Is V4 going to have a more usable interface?

What happened? You made such basic things in V3 so difficult to do, and it seems you have no intention of making it easier in the future, based on the responses to people’s concerns.

Similar options should be clustered together, but you now have them spread all over the screen. I was FLOORED when I found out where “sample properties” was hidden. On the bottom left of the screen? Did you fail GUI 101?

And then CRUICIAL options are placed there in a way that NOBODY would be able to find, like simply being able to set a sample loop. Like being able to auto-adjust the sample loop borders to find a decently loopable point–instead you make it easy to do a crossfade that modifies the actual sample, but I still haven’t figured out where you hid the options to do that simple auto-loop-borders stuff, and I’ve multiple times looked in the poorly-written FAQ that I can’t find anything with a search. It used to be so easy to do some of these things, the visual interface made it very obvious how it worked. Now I can’t figure out hardly anything visually with this version.

It’s almost like you said “Well, we have these options we’ve had for a long time, they’re standard, and we need to utilize the screen space better, so let’s just move this here and here and here. What do you mean where they were placed before and how they’re next to each other and how they visually look helps people use it? We need to utilize the screen better, they can just read the FAQ if they don’t understand.”

This program takes being technical to a WHOLE new level, there’s nothing intuitive about this new version. It’s like it’s made for technicians, not musicians. I’ve considered myself a pretty technical person, but V3 just goes so far over my head most of the time that I don’t know what to do, and most of it is because of the way things are categorized–I can’t visually find anything.

I can’t find jack in the FAQ. It’s almost like you expect people to read the entire manual in its entirety before even starting to use the program. And the manual is written for total obsessive techheads–there’s no simple wording on anything, nothing is written in a “dummies” series of books sort of way, and it’s certainly not written for musicians. It’s like, instead of saying “this is what you use to set the loop”, you say something like “used to define the looping properties when rlehrelhfd the dlfenofeonf for the [something else that is defined in renoise itself and nowhere else]” Nothing is simple in the FAQ. Again, it’s like it isn’t written for musicians, it’s written for technicians. I’m trying to use a MUSIC program, I want musical and studio and audio equipment terminology, not PURELY computer technical terminology. I want to be able to search for musical and audio equipment properties and find what I’m looking for. With your current FAQ, that’s just not possible and hasn’t been for a while. But at least your older versions could be learned visually, so the FAQ wasn’t nearly as required.

In my opinion, any program that requires THAT kind of purely technical-based studying for THAT long is a poorly-written interface. Good interfaces you can tinker with and learn and get things done. For instance, I learned Photoshop almost completely on my own. Photoshop is written for artists. I THOUGHT Renoise was written for musicians.

V3 is NOT a program you can tinker with to learn if you come from it from purely a musician’s perspective. You’ve made this GUI as hard to use as a CLI. Sure, the CLI is very powerful, but… it’s a CLI.

I wish many of your icons were better, and I wish you had an individual icon to represent most functions. Some of the options have a visual cue such as the word “off” and we’re supposed to just guess what that means. You refuse to use color in your icons, you refuse to make your icons big enough to know what they are, it’s this constant guessing game as to what the heck the option is, and you haven’t finished doing help balloons, so people can’t hover over EVERY element on the screen to figure out what things are–I mean, at least that’s a way of learning a program–visually. But that doesn’t work in Renoise, there’s no learning this program visually. There’s no rational or logical way of learning this program without spending hours and hours reading your FAQ, which I don’t personally have the kind of attention span to be able to just sit down and read. I want to use the program, not sit there and study it for weeks without using it, especially since I’ve been using versions of it since 2004, or is it 2003?

ProTools is a BREEZE compared to Renoise V3, including the complex functions. I learned ProTools through tinkering, just like I learned Photoshop.

Please learn to cluster similar options together. If a primary option is on the top right of the screen, don’t make utterly CRUCIAL options related to it on the bottom left of the screen that don’t even show up until you click a \ *word * on the screen. Use icons that visually make sense that allow it to be told what it is other than “well, this little shape I have memorized as meaning THIS option” or “well, it says ‘off’ so that must be the right option”.

And come on: A GEAR icon that someone is supposed to click to give them different listing options for a panel? That should have been a list icon, not a gear icon. A gear icon assumes a different set of options. Like I said, this version is the most horrible somewhat-professional program visually to learn that I’ve ever run across.

I mean, if you’re going to split things up like that, and there’s not enough room on the screen, why not utilize menus at the top more and categorize them in the “standard” way that most programs with a top menu are set up? Some categorization that has some inkling of familiarity with other software, something people can use to attach with to make it easier to use.

And really, learn how to use graphics in a beneficial way, have distinct sections on the screen for specific functions, and have the ability to label areas of the screen, to label different panels, give an option to put a title on those areas of the screen. Make this a program that an everyday musician could just pick up and start using instead of this thing that you have to study the FAQ for weeks just to START using.

