Keyzone editor: Keyzone overlap, play options per keyzone instead glob

As some of you have noticed, I am a fan of mixed-instruments. which made me notice a small detail that can change allot.

When working in the keyzone editor… you can give overlap play-options to ALL keyzones at same time:

each option, has adventages for a certain type of instrument…

But in my aproach (sorry for being so selfish, i just dont have a clue how to explain without standing in my own shoes)…

seehttps://forum.renoise.com/t/locking-pitch-for-samples-in-phrases-with-sample-column-enabled/45125 for my aproach.

So may i suggest:

Can it be made possible, that i can set the overlap options PER keyzone, instead of global:

so i can choose “play all” when creating synths… and “cycle/random” when making drums…
why:

in the example pattern i put in the other topic: I had to choose “play all” to make the piano-hit (which is 3 times the same sample, but difrently panned and tuned)
but for the drums, i would have loved to put it on random, and add multiple snares and kicks for lively feeling… and well… i wanted to add 4 vocals, and put those on cycle.
so 1 note, would give 1 of the 4 vocals…

I’ve suggested a similar thing over here:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/some-kind-of-sections-groupings-for-samples/43521

The idea is a little different: instead of per-keyzone I’d like to see groups in the sample list. This does not only give you overlap options like you desire, but also an opportunity to organize samples in logical units.

I like better ideas :slight_smile: … didnt think about reorganising samples… but yeah. I could easily see. that one day i will use “a googleplexian amount of samples”…
there is one particular technique to get aphextwin like drumbeats i know and use that uses “big amount of samples”…

so thumbs up for better ideas…

so i can choose “play all” when creating synths… and “cycle/random” when making drums…

A solution here would be to simply create your drum keyzones as you like them, and then put synth samples “aside” (anywhere where they are not overlapping with the drums)

Then you can create a phrase and switch to sample columns mode. This will allow you to reference any of the waveforms freely.

A solution here would be to simply create your drum keyzones as you like them, and then put synth samples “aside” (anywhere where they are not overlapping with the drums)

Then you can create a phrase and switch to sample columns mode. This will allow you to reference any of the waveforms freely.

Not a bad idea buddy… didnt think of that one…
but it would leave me a bit with the “vocal problem” i mentioned…
And would not, give me access to the “aphextwin-drums-method” simultaniously…
If you use the sample-colums mode… renoise will not look at they key-zones… (that was why i started the other topic… i thought i found a bug… hehe funny it led to a feature suggestion)

I did notice however, you can circumvee the phrases played using the 0Zxx command… so methods can be thought up…

but ultimately… if they do find a way to set the overlap play-options per sampleset / keyzone… and add the desired feature… you can make beautifully complex instruments that do shitloads of joyfull stuff…

I did notice however, you can circumvee the phrases played using the 0Zxx command… so methods can be thought up…

Luckily the sample column option (which will basically bypass the sampler keyzone) is a_per-phrase_ option.

So what I had in mind was to use “keymap” mode to assign the phrases to specific parts of the keyboard

Throw the synth on the upper part, for example, drums into the lower, whatever :slight_smile:

Luckily the sample column option (which will basically bypass the sampler keyzone) is a_per-phrase_ option.

So what I had in mind was to use “keymap” mode to assign the phrases to specific parts of the keyboard

Throw the synth on the upper part, for example, drums into the lower, whatever :slight_smile:

You should take a look at the example-instruments, i added in the other topic,

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:6427]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:6426]

These two… these instruments, have bassline, piano hits, orgpads, and drums… You can play a melody with the entire instrument, WITH drums, and the drums dont repitch…
effectively making it possible, to make 32step phrase, that can turn into a complete song WITH automation…

But for it to completely work as it should… I need 2 things… “non-transpose-able notelanes” and sampleoverlap/roundrobin settings per samplepool…
Many roads lead to rome… but i think i want to walk this one .