Key Tracking And Velocity Tracking In Instrument Envelopes

kazakore,

You wrote:

Yes! That is exactly what I was trying to ask for! :slight_smile:

I was trying to ask for Key Tracking and Velocity Tracking in Instrument Envelopes.

Also, I recently noticed that Jenoki, a while ago, in February 2010, in the topic thread “Velocity Control In Instrument Editor”, suggested, in essence, exactly what is one of the parts (the Velocity Tracking part) of this that I was trying to ask for in this topic thread.

Dan

I mentioned Envelope Amount in my third reply on this thread, which is basically what you’re going on about, but you failed to acknowledge it so I assumed you must be going on about something different and strange…

Although you are talking about two Envelope Amounts, Vel Env Amt and Ptch Env Amt, where you may often see only Velocity options on some equipment.

kazakore,

I, from reading what you wrote in your third reply on this thread, thought that you didn’t understand what I wrote because, in your third reply on this thread, you prefaced what you wrote about Envelope Amount by writing: “How can you have a different key tracking for different notes when that is precisely what key tracking does? Makes no sense to me at all!” and because, in your third reply, in your mentioning Envelope Amount, you didn’t mention Key Tracking nor Velocity Tracking, and because, in your third reply, you followed what you wrote about Envelope Amount by writing: “And you start going on about SAMPLES in your last post, which was my very first question! Whether you actually meant Notes or Sample/Keyzones. As per note makes little little sense for anything, per sample/keyzone has been discussed many times and is likely to come in future.”

I think that one of the main things that threw everything off was my using the word “‘per-note’” instead of using the word “polyphonic”. When I first thought of writing this suggestion, my first thought was to use the word “polyphonic”, but I subsequently initially wrote the word “‘per-note’” instead. In writing a description of what I meant, I should have gone with my first thought.

Edit:

I think that It would have been better if I hadn’t used even the word “polyphonic”. I think that it would have been better if I had written just the following as a description of what I meant.

Key Tracking and Velocity Tracking in Instrument Envelopes

Well the Envelopes already are Polyphonic anyway, so there is no real reason to mention that when relating to them at all. Tracking the Velocity or Pitch and thus changing the Envelope depending on such is generally known as Envelope Amount. All points of mine were separate, hence the fact they have their own paragraphs.

So wanting the amount the envelope comes into play depending on the velocity is what you will find on almost every synthesiser labelled as Env Amt. As Instrument Envelopes are Polyphonic by design already this obviously would work so as well, so two notes triggered at the same time, or overlapping, but with different velocities would apply the same envelope differently. Per Note makes it sound like you individually set it for each note, which makes no sense to me. Although being able to set it for each sample/keyzone within an Instrument does (think drums or split instruments.)

Hopefully both Envelope Amount/Tracking and separate Envelopes for Samples/Keyzones will be soon-to-come update…

kazakore,

You wrote:

Yeah, I realized that. I edited my last previous comment in order to express that it would have been better for me to not have mentioned polyphony at all in writing a description of what I meant.

The reason that I used the terms “‘per-note’” and “polyphony” was to distinguish what I was suggesting from the Key Tracking, and Velocity Tracking, Track DSPs, which do not apply tracking to notes individually.

Shall we just say I agree with your idea, sorry it took me so long to understand what you actually meant ;)

There is no right and wrong, we are both just going around pointless circles now!

Yes, I agree that we agree. :)

Thank you for acknowledging that you misunderstood what I meant. It means a lot to me. It makes me feel better.

We agree, so, yes, let’s agree to agree. :)

vV,

I’m not angry at you nor upset with you in any way. I hope that you are not upset nor feeling angry nor feeling badly in any way because of our communication.

I hope that you are feeling o.k.

By the way, I like your avatar. :)

Dan

That was the correct impression.
I can never be pissed or mad, i really hardly am pissed or mad and frankly i can’t even remember the last time i was really irritated.
They push me harder at work then folks can do here and even there i’m total Zen.