I understand that you’re wanting to fit a lot on the screen, but you’ve visually cut WAY too many corners in V3. It’s truly awful to try to learn. Yes, it’s pretty to look at, but that’s not what a good GUI is about.

I think V3 is awesome and very usable. Can’t please everyone, I guess

Also, loop controls from the manual

Uff a lot to read. Its true that Renoise is kind of hard to learn. But i think every tracker have this issue. Renoise is not ProTools. For me Renoise is more for keyboard driven people. I do alot with shortcuts and i love to work with keyboard. I came from Reason. After some done work in Renoise, i like to do more in Renoise, because i’m faster. Reason doesn’t have this kind of keyboard drivencapability, which i love. Too bad, that i don’t know how Renoise 2 was, so i cant compare both versions.

@pat: Exactly, Renoise V3 is awesome.

I think V3 is awesome and very usable. Can’t please everyone, I guess

Also, loop controls from the manual

Yes, I’m well aware of the manual. I’ve read through that section several times. Show me where it says how to turn the loop on and off, and visually what someone is supposed to look for. It doesn’t say “look for ‘off’”. One is just supposed to somehow guess that “off” is what they should look for and click on to set the loop. It’s not labeled appropriately.

Uff a lot to read. Its true that Renoise is kind of hard to learn. But i think every tracker have this issue. Renoise is not ProTools. For me Renoise is more for keyboard driven people. I do alot with shortcuts and i love to work with keyboard. I came from Reason. After some done work in Renoise, i like to do more in Renoise, because i’m faster. Reason doesn’t have this kind of keyboard drivencapability, which i love. Too bad, that i don’t know how Renoise 2 was, so i cant compare both versions.

@pat: Exactly, Renoise V3 is awesome.

If it’s all about keyboard shortcuts, then I’m guessing, and I might be wrong, that you’d probably be happy with a tracker that runs in a terminal if it had extensive enough of options.

To me, if a good program is supposed to launch trackers into the future, you don’t head back towards concepts in tracker programs that ran in terminals. I shouldn’t have to put on a CLI mindset to use a modern program that supposedly has a good GUI. There’s nothing worse than having to memorize a bunch of proprietary terminology and match it to some manual before you can even start using a program. That’s a CLI mindset. It’s the “RTFM before you do ANYTHING” mindset, and I’m not down. Earlier versions weren’t this way.

Hey Kizzume, in all that frustration you’re definitely raising some valid points

I was FLOORED when I found out where “sample properties” was hidden. On the bottom left of the screen? Did you fail GUI 101?

I agree, it’s far too easy to overlook, and most of the time the sample list above it does not contain more than a few samples.

It should be expanded per default.

Nothing is simple in the FAQ. Again, it’s like it isn’t written for musicians, it’s written for technicians.

By FAQ, you mean the Quickstart guide?
Shame on Renoise for not having published version 3 of this guide, because yes, it’s pretty essential. Current one is dealing with 2.8.

But I generally think there is a general problem with the Quickstart being a bit like a reference, considering that everything is covered (and more up to date) on tutorials.renoise.com
Instead, we could re-imagine it being more centered about typical “situations” - learning each part of the program as series of successive/meaningful actions

For example:

Chapter 1: Getting started

• What was that tracker thing again? (keyboard, vertical patterns, and hexidecimal sample-commands)
  • Setting up the audio card (input and output)

Chapter 2: Loading and playing a song

• Using the disk browser (picking a folder, loading a song)
  • Using the transport to start - and stop - playback. First keyboard shortcut learned: SPACE
  • Adjusting the volume and tempo (now you can DJ with Renoise!)
  • Using track scopes to toggle tracks on and off
  • Using the “song follow” feature to make the cursor follow the playback position. Keyboard shortcut learned: SCR LOCK
  • Looping a pattern (single pattern via transport, or multiple patterns via pattern sequencer).
  • Anything else?

Chapter 3: Entering notes (pattern editor)

• Playing notes vs. entering notes (edit mode)
  • Keyboard is mandatory (return of “what was that tracker thing”)
  • Anatomy of a track: note/vol/pan/delay/effect columns
  • Previewing a sound (which keys on the PC keyboard actually play notes? can I play via a MIDI keyboard instead?)
  • Edit mode: how to enter notes (…), delete a note (DELETE), stop a sound (CAPS)
  • Clipboard: cutting and pasting selections using the mouse + CTRL/X/C/V, as well as keyboard shortcuts for patterns, tracks and columns
  • Effect commands: demonstrate a few, such as backward/forward and slice
  • Other important things?

