To come back to the original question, to me several breaktrough could still be made for Tracker- DAW :
1) Having a better song mode : when building a song by chaining patterns, in the pattern matrix it woud be nice to be able :
- mute/unmute some tracks (which can be already be done)
- tranpose/force to scale melodic tracks the pattern
- set a tempo
- set a start/end point (i.e start at line X and stop at line Y)
That would basically means being able to sequence the sequencer
2) Having concurrent tracks : each track could have :
- a clock multiplier/divider
- a different length
- played forward/reverse/ping ping/random, or being able to play the step in any order.
3) The pattern editor could be made touchscreen friendly, like the step sequencer of Pigment for instance.
4) Midi map should be defined at the instrument level, and not only at the song level. So that we could design instruments that could be edited with hardware controller.
5) Expressivity : for renoise instrument, it would be nice to rethink the way expressivity works : normally velocity, pitch bend, aftertouch, mod wheel, should work in the same way (currently velocity is handled differently from others).
Having an “expressivity” section , that would make it easier to assign all these controllers to several destinations would be nice.