Is there such thing as a polyphonic filter?

is it the same as ‘polyphonic modulation filters’ as described in the version 3.10 release notes:

“All new digital and analog styled zero delay filters with saturation and optional oversampling - everywhere. digital = bread and butter - clean. Analog = warm, with character. The new filters are offered as two new standalone DSP devices - “Digital Filter” and “Analog Filter”, as polyphonic modulation filters, and are used internally in many existing and updated DSP devices (e.g. the Chorus device).”

What does ‘polyphonic modulation filters’ actually mean?

If memory serves, I’d read somewhere that a certain person wouldn’t use renoise because it lacked ‘polyphonic filters’? Is that a thing?

TIA

No, the filter inside the instrument filters are meant here, I guess. FX-Filters a.k.a. post fx-filters cannot be polyphonic, only if you split up into mono tracks.

It means that these filters will exist in one instance per voice. Polyphony = multiple “voices” (chords etc.) at once. Polyphonic filters means each voice (i.e. every note) will have its own (virtual) instance of such a filter, with independent cutoff and resonance. Closest you can get with “monophonic filters” is using several instances and spread the notes along them. It’s like the difference of pumping a chord through one filter (monophonic) or evey single note of that chord through its own filter (polyphonic) before they are mixed together.

Set up key-tracking and/or an envelope on the filter in the modulation tab in the sampler… play two notes, and you’ll hear (and see) them each with their own envelopes being triggered.

mrblitz, a helpful way to think about issues concerning polyphony might be to think about every process/signal you deal with in terms of digital audio, i.e. a string of numbers. If you logic through any problem, you would have to identify the points at which a signal can be parsed, and summing reduces the number of these points. Frequently this simple, numbers in/numbers out model helps me to think about the ways in which how I alter a signal affects what I can do with it downstream. Short answer, as pat says, keytracking.