Chapter 4: samples and instruments

• About plugins, midi and the renoise sampler
  • Introduction to plugins (plugin tab)
  • specify a plugin folder (preferences)
  • once done scanning for plugins, choose one
  • using scopes, you can choose a track
  • how it can be controlled via automation (instr. automation device)
  • Introduction to the the sampler (sampler tab)
  • how to load an instrument/sample (“same thing”, any sample is a renoise instrument)
  • the structure of a renoise instrument (just a few words on samples, keyzone, modulation and fx)
  • how to loop and process a sample (sample properties) - tip: autoseek on long samples
  • how it can be controlled via automation (instr. macro device)

Chapter 5: adding effects

• Renoise can use either native effects or effect plugins
  • Effects are applied to the track in which the sound is playing, or internally in the Renoise instrument
  • A track can make use of any number of effects, and/or send its audio to other (send/group) tracks
  • Chaining: multiple effects make up a a DSP chain (copy, paste, save to disk, store as preset)
  • Chains (and tracks) are processed from left to right, re-arranging devices (or tracks) can change the overall sound (DIST->FILTER vs. FILTER->DIST)
  • Demonstrate loading/swapping DSP chains inside a track (via disk browser) - also: fx-chain presets (instrument)
  • Recording an effect parameter (automation, via right-click slider) - also: How do I use my MIDI controller to control a parameter?

Chapter 6: putting it all together (pattern sequencer + matrix)

• A song is composed from series of successive patterns playing in vertical order (also: sorted vs. unsorted)
  • Using the pattern sequence to insert, duplicate and remove, assign a name to the pattern etc.
  • Use the matrix for overview (every track in every pattern), to toggle (mute) and cut/copy large parts (CTRL+drag)

Yes, I’m well aware of the manual. I’ve read through that section several times. Show me where it says how to turn the loop on and off, and visually what someone is supposed to look for. It doesn’t say “look for ‘off’”. One is just supposed to somehow guess that “off” is what they should look for and click on to set the loop. It’s not labeled appropriately.

AFAIK the loop switch has always been like this. Hiding inside the sample editor.

Understandable if you have been thrown off because of the many other changes in R3

It’s in the exact section that I linked you to directly. From Loop Controls in the manual. It has an image of the loop control setting, explains what it does and how to use it.

I’m not an interface person at all. I have no idea how you’d be able to make renoise obviously usable without ever having to look at the manual. I just don’t see that as feasible.

Anyway, I like the manual. It’s comprehensive and well-written, in my opinion. You disagree, and that’s fine. I realize you brought up a lot more stuff than just loop points. I think you will have difficulty if you expect to use renoise without ever looking at the manual.

I guess I’m just a bit confused about your specific criticism of the manual. Here are the search results for loopand the second result takes you to the sampler waveform page. Do a find for “loop” on that page and it takes you straight to loop controls, with images showing the icons along with explanations of the behavior.

Best of luck to you in your renoise usage.

It’s in the exact section that I linked you to directly. From Loop Controls in the manual. It has an image of the loop control setting, explains what it does and how to use it.

I’m not an interface person at all. I have no idea how you’d be able to make renoise obviously usable without ever having to look at the manual. I just don’t see that as feasible.

Anyway, I like the manual. It’s comprehensive and well-written, in my opinion. You disagree, and that’s fine. I realize you brought up a lot more stuff than just loop points. I think you will have difficulty if you expect to use renoise without ever looking at the manual.

I guess I’m just a bit confused about your specific criticism of the manual. Here are the search results for loopand the second result takes you to the sampler waveform page. Do a find for “loop” on that page and it takes you straight to loop controls, with images showing the icons along with explanations of the behavior.

Best of luck to you in your renoise usage.

It doesn’t show the image of “off”. It shows other images, but not that one. It doesn’t even explain that the way it would look by default is “off”.

It doesn’t show the image of “off”. It shows other images, but not that one. It doesn’t even explain that the way it would look by default is “off”.

It shows the selector in the “Forward” state. It’s the only selector at the bottom of the sample waveform, and it’s right next to the same icons that it’s explained with in the manual. And one of the options - which the manual explains - is “Off”. If you read the part of the documentation I linked you to, you’ll see the icon and the options for it.

It shows the selector in the “Forward” state. It’s the only selector at the bottom of the sample waveform, and it’s right next to the same icons that it’s explained with in the manual. And one of the options - which the manual explains - is “Off”. If you read the part of the documentation I linked you to, you’ll see the icon and the options for it.

I already said that it doesn’t explain that “off” is the default, and it doesn’t show a picture of it. Who cares if it shows the selector in the “forward” state? How does one even get to it? The manual doesn’t tell you that. It doesn’t show a picture, it doesn’t say that “off” is the default. It doesn’t give any visual clues at all.

When they split the buttons up like that as visuals, it makes it very hard to tell what I’m reading. They should have shown those options in the context in which they appear in the program, highlighted them, and then explained that’s how they work. The current manual is very confusing.

