Keymap preferences not saved on each run

Hello. I have been using Renoise for quite some time, and I have noticed that there is something unusual about my version of the program. Every time I close Renoise (or it crashes) and opens it again, my key assignments were all reset.

Any ideas on how this can be fixed are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open Renoise (Currently using the 3.2.0 release)
  2. The preferences are reset.
  3. Now change any of the keymaps (e.g. “Note Off” to “A”). Close the prefs tab.
  4. Close Renoise and run the program again

Expected result:

• The key bindings stay the same as it is before the program was closed.

Actual results:

• The binding got reset.

The keybindings are saved while shutting down the program, so if something’s interrupting the shutdown (a crash), the keymap also won’t be saved. So the really interesting thing here to find out is why Renoise crashes for you when exiting. This of course isn’t normal, expected behavior.

Could you please send us your Renoise log file (or attach it here to this conversation)?
You’ll find the log file in Renoise by clicking on the “Help” -> “Show the Log File…” menu entry.

Log.txt (869.6 KB)

Here is the log file. Interestingly, I found that the program saves the preferences, then destroying it afterwards. Maybe that is the reason why?

Are you talking about these lines in your log?

Shut down: Saving the preferences
Shut down: Destroyed the preferences

I think you’ll find that pretty much everybody gets that in their log, might be misinterpreting the word ‘Destroyed’ :slight_smile:

My quick two cents would be to first disable all vsts and tools to see if the keybindings are saved/restored correctly.

I think I might have misinterpreted it, yeah.

Anyways, I tried to do what you have recommended, but it still doesn’t work; the keybindings are still not saved.

According to the log Renoise just “vanished” a few times for you. Did you got any error messages for that? There’s nothing in the logs. Maybe it’s directly or indirectly caused by some of the bridged plugins. Not saying it’s not Renoise’s fault but it only seems to happen after loading and unloading a lot of plugins.

Destroyed the preferences indeed just means that the “object” is down. It’s not deleting the file.

If you still get this problem when simply launching Renoise, changing the keymaps, then shutting down Renoise, then this also could be caused by your anti virus software. Some AV tools may treat the keymappings.xml file as ‘suspicious’ because of the linked style sheet.

Which anti virus software are you using?

I didn’t get any error messages from Renoise. And for the record, I have no antivirus software running.

Another thing that I’d check…

Close Renoise. In the directory where the ‘log.txt’ file is, there should be another file called ‘KeyBindings.xml’ (it is there?) If it is I’d note down the modified time on the file. After a minute run Renoise. What I’d probably do here is modify the Global:Application:Quit key to say the ‘A’ key. Close Renoise. Then check the modified time on that file to see if Renoise has actually written/updated to that file.

If the modified time has changed, you could load that KeyBindings.xml into say Notepad and look near the top of the file for something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="KeyBindings.xslt"?>
<KeyboardBindings doc_version="4">
  <Categories>
    <Category>
      <Identifier>Global</Identifier>
      <KeyBindings>
        <KeyBinding>
          <Topic>Application</Topic>
          <Binding>Quit</Binding>
          <Key>A</Key> ******Note this******
        </KeyBinding>

To determine that either that <Key>A</Key> line exists, or it doesn’t exist, or if Renoise made any attempt to write to that file at all.

I’d probably consider moving the Config.xml and Cached*.db files or even reinstalling Renoise (no tools, no vsts, no audioserver) to start from as clean a slate as possible to see if the keybindings are saved/restored.

Why did I just get an email about taktik’s response in this thread? I didn’t even participate in this thread…

Oh, I just checked inside my file and saw that one of the keybinds was somehow in Thai. I’ve changed that to English manually and now it saves. Thank you!