a year anda bitfor a bug fix release in a software with very few bugs is considered development death, renoise was deadevery other year since creation.

Consider for a moment that renoise is 68 euro + VAT, no daw costs this little. Consider that you get a full version number in updates, which is a cycle of 4-10 years. Consider the capabilities of any other daw that costs 68 euro. Consider that the main goal of renoise is to be a daw with a tracker interface, not to directly compete with the likes of FL. If you want regular updates you’ll have to pay quite a bit more.

Andrey: Suggestions are an entirely different story, they have no power. It is up to the developer to decide to use them or not…

DEVs should do only one big jump and that’s it. But they don’t want to do it.

Will you pay for their living while they make the jump? If you want improvements to be released at a very frequent rate, go use reaper.Tell me of your findings :stuck_out_tongue: It’s free if you ignore the 4 second nagscreen on start-up.

Will you pay for their living while they make the jump? If you want improvements to be released at a very frequent rate, go use reaper.Tell me of your findings :stuck_out_tongue: It’s free if you ignore the 4 second nagscreen on start-up.

Reaper is far away from Renoise in creativity inspiring aspects, mate. For me at this point Renoise on one stage with Live and Bitwig, if not higher.I use Reaper only if want to warp/stretch audio files.