Keyboard Octave Discussion

We are talking about exactly the same thing.
That basenote-thingy for the sample properties that you circled around, is only for the particular selected sample, not the whole instrument.
You refered to a basenote for the whole instrument which i interpreted as the basenote for the whole sample-based instrument.
Unless you meanted:“basenote in every section”

Yes it’s no biggie, it’s just annoying I think, I can of course always count what exactly the note means, but I feel that from perspective of creating multisampled instrument, I prefer to know that i have note C, note E note G and note B for example, then I simply set the basenote of these to what the note they were recorded in and when I play note E it will play sample E in a key of E, if i want to cover notes F and F# which were not sampled, if i press F it will play note E transposed by +1 and F# will be E transposed by +2 then when I press G, it will play note G … i know this is all very obvious, but there is an actual musical difference here, to think in octaves and notes is easier than thinking in ±21 ±24 , it’s like instead of playing on guitar you play on some crazy chinese instrument where you can get easily lost. If I see B-5 and A-4 I can easily see it’s one octave and a note difference there, but +14 is just not the same. Technically it is, but not from aspect of writing music imo.

I think it would be actually nice to have both settings, maybe it sounds redundant but each sample could have base note setting (aka the note in which was the sample recorded) and also transpose setting that would transpose the base note by the applied value… in this enviroment , you could create a regular multilayered instrument, but you could still transpose it or part of it and not get lost in it musically

Yes I’m sorry I got a bit carried away there, true, there was never global setting for instruments, there was only option to transpose the instrument quickly by ±1 or ±12 which is a great feature especially for chopped drum breakbeats. Please don’t get me wrong, even if I criticise, I admire progress of renoise and it is indeed going in the right directions, it’s just sometimes it’s the small things that can really make a lot of difference in workflow. Atm I kinda feel like i am loosing “grip” on control over the instrument, the features are going in the right direction but it can definitely be tweaked for easier usage

for future i would really appreciate global handling of samples within the instrument, except for obvious pitch volume etc, would be nice to batch process DSP chain on them etc again, this mainly applies for drums for me, but i’m sure it’s handy for any multisample instrument

I see, but when creating multi sample instruments, we still have a base note setting in the key zone window. Actually we have both now, transpose and base notes, but in different places.

The idea was, that if you are dealing with multi-samples, you know the base note (often its even present in the sample’s file name). So you are going to transpose them by setting the base notes in the key zones while creating the sample mappings.

When dealing with single sample instruments, you only want to transpose until things “sound right”. A transpose setting is here easier than a basenote setting.

I agree you may know about the base note when you make the instrument, but for example there are thousands of old instruments where you just loose the track of it, even if you made it yourself
would be at least nice to see the transposed note if you held the mouse over the “+14” kind of setting

exactly. mouse-over or status bar. whichever you dev guys fancy. i believe it is the easiest solution.

Apart from that, I’ve been thinking about this octave thing while using the new midi in function and have the following I want to discuss:
If you hardwire a midi-in to a instrument shouldn’t it be self contained also with the octave setting?
I mean, should this hardwired setup not bypass the global octave setting?

maybe I said the key word there ‘global’ but maybe more people see it to be more logic to have this new feature self contained
so you not end up on a gig where all your keyboards are in an other octave because you just saved the song at another octave by accident.

I really believe that global instrument settings are quite necessary, new features are definitely welcome, and give renoise one more step forward,
but let’s not make steps backwards in the process as it is now, the whole sample region thing added more steps in to simple tasks that were possible before,
if there was a global instrument settings that would apply to all samples within the instrument it would make it easier to use and you would still be able
to edit the samples individually later

I think you don’t understand my post correctly.
I don’t think the global octave setting must disappear.
I want to discuss if its more logic to ‘detach’ it from the new ‘hardwired’ midi-in.
so you don’t find yourself in a wrong octave setting during a live gig after working with a song.
this way it will be more self contained.