Is there a way to skip around samples using a master FX command?

Probably better to explain using a short video. As you can see, I want to use a master command to jump around all the samples collectively. I know you can use an SXX on one sample at a time but I’m wondering if there is a way to jump backwards in a track and then forwards again using FX commands. Right now, I am able to do it manually by using the mouse to rapidly jump to the start point of different patterns in the song.

Below is a demo I made to explain the situation. Sorry for the bad audio.

This would make an awesome glitch effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I looked over the list of FX commands and did not see anything that would let you set a pattern or line number.

But there’s a command to send MIDI messages, and I wonder if you can send MIDI from Renoise back to itself. Then use a custom MIDI action (in GlobalMidiActions.lua) to jump around a song.

I think this would require the use of an intermediary tool, like LoopBe or MIDI OX (on Windows at least).

New Tool (3.4) chunk_chops
Think you might want to familiarize your self with this new tool from @unless :point_up:

1 Like

I could imagine a tool where putting sample commands like that in the master effects column would propagate it through all tracks, similar to chunk chops.

2 Likes

While toolable is cool, an added and/or updated pattern command to the global commands would be great for skipping around patterns. We already have the break pattern command (Effect Commands - Renoise User Manual);

( * ZBxx - Break pattern. The current pattern finishes immediately and jumps to next pattern at line xx (remember that although this value is hexadecimal pattern lines are usually displayed as decimals).)

…where you can define from which position you’ll jump to the next position of the next pattern. How about defining the pattern nr as well so you can jump back in time? Add a maybe command and crazy glitches will be obtained :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

Yea that would be a game changer!