Is V4 going to have a more usable interface?

If it’s all about keyboard shortcuts, then I’m guessing, and I might be wrong, that you’d probably be happy with a tracker that runs in a terminal if it had extensive enough of options.

Yeah!

Though it’d have to be a curses-type interface, not just a CLI or REPL[0].

And you’d need a way to have a couple external popup windows for checking the FFT, scopes and sample wave editor. Those are really kind of hard to successfully do in pure textmode.

Probably possible to get those analysis tools with some clever JACK routings. Hm, might be worth checking that out anyhow, some of tools external tools have features that Renoise’s built-in FFT/scopes don’t have.

[0] making music with an interactive REPL is of course super awesome and magical, but that’s even further out there than a spartan tracker interface :slight_smile:

The user interface is extremely usable imo. The interface changes, albeit a bit confusing for folks who are use to how it looked from 2.8 and before may have to relearn it, but I like it. I’d wish they would bring things like the Full Screen button back or the fine loop editor would be great. Maybe save more real estate by making minor changes but so far I think it’s pretty cool.

I’ve fared well enough without a scroll wheel. Also I love R3.
14756.png

Heyyy! We’re mousebros! Thought I was the only one. :slight_smile: Great trackball, Imo.

Protip: Got one in the office also, where I use windows; did you know there’s a free application “marble mouse wheel” (or smthn like that), with which you can use the ball as mousewheel!

I love the new interface and I agree, you can’t please everyone. Sure it sucked a little having to find things again but that’s what you get when things change. You know, if you have a new Renoise user that started on v3 that’s all they knew and then you made them use v2.x, there’s a good chance they’d say that the older version is not usable.

I could never go back to v2.x now.

With the introduction of new features, some parts could now use a loving hand.

Loading instruments and samples just isn’t as smooth as before. This is something we use all the time, it should be max efficient.

Oh and I really dislike the accordion menu in the sampler area, it’s just awful to use :badteeth:

Heyyy! We’re mousebros! Thought I was the only one. :slight_smile: Great trackball, Imo.

Protip: Got one in the office also, where I use windows; did you know there’s a free application “marble mouse wheel” (or smthn like that), with which you can use the ball as mousewheel!

Word up! I love it as well, and can wreck shop in first-person-shooters and everything (when I’m not renoising, of course :badteeth: )

I tried that marble app for a while, but didn’t like it. I ended up going back to stock. FWIW – I also tried out the Kensington SlimBlade because of the integrated scroll technology – it was terrible, and highly recommend against it.

Word up! I love it as well, and can wreck shop in first-person-shooters and everything (when I’m not renoising, of course :badteeth: )

I tried that marble app for a while, but didn’t like it. I ended up going back to stock. FWIW – I also tried out the Kensington SlimBlade because of the integrated scroll technology – it was terrible, and highly recommend against it.

Is there a way of zooming/scrolling using the track ball with the stock SW? Thats the only thing thats stopping me from using it (really need it for the sample editor!!)

Is there a way of zooming/scrolling using the track ball with the stock SW? Thats the only thing thats stopping me from using it (really need it for the sample editor!!)

Not that I know of, but keyboard shortcuts! Ctrl+Alt+S and Ctrl+Alt+A are my friends :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve only used v3.0 for a week and it seems very good. If something, I liked the old filebrowser better as it was static and not resized with the program window.

I come as a new perspective, having only driven the demo of 2.8 a few times. I liked the interface though and was concerned when I heard v3 was a big change. Kinda put me off buying at the time till I saw what was what. I own 6 daws so I have spent a good amount of time simply fumbling around a program.

Bought it last week and have been pleasantly surprised by the workflow. Definitely prefer the browser on the side.

I did take way too long looking for the sample properties. Tucked in there hidden is not helping screen space or workflow.

Avoidable crippling of an interface is certainly nonsensical, but I am upset by the OP’s implicit argument that something difficult necessarily requires dumbing down. I’ve lived my life by the tenet that, at every stage, it is rather me that needs smartening up! In recent years this philosophy has been borne out by the observation that the most difficult systems to master are also the most powerful and rewarding. Protools might indeed be the way to go if there’s some kind of time pressure to produce drag-and-drop hits. In other words, perhaps the OP is confounding ‘difficult to learn’ with ‘difficult to use’.

Something like a quick-start guide or newbie tutorial is a great crutch to begin with. However fluency and competence increasingly demand elegance and efficiency, and an efficient manual is one of the most important components of a powerful system.

It would be a real shame if the ecosystem of DAWs were to be stunted in terms of powerful and esoteric species, and increasingly biased towards the intuitive and populist species—which is not to say that those aren’t as important! Things like these will always be propped up by nerds. The more cynical nerds might worry that having a very low price tag compared to the big guns that are stuffed with licensed third party content and technology might bias development decisions towards users who would prefer a big guns experience with a tracker pricetag.