So don’t worry, i would like to joke around sometimes. And if you are using Captian Obvious expressions like “i suggested it as a suggestion”, you ofcourse provoke these kind of replies from me, but as Rhowaldt pointed out, they come with a smiley to indicate the seriousness level.

vV,

Oh, O.K. I understand :)

I’m glad that you were not upset. I 'm glad that you don’t get angry often.

My temperament is quite different than that, unfortunately.

I can easily feel hurt and angry. But, fortunately, I can easily and quickly stop feeling hurt and angry. I feel hurt and angry when I feel misunderstood and when I feel that people are being unkind to me. I immediately stop feeling hurt and angry, and I feel good, when I feel that I am being understood and when I feel that people are being kind to me, or when I feel that people are, at least, not being unkind to me.

I don’t mind being kidded (teased in a kind, or at least, not unkind, way), but, in the medium of communicating via writing and reading text on the internet, sometimes it’s hard for me to know whether someone is kidding (teasing in a kind, or, at least, not unkind, way), or whether someone is being unkind. For example, I completely misunderstood what you wrote in your earlier message. I had no idea that you were kidding. I thought that you were being serious, and I thought that you wrote the smiley face as a passive-aggressive sarcastic action. Afterwards, I thought that maybe you felt badly or uncomfortable about having done those actions that I thought that you had done, and I felt badly for you, and I felt responsible for your feeling that way that I thought you might be feeling. I think that one of the reasons why I sometimes have that kind of negative wrong impression of the meaning of what people who are communicating with me in writing are expressing is because I was psychologically bullied as a kid. Also, because of the situation that I have experienced in life, I don’t have very much experience with interacting with other people. However, usually when I have a negative impression of the meaning of what people who are communicating with me in writing are expressing, my impression is accurate.

Many, or, I think, maybe all, impressions in the mind are formed by past experience. Many impressions in one’s own mind are formed by one’s own past actions. One’s own actions create impressions in one’s own mind. Because I understand this, I strive to not do any harmful actions, and I strive to do what’s beneficial, in order to not cause any harm to myself and in order to, involved with that, not cause any harm to others, and in order to make the situation that I am in better. It’s very difficult to not do any harmful actions, and it’s very difficult do to what’s beneficial. It’s very difficult for me to not do any harmful actions, and it’s very difficult for me to do what’s beneficial, but I strive to not do any harmful actions, and I strive to do what’s beneficial.

I appreciate honesty and sincerity very much. Thank you very much for explaining what you meant and how you felt. I don’t mind being kidded. :)

And, yes, I often, in writing, use Captain Obvious (redundant, or repetitive, or repetitive and redundant) wording. However, I think that, sometimes, wording that may seem repetitive is, in fact, logical and clear and well-spoken and correct and beneficial. However, I think that much of the wording that I have ever used that is repetitive is not logical and not clear and not well-spoken and not correct and not beneficial. :)

Dan

@Dan: first of all, thanks for being so honest. even though you might de-rail the thread, it’s your thread so i suppose that’s up to you.
now, when i read your story, i can’t help but think that you think too much. this is not a bad thing, but i do think you should try and chill out a bit when it comes to communication on the internet. i completely understand it when you say you sometimes have trouble understanding people’s intentions online, because this is very logical; there is no non-verbal communication online (with the exception of smileys maybe), so it’s pretty hard to ever know exactly what people’s intentions are.
for that reason, you have to try and find out if a certain place you are in online is hostile or friendly. this is much the same as in real life, where you judge situations based on their friendliness and hostility as well. the notable difference here is that you cannot get beat up, stabbed or killed online (physically at least). anyway, people can help you judge a certain place, and that was what i was doing when i commented on your excuse to vV. i’ll repeat it here for you:
the Renoise forums are a friendly place, filled with helpful people. sure, there might be some trolls lurking, and sometimes people are in a bad mood and might react a bit harsh, but in general everybody just gets along very well around these parts. if this does not happen, you can be pretty someone will step in and say something about it. so, the Renoise forums are a safe place.
now, with that knowledge, you can let down your guard and stop thinking/obsessing about social interaction and whether someone is offended or not. if someone is seriously offended, they’ll let you know. most of the time, they’re not. i understand some places on the internet are frightening or intimidating. this is not such a place. i advice you to not panic and chill out, on these forums, and in general.

rhowaldt,

Thank you very much for replying to me. Thank you for your kindness and for your understanding.

