Is Renoise terminated?

Renoise is just like any other product in that you buy the actual thing, not some potential future version of that thing.

Nope.

https://www.renoise.com/shop

Renoise Digital Audio Workstation
Full version license (3.1 - 4.1)

Your license is valid for one full version. For example, if you start with Renoise 2.7 you’ll get updates up until, and including, 3.7. Our point releases pack features, not just maintenance updates. Check out our release notes and see for yourself what a great value this represents.

Na, it’s not “terminated”, but we’re currently indeed busy with something else which has nothing directly to do with Renoise, but may benefit it on a long term. For this year we’ve only a little Renoise bug fix release planed and a few updates to the contents/libraries.

Either way, use it for what it is and not for what it maybe could be.

Good to get a little feedback and some sage advice. Thank you.

OK I’m back on this forum and I just tried out renoise 3.1 (been using 2.8 previously).
I still have this exact same problem and I feel I have to try explain it different then the first time.

When in “edit” mode - The problem is when using more then one instrument (VST) that Renoise is recording every single keynote on every track at all times.
This is what is creating the problem with recording as an actual musician, meaning real time playing of the select instruments.

What Renoise need is a way to record only some instruments while leaving the others idle. Or to put it in a different perspective, A “Recording” flag per track and/or Instrument so only those are recorded.
I find it mindboggling that this is not there, or maybe I’m just a senile old fart who doesn’t know how to do it. LOL

Example:

Instrument 1 is a piano VST
Instrument 2 is strings VST
Instrument 3 is a Flute VST
Instrument 4 maybe a Choir VST

Recording nr 1 I play only strings and choir, starting with the strings, choirs fading in and out using a MIDI fader to control volume of the track they are routed to.

Problem is, Renoise is recording all 4 instruments on their designated tracks and even though they don’t make sound (Volume to zero) - Program still plays the notes on each one of the VST’s while “Edit” is on and this also means CPU load is same as if all of them were audible. The MUTE button does nothing to change this. It SHOULD prevent any MIDI information, be it Keystrokes, Pitchwheel, modulation or whatnot, from even happening during the recording.

So when I’m done with the strings and choir, I have to actually backtrack and mark every single note in the tracker for the piano and the flute and delete them.
Retardedly timeconsuming and negates the whole idea of using a MIDI controller I think.

Recording 2; Now I want to play the Piano and the Flute. Modulation and Pitchwheel is used on the Flute from time to time and lo and behold… ALL VST.s on that same MIDI channel are modulated and pitched, even when they shouldn’t be because I have no way to turn off recording on those instruments/tracks individually…

What am I missing here? Is there a way to turn off that so it only records the selected instruments and don’t mess with everything else as well just because I have to use MIDI routing for playing multiple VST’s at same time?
It doesn’t make sense that it records all instruments no matter what.

Aside from this and a few minor nuisances, Renoise is the tracker that I like best. There aren’t all that many to choose from to begin with but I don’t like the other DAW’s that has Studio One look.
I’m an old school OctaMED Soundstudio (Amiga era) user and ReNoise is the closest I could find to that one. =)

Also noticed that the Instrument Editor is detachable. But wouldn’t it be nice to detach the Mixer? - I find myself swaping between tracker and mixer a lot. having the mixer on the other monitor would be awesome. :slight_smile:

M.C in Finland

Na, it’s not “terminated”, but we’re currently indeed busy with something else which has nothing directly to do with Renoise, but may benefit it on a long term. For this year we’ve only a little Renoise bug fix release planed and a few updates to the contents/libraries.

Nice to hear some words from you taktik, much appreciated!!

Nope.

https://www.renoise.com/shop

Renoise Digital Audio Workstation
Full version license (3.1 - 4.1)

Sure, you’re absolutely right about the license being valid between versions X.Y and (X+1).Y.

What I meant to say was more along what taktik just said, i.e. that you actually should buy the current existing product rather than some non-existing potential product. As a user you’re granted the license to use the software as-is, but not entitled to have your preferred features implemented.

