is running a multiple daw worth it

Hey,

I 'm considering to buy Cubase elements or studio one , i already own Logic Pro and i intend to keep using it

Is it useful to run a second daw for mixing or whatever?

It’s a preference thing. Some people do it so obviously it is worth it to them. To me I think it’s an unnecessary hassle in most cases

Thanks you’re true i stick to one daw , thanks bro

I use 2 daws…
But I got a reason: so lets be usefull and explain a bit.
There are 2 main workflows followed in my music-cookery. A strictly hardware based. And, a renoise based.

The hardware method =
take a bunch of hardware, play with it -> record straight to video on a zoom q3hd. which results in a videofile which is nice and useable, but has to be trimmed. and it does not contain any time/sync information.
which sucks ass. because it makes it unusable for the other stuff i like to do with it… So i needed a daw, that was linear, could eat my video-files and allowed me to : trim / “master” (as in I wanna win the loudness war and all that dumb-assery you should not) and do some basic video-editing… I can do allot with renoise… but this i could not do… So I ended up with Reaper.
So hooray: I could edit my video/audio and add timecode information…

The Renoise method =
Take a bunch of field recordings / samples or whatever. throw it in renoise… treat renoise as a giant sampling mangling modular synth sample workstation.
and end up with very easy syncable files, but without video… But, I got softies to help me with video… but i got to add it to the audio.
for this, i go back to Reaper… and add the video-files…

So hooray:
now i got a library of syncable videofiles with nice audio… which once in a while I bundle up and edit together, again in reaper due to the linear nature, and the video’s.
and end up with a little Ep-lenght piece of music… and or video…

Or atleast thats the theory… in reality I am still working on fragments of my methods, because i am a geeky person who loves to tinker with stuff… its almost as much fun as making music itself.

But to be honest: if I would just make music… and not bother about recording and all the other little weird things that keep me happy…
i would just do my thing in renoise… and share whatever i render… or record the audio of my hardware jams… and probably trim them in some sample-editor… then having 2 daws

Each program u use, comes with housekeeping and other chores (keep it updated/learning the tricks/keeping your libraries or whatever sorted) so the less programs you use… the less chores and whatnot you get.
the less messy. and the least amount of non-fun-work…

I use two Daws as well and agree that it’s personal preference.
I use one to write/sequence, create a rough mix and then export stems to another daw for finalizing.
I find it beneficial for me to work in this way, as separating these processes helps me to concentrate on them individually.
Whatever works for you.

As a good partner I suggest to look at Ardour DAW since it does exacly what renoise lacks, works well with jack. Best combo on linux.

…Each program u use, comes with housekeeping and other chores (keep it updated/learning the tricks/keeping your libraries or whatever sorted) so the less programs you use… the less chores and whatnot you get.
the less messy. and the least amount of non-fun-work…

I am strangley attracted to said housekeeping. Currently I am renaming approx 20,000 samples to a dedicated hard drive with specific categories for those samples. F2, CTRL ←, type new name or prefix (or paste previously copied one), tab to next file.

Rinse and repeat. Weirdly satisfying. Maybe thats just me.

I am strangley attracted to said housekeeping. Currently I am renaming approx 20,000 samples to a dedicated hard drive with specific categories for those samples …

lol. I’m with you Abissus. I’ve got GIGs of samples, cleaned, categorized and stored. It just seemed to be an accumulation of years of obsessive "Don’t erase that! It might sound good with something later on … " thinking. :slight_smile:

I am strangley attracted to said housekeeping. Currently I am renaming approx 20,000 samples to a dedicated hard drive with specific categories for those samples. F2, CTRL ←, type new name or prefix (or paste previously copied one), tab to next file.

Rinse and repeat. Weirdly satisfying. Maybe thats just me.

Wow , i have that too alot , I do like to be organized but sometimes i go too far that i create in 2 days 4 gmail accounts lol

lol. I’m with you Abissus. I’ve got GIGs of samples, cleaned, categorized and stored. It just seemed to be an accumulation of years of obsessive "Don’t erase that! It might sound good with something later on … " thinking. :slight_smile:

Precisely. My thinking in this regard is also, if it’s unique it can be used.

In fact, going through my samples, I stumbled across a kick that somehow didn’t save properly or the like and was just a very short click. I was going to delete it, but decided to test its usability and ended up constructing a kit from it’s various notes/octaves.

Wow , i have that too alot , I do like to be organized but sometimes i go too far that i create in 2 days 4 gmail accounts lol

I too have multiple email accounts. However, they mostly all serve a function.

Sometimes I open a new account for spam that I retire when it becomes too bloated.

On the housekeeping:

Samples are not my big problem. I got those neatly sorted on my harddrive…
Renoise-instruments are starting to get a smaller problem by the day, as i spend lots and lots and lots of time figureing out how to turn my sample collection
into for me useable instruments… (In short: The techniques i liked, and learned on my hardware machines… i am translating into instruments)
So my library of instruments are little virtual octatracks and machinedrums and mc909’s and that type o stuff…

Things I did not master, are things like textures and small video-bits for my visual-experimentations (which I mainly do in blender)…

Its “easy” to make fancy short video’s… but my ultimate go is to make long winded testiments of my ego :slight_smile: (really complicated stuff that lasts for hours).
Which is doable… but you get so many little bits of whatever fragments that makes 1 giant whole… that well. I got lost in the pile of stuff…
and needed to rethink my idea and start over, but with better knowledge/experience/whatever…

Loading samples into an instrument is a great way to organise and consolidate.
That will be my next endeavor. Particularly for orchestral instrument samples that are separated into chromatic scale etc.
Asigning each sampled note to it’s corresponding keyboard note is very efficient.
I can’t help but get a little excited about said efficiency.
“Long winded testaments to my ego”, I like that one.

Hey,

I 'm considering to buy Cubase elements or studio one , i already own Logic Pro and i intend to keep using it

Is it useful to run a second daw for mixing or whatever?

I don’t know how you use Logic right now, but here’s what I’d do if I were you…

1. Create your song, however you do it

2. Bounce your stems

3. Load the stems into Logic and mix

I don’t use Logic, but it is an amazing DAW. I don’t know what you’d need a second DAW for mixing (“or whatever” :P). If you think it would be helpful then I’d at least experiment with the kind of workflow you’d use – which would mean bouncing stems (or maaaybe Rewire).