Your comments to me have been very helpful and comforting for me.

I’ll endeavor to do what you suggested, and I, in the past, have endeavored to do what you suggested - which is the getting of the feel of a forum from looking at the comments posted by people. Your comments themselves have helped me to let my guard down.

I’m sorry for not replying earlier to your last previous comment. I didn’t read this forum (the Renoise forum), and I didn’t see your reply, until today.

I’m very tired right now, and, because of that, I’m not feeling well right now, and, because of that, I don’t have the ability, right now, to express everything that I would like to express to you, and, also because of that, I don’t have the ability to express myself very well right now, but I just want to write this message to you to express my thanks and appreciation to you for your kindness and help.

Also, I like your avatar, too. It’s really cute and sweet.

Sincerely,
Dan

rhowaldt,

The following are some corrections to what I wrote in my last previous message to you, which are corrections that I am posting in this message to better express what I meant in my last previous message to you.

The OCD that I suffer from is being made obvious by my posting this message; the OCD that I suffer from is compelling me to post this message. :(

I apologize if this message is unbeneficial. I hope that this message is beneficial.

I wrote:

…which is the getting of the feel of a forum from looking at the comments posted by people.

Which should be:

…which is to get the feel of a forum by looking at the comments posted by people on the forum.

I wrote:

Also, I like your avatar. It’s really cute and sweet.

Which should be:

"Also, I like your avatar. It’s really sweet. :)" :)

@Dan: i still think you think too much, but i’m happy you are starting to feel more comfortable on the forums. you have every reason to, since i am not the only amazingly fantastic awesomely nice person around here ;). furthermore, i like your writing style.

my avatar is a picture of one of my two dogs with the first hair he had. we took him for a haircut right after this picture, because he looks like a monster-dog, but i love the picture, because he looks like a monster-dog. he is, IRL, really cute and sweet, so you got that spot on!

now, i think we have derailed the thread. seems to happen a lot these days. time people start making some music instead of hanging around on the forums derailing threads all day.

rhowaldt,

“It’s a blessing and a curse.”

– “Adrian Monk”

:-}

:)

Thanks. :)

Yes, he looks really sweet and cute. :)

In my previous message, I meant to say “sweet and cute” (or “sweet”) and not “cute and sweet”. I think that “sweet and cute” (or “sweet”) better expresses what I mean, because I think that “sweet and cute” (or “sweet”) better expresses what is the case, and because I mean to express what is the case. :)

Yes, I agree. Rather, I think that I derailed the thread. I’m sorry about that. Well, at least, as you pointed out in one of your previous comments, this thread that I derailed is a thread that I started. :-}

Okay, I agree. :)

I’ll stop derailing this thread, and I’ll try to not derail any other threads.

Dan

+1

Yup, this is obvious. Should be there and I guess users have been constantly rewhining about this. If it’s not too much to ask could you add “& LFOs” to end of the title of this thread, if that is in your interests too? I guess these are in xrni future thread, but since this already started…

As far as i understand, Dan wishes to have “standard” filter behaviour of a sampler where every single note is filered individually. I have been wishing for that as well. For now you can use sampler plugins which have this kind of features. In windows envieroment there is even free ones with this feature.

You can also do this with velocity device if you use only one note / device per track. I have tried this method and for me it’s quite a motivation killer because my approach to renoise is musical rather than technical.