Sure, you’re absolutely right about the license being valid between versions X.Y and (X+1).Y.

What I meant to say was more along what taktik just said, i.e. that you actually should buy the current existing product rather than some non-existing potential product. As a user you’re granted the license to use the software as-is, but not entitled to have your preferred features implemented.

Yes,Renoise has 14 or 15 years of history. This is what you are buying.What is included in the license (more versions, is an addition to sell more), will come.It is assumed that the users trust the words of Renoise’s team.Obviously there will be improvements and more versions. It’s a matter of time, and also to continue to support by the community (the moment the community disappears, Renoise loses meaning).

OK I’m back on this forum and I just tried out renoise 3.1 (been using 2.8 previously).
I still have this exact same problem and I feel I have to try explain it different then the first time.

etc

Hi!I’m not sure what exactly happens to him.

Do you use the VSTi alias? (/Plugin “VST alias”)

And then you route each VSTi alias to a separate track? (/Plugin “Audio Routing”)

If you do well each VSTi alias ---- track routing,Each track takes control of each VSTi separately. Turn on the silence, and it will work.

For example:

• (in Instrument Box) instrument 00: Label “String”
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 01: VSTi (Kontakt Player + library 01), Audio Routing: Track 01 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 02: VSTi alias (Instrument 01) (Kontakt Player + library 02), Audio Routing: Track 02 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 03:VSTi alias (Instrument 01)(Kontakt Player + library 03), Audio Routing: Track 03 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 04:VSTi alias (Instrument 01)(Kontakt Player + library 04), Audio Routing: Track 04 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 05: Label “Wind”
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 06: VSTi (Kontakt Player + library 01), Audio Routing: Track 05 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 07:VSTi alias (Instrument 06)(Kontakt Player + library 02), Audio Routing: Track 06 (in Pattern Editor)
  • (in Instrument Box) instrument 08:VSTi alias (Instrument 06)(Kontakt Player + library 03), Audio Routing: Track 07 (in Pattern Editor)
  • etc.

The VSTi alias appears in the drop-down menu “Plugins”, when you have already added at least one VST to the instrument box.

Do not confuse “VST” (effect in DSP chain) with “VSTi” (instrument in Plugins).Is not the same.

It is important the “Audio Routing”.For example, the Kontakt 5 allows 44 Buses.You can load 44 libraries at once with 1 VSTi and 43 VSTi alias , and Audio Routing In each Track in the Pattern Editor.Each track controls each VSTI alias separately.This serves to consume less resources of your hardware.You can ignore the VST alias, and use each slot in the instrument box for a separate VSTi (various Kontakt 5, more resources).

When playing an instrument, first select each track associated with the instrument (VSTi or VSTi alias). Active the select automatically the current instrument in Pattern Editor (ALT + SHIFT + Ç).

Use Groups in Pattern Editor to use different effects and common functions (mute various tracks inside the group, gain, reverb…)

I recognize that this is a little confusing.But I guarantee it works fine.I have gotten to load 28 GB of libraries in memory RAM with multitude of VSTi alias.Surprisingly Renoise holds out like a champion (I own 32GB of DDR4 RAM).

If I have not understood correctly what happens to him, apologize for the long message.If you use orchestra instruments, welcome.Renoise is not just for electronic or experimental music.Also serves classical music or broad symphony orchestra.

Note : By the way, “Midi Routing” of each VSTi I think it is done just like “Audio Routing” in Plugins.I do not usually use Midi Routing,Because I record live in steps.For example, I first use a viola for compas (rhythm), and then play the piano separately, then percussion, and stretch the piece, add details, etc.I do not try to control several instruments at a time, but “the idea of here and now”…This way I have more control of what happens, even if it seems the opposite.

