Lfo

Hey people!

Uhm, if you put a LFO on, say, the first DSP effect in your “line of DSPs”, then move the DSP effect, the LFO keeps its values on the FIRST DSP, so whichever DSP effect that is now the first, will get treated by the LFO.

Which can be a bit annoying at times…

What I thought was; how about the LFO follow the DSP effect it was assigned to treat to begin with?

If this is possible that is

:rolleyes:

Thanks

My old suggested sketch of how to improve the lfo would acctually solve this too.

But there is one issue to solve with my sketch and that is how the lfo should be automated.

Nice one, Sonus, though this would require quite an amount of CPU to be useful: I think you would like to have the ability to change the curve in reealtime by dragging its points with the mouse while playing the song…

This of course would require a tick-level interpolation which can be consuming.

I like it! Custom LFOs would dovetail really nicely with Renoise’s custom approach to envelopes, and probably produce some unique modulations too.

Given the looping commands in the envelopes, we basically already have it, unless the ability to change the rate and depth of a custom lfo would require too much computation.

but i think that this still would be lighter than automation envelopes…cos i have noticed those automation things are weakest point on renoise atm (of course right after sample editor…), those are taking way too much power of cpu…

but nice i dea have to agree…beat sync would be allso cool, like delay had it.

Just a thing I forgot to mention in my last post of this thread: you can yet put an LFO over another LFO: in this way you can construct a lot wider class of curves, though of course it’s much more difficult to achieve exactly the result you want.

Not the automation curve, no, but the envelopes, yes (but without rate or depth changes on the fly).

You’ll see a “Loop” drop down under each of the envelopes. Select “Forward” (or one of the others) from the drop down and loop markers will appear on the envelope graph. Move them to loop the bit you’re interested in looping. It’s sort of the equivalent of the custom LFO described in this thread, but without the ability to alter rate or depth.

I also like the idea with drawing your LFOs. It’s a brilliant idea!! But I can’t see why it would be CPU hungry in any way…

Hmm,

The difference between drawing a shape the lfo follows, and the lfo then applies the shape to a vsti automate device for example?

And drawing a shape and then let the vsti automate device follow the shape?

The difference would only be that with the lfo, you would not have to copy and paste the shape to all patterns that you wanted the shape to be applied to.
But you would also not be able to change the shape, unless you would be able to let the lfo change between different set shapes by a commando or by automation.

copy add reply paste cut paste cut copy

renoise manual project ver0700.15432

I also like the drawing idea…which brings me to the idea of being able to make your own arpreggios. A programable arpreggiorater would do similar things like a drawn lfo.
No, I don’t want to download a vsti, I want it as a Renoise-Feature! :)
Now seriously…If the arp would be part of Renoise, I belive you could control more Renoise-things than a vsti could. e.g. it’s hard for me to see how a vsti could play each note with a different setting on the LoFi-Mat…
What do you think?

Just wanted to bump this up!

I still think drawing custom LFO waves would be kick-ass!!!

:slight_smile:

What do all the ‘new’ users of renoise that haven’t seen this thread before think?

Peace.

I’m a new user and I think it’s a pretty neat idea. Really don’t understand why it would be that cpu intensive, assuming each lfo only ever has one custom waveform slot which can only be edited by hand, not through automation or pattern effects.

And is it really 2004 where you are sonus? (ignor this. just remembered I got to this thread through a link you posted in another ;) )

Seeing it as i apparently laid the ground work for the LFO device (as far as i remember) i should just say i’ve been totally happy with it ever since. The added bonus of chaining LFO devices is a luxury most expensive synths don’t even have.

Custom LFO waves? Never had a use for it. If you need random crap going on you can do that by chaining LFOs in the first place, same with making LFOs that mimick logarithmic curves and whatnot, and if you need to actually control the modulation of it its pretty easy to just do that with an envelope anyway.

I don’t see the need for it at all. It’s a non-feature on most equipment that uses LFOs, and you don’t see people wanting it on most platforms.

A quick recap of what an LFO actually is. Low Frequency Modulator. By definition, an LFO that hops around doing weird stuff to its rate,frequency and amplitude is a f****ed LFO. The noise curve renoise lets you use already is pretty much all you need for that kind of crap, and as It-Alien says, there is some functionality in the instrument envelopes as well that at least lets you approx the functionality you want, though IMHO, again, it’s a true waste of time, and you’d probably find yourself using it extremely rarely.

IMHO what Renoise needs is flexible functions that work in tandem to create more complex interactions, not specific stuff that only a small number of users will find useful.

Sorry if i sound crass btw, it’s pretty natural to me ;)

Regarding the first suggestion in this thread, i don’t agree. Currently, the LFO device maintains the “adress” of the target DSP block no matter where you move the LFO block, and i find this very practical. Or did i misunderstand?

Custom LFO waveforms… I can’t say i see a need for that either - However i would like to see more waveforms, such as an interpolated random s&h, for making smoother, random controls.

Above all, i’d like to see some more utility DSP blocks, like one that implements key tracking, if you, say wanted to make a key tracking filter, or a key tracking lofimat.

IMHO what Renoise needs is flexible functions that work in tandem to create more complex interactions, not specific stuff that only a small number of users will find useful.

ABSOLUTELY.

That’s the beauty of tracking, imho. You have very simple, very flexible tools (though I would KILL for FFF) that allow you to express yourself in a very personal way.

Since I’ve started using renoise, my music has started to sound like ME, for better or for worse.

Plus considering I have a programming type mind, the idea of “objects” is certaintly intuitive.