When they split the buttons up like that as visuals, it makes it very hard to tell what I’m reading. They should have shown those options in the context in which they appear in the program, highlighted them, and then explained that’s how they work. The current manual is very confusing.

This is the difference between a reference and an instructional manual. They’re really two different kinds of writing and arrangement. I agree that Renoise could benefit (as a community as well as an app) from better instruction.

Fair enough. I hope there’s eventually an instruction manual instead of just a reference manual. I do think that if they’re going to show pictures of options and talk about them, they should at least be shown visually in context with where they are in the program. Have a screenshot of the program and highlight that part of the screenshot when describing the option, don’t just clip out the option individually and show it that way.

I was FLOORED when I found out where “sample properties” was hidden. On the bottom left of the screen? Did you fail GUI 101?

The instrument editor now contains everything dealing with samples, vsti plugins & midi etcetera, you act like the sample properties are hidden inside the preferences tab or something. Imo it makes sense to have it there. Maybe you was floored because the panel was hidden by default / needed to be expanded to be seen after install?

I think the folder tree structure in the diskop is also hidden by default after first install, needs to be expanded through dragging a line between the instrument selector and default diskop view. No big deal, but I don’t see why such helpful features should be hidden by default?

And then CRUICIAL options are placed there in a way that NOBODY would be able to find, like simply being able to set a sample loop. Like being able to auto-adjust the sample loop borders to find a decently loopable point–instead you make it easy to do a crossfade that modifies the actual sample, but I still haven’t figured out where you hid the options to do that simple auto-loop-borders stuff, and I’ve multiple times looked in the poorly-written FAQ that I can’t find anything with a search. It used to be so easy to do some of these things, the visual interface made it very obvious how it worked. Now I can’t figure out hardly anything visually with this version.

Can see why this would go over yer head when trying Renoise for a first time, just having ‘off’ in the sample editor doesn’t tell you it is the selector for setting loop modes. Not that it makes it a good thing, but hasn’t it always been like this? Can’t remember this being a problem before. If you hover the mouse above icons, it gives hints what it is supposed to do (most of the time :)).

Loop fine-tuning, and a few other buttons dealing with loop markers have been removed, there are threads about it. Maybe search, bump them and make your case, maybe they’ll return in a future update?

Sucks when workflow takes a dent from gui elements being shuffled around, even removed in an update, but often it is a matter of giving the changes time, dealing with it. Weighing the pro’s against the cons of this update, I wont go back to 2.8. I think you need to give it more time.

They removed the fine-tuning loop editor. I’m done. I’m going back to a non-crippled version.

This is by far one of the most important options in the program, and you’ve removed it!!!

Don’t you tell me to give this piece of shit crippled software a chance.

flol @ most important option, than throwing power chords. How about using the scrollwheel of a mouse to zoom-in on the waveform and moving markers as a workaround, to technical?

Takes too long, and the interface has been hell to use already, I don’t know what else has been crippled in V3, so I’m going back to 2.8 to keep myself from being stopped completely in my tracks when writing a song. If you’ve crippled/removed that, I see no reason why other important options wouldn’t be removed as well.

Right now I’m trying to figure out how to save a song in a way that I can use in 2.8.

(edited to change “you’ve crippled” to “has been crippled”, since it could potentially be taken as a personal attack, which it was not meant as)

I wouldn’t call the new interface crippled, I think any DAW or tracker can have a big learning curve and V3 changed so much at once that it’s like relearning half the program but…the loop editor is definitely missed

I wouldn’t call the new interface crippled, I think any DAW or tracker can have a big learning curve and V3 changed so much at once that it’s like relearning half the program but…the loop editor is definitely missed

Hello? They blatantly got rid of an entire option. Completely gone. That’s crippled.

flol @ most important option, than throwing power chords. How about using the scrollwheel of a mouse to zoom-in on the waveform and moving markers as a workaround, to technical?

I’ve fared well enough without a scroll wheel. Also I love R3.

14756.png

I think OP has a valid point. Henceforth, I suggest the guiding principle for any change in the Renoise GUI should be: “lower the learning threshold/curve for new users”. It’s a very ‘technical’ software already, and in most cases this principle would satisfy accustomed users in terms of usability as well.

I think OP has a valid point. Henceforth, I suggest the guiding principle for any change in the Renoise GUI should be: “lower the learning threshold/curve for new users”. It’s a very ‘technical’ software already, and in most cases this principle would satisfy accustomed users in terms of usability as well.

Along that line, we could really use an updated Beginners Tutorial series. All the basic information in there is fine, but just the fact that everything looks completely different now could really throw a lot of newbies off.

And in addition to that, an overview video of the changes in 3.0 would be nice. I guess most of us just plowed through that the old fashioned way by now though.