@ Raul

Yup. I use the MIDI and Audio routing to make sure all VSTi instruments stay put in a a designated track.
The stuff you are mentioning in your post are new to me. Selecting several tracks at once and using groups? - I didn’t know that existed. Once the VSTi are set up and routed, they don’t play or record in other tracks and I thought that would be sufficient. I’ll have to start the program and look at that.

What happens is that I start recording and play live with the instruments I want to use, say the piano and the flute. The strings and choir tracks are silenced with Volume slider to minimum. I tried using MUTE but that didn’t make a difference.
So when I start playing, ALL instruments produce notes in their tracks. That’s the problem. I can’t figure out a quick and simple way to stop MIDI routed instruments from constantly being recorded without first undo the MIDI routing on them and that very effectively kills my chanses to swap instruments on the fly, while playing.

Each track has a a SOLO and a MUTE. None stops notes from a routed instrument to be recorded.
A third button “RECORD” appears to be what is missing on each track.

Maybe I should simply make a video where i show and tell what’s going on for it’s hard to explain. :smiley:

@ Raul

Yup. I use the MIDI and Audio routing to make sure all VSTi instruments stay put in a a designated track.
The stuff you are mentioning in your post are new to me. Selecting several tracks at once and using groups? - I didn’t know that existed. Once the VSTi are set up and routed, they don’t play or record in other tracks and I thought that would be sufficient. I’ll have to start the program and look at that.

What happens is that I start recording and play live with the instruments I want to use, say the piano and the flute. The strings and choir tracks are silenced with Volume slider to minimum. I tried using MUTE but that didn’t make a difference.
So when I start playing, ALL instruments produce notes in their tracks. That’s the problem. I can’t figure out a quick and simple way to stop MIDI routed instruments from constantly being recorded without first undo the MIDI routing on them and that very effectively kills my chanses to swap instruments on the fly, while playing.

Each track has a a SOLO and a MUTE. None stops notes from a routed instrument to be recorded.
A third button “RECORD” appears to be what is missing on each track.

Maybe I should simply make a video where i show and tell what’s going on for it’s hard to explain. :smiley:

Yes,You can use “Groups” in the Pattern Editor to control endless Tracks at once.You have up to 5 levels of Groups (in Pattern Editor):

• “CTRL + T” = insert a Track
  • “CTRL + G” = insert a Group
  • Clic central button Mouse = Mute Track/Group

It seems like you have a problem with MIDI routing with your keyboard MIDI. If you make a video it would be great :slight_smile:

When recording live, you must select the track related to the “VST instrument” with routed audio.If you play your musical keyboard, Renoise should record notes only on the selected track, not in multiple tracks.

Note: the Groups do not accept notes.I suggest that you master the groups to control types of similar instruments at the same time (volume, gain, mute, solo, etc.)…

I’m currently learning Reason, but for me the phrase based workflow seems much more comfortable, phrasescan be record directly (without messing out the tracks of main interface) usinghttps://www.renoise.com/tools/noodletrap (it has numerous recording options) then they can becleared withhttps://www.renoise.com/tools/voicerunner

after it the phrases as instrument/sampler based clips can be triggered from the tracks (they can be played from any position, can be played reverse, can be transposed, resampled etc. etc. etc.)

I agree with Raul here. The price of Renoise is for a stable product, not the promise of development, which I think is a separate issue.

hey there, you can also set a specific midi channel to each plugin…then set the sound of that plugin to only be routed through a certain track, this way you dont need to look at the screen when changing instruments, just change the channel on the mid controller…eg midi channel 1 for drums…2 for bass…this is how i do it with renoise and my oxygen8v2…sorry if you know this i didnt see anyone else mention it…

have a look under the plugin tab and midi tab…

Renoise has the fairest and transparent pricing and license package on the whole market of DAWs. Plus Redux is one of the best samplers out there.

You buy 2 major development steps and as long as the devs dont get mad and release a halfarsed bigger patch as a new full version step, its all ok.

I use it now 1 year and its still my nr1 tool and its stable like fuck and has almost all you need to prdouce electronic music.

best spent money since my ibanez archtop jazzguitar some 30 plus years ago and my cheap second hand push1 a month ago ;D.even if they would stop development now.

is it possible renoise could be complete, and it’s truly ready to be the stable environment for the tools to flourish?

You may not see it, but each time the backend is changed, each 3rd party tool must be updated to fix the changes that have been made,

thus breaking all our favorite tools, making them non-compliant until each and every tool developer gets to it in their schedule.

and with the quality level of these tools being made, there is no doubt they have a lot on their schedules.

Personally I hope the devs are going for new products, just like they did with Redux. Thereareprobably many new cool products that could be builtfrom portions ofthe Renoise and Reduxcode, so why not explore those possibilites further and start fresh rather than trying to manage some 15+ years of Renoise code…

You may not see it, but each time the backend is changed, each 3rd party tool must be updated to fix the changes that have been made,
thus breaking all our favorite tools, making them non-compliant until each and every tool developer gets to it in their schedule.

That’s not really true. I’m using several tools that were written for 2.8, and they work just fine.

But nevertheless, the problem is real. Some tools break due to API changes, this is unavoidable. What Renoise could do better was to advertise what tools are known to work in newer versions.
I know which of the tools I use are working, because I’m carrying them with me between Renoise versions - they are essential to me. So I take the time to install them, and … well, then I just “happen to know” that AutoClonePatterns (or whatever) is working.

And I wouldn’t ask tool authors to update their tools. Why put out a new version just to make it appear as compatible with the most recent Renoise release? After all, practically nothing has changed under the hood.
Much better if we (Renoise) could get the tools page to properly identify tools that are known to work with version X.X

best spent money since my ibanez archtop jazzguitar some 30 plus years ago and my cheap second hand push1 a month ago ;D.even if they would stop development now.

Man, I really should get around to having my tools support the Pushcontroller.
I’ve generally been sceptical of large controllers that promise this “away from the screen” workflow. Push is different, it really does seem to have every major feature integrated (encoders, pads, ribbons and some tiny LED/screen even).
Thought of borrowing a unit from a friend, but, yeah, second-hand for a first-gen Push is definitely an option now in late 2016.

IMHO really a pity, that you guys don’t seem to have the motivation to improve Renoise to reach some common standards most of us here begging for along time. Well ok, trying to accept this. I guess the other thing you mentioned will be some multi fx vst plugin, containing all Renoise fx? If so, will it also contain doofer and meta concepts? Or will Redux get a fx only variant? That would be nice to have when I use another DAW…

cool, last time that there was word about work on “something else which has nothing directly to do with Renoise…” redux 1.0 came out, so I now speculate that redux 1.1 is soon to be out and ready, and will offer a glimpse on new features ready for renoise 3.2…

cool, last time that there was word about work on “something else which has nothing directly to do with Renoise…” redux 1.0 came out, so I now speculate that redux 1.1 is soon to be out and ready, and will offer a glimpse on new features ready for renoise 3.2…

I do not think it has anything to do with Redux, either.

Personally I hope the devs are going for new products, just like they did with Redux. Thereareprobably many new cool products that could be builtfrom portions ofthe Renoise and Reduxcode, so why not explore those possibilites further and start fresh rather than trying to manage some 15+ years of Renoise code…

I think Renoise has a long way to go. Losing time in other things or products would be the end of Renoise.Any time not invested in Renoise is a negative blow.The reason is the long wait between versions. it is heartbreaking!

IMHO really a pity, that you guys don’t seem to have the motivation to improve Renoise to reach some common standards most of us here begging for along time. Well ok, trying to accept this.

I agree with your thoughts. Sad about the boss’s news.I think many of us also think the same, but they do not comment, because that’s what there is.I suppose there will only be one version 3.1.1, with its corrections and little else. Version 3.2 will come in late 2017 or 2018, supposedly.