[???] Linux: Calf-Plugins Segfault When Loaded

I’m running Renoise 2.7.1 (the demo version) and I’m trying to get it to work with calf-plugins (http://calf.sf.net/). I can open the plugins via the command line, but when I select them from the Instrument Settings tab Renoise crashes immediately with the following printed to the console:

Renoise LOG> DSSI: Trying to instantiate /usr/lib/dssi/calf.so:Monosynth…
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: [0x220400]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0x89265d5]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0x875742b]
… cut to avoid spamming …
Renoise LOG> Application: Caught an unhandled exception (Thread: GUI)!

Renoise works fine with built in instruments using jack as output.

Please provide more info on your system, OS version and calf plugins version.

I’m running Ubuntu Natty 11.04, 32bit, Linux 2.6.38. Calf-plugins package version is 0.0.18.6-2. Jackd package version is jackd2-1.9.6~dfsg.1-5ubuntu1.

Before starting renoise, jackd and the calf-plugins are started with the command ‘calfjackhost’. This makes Renoise make use of JACK audio instead of ALSA.

If any more info is needed, I’d gladly try providing it.

I have the same issue, after revisiting some old tracks i wrote using Calf I get a crash whenever I try to open it on Ubuntu 64.
same version of calf and jack as op
—Crash log—
enoise LOG> DSSI: Trying to instantiate /usr/lib/dssi/calf.so:Organ…
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0xfc60) [0x7fbd7288cc60]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xc8835c]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xac61aa]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xac6ba1]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xaa202e]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xaaf8c6]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xab8e37]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xaa89e7]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xaaa6dd]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xab0aeb]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xb87d3c]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0x8414d5]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xc8d54c]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xc8d94e]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0x9db44b]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0x9db6f2]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xa02291]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0x9ec111]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0x50067c]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0xc7c851]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xff) [0x7fbd71741eff]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: renoise() [0x45f179]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: [(nil)]
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: [0x4e061bd4]
Renoise LOG> Application: Caught an unhandled exception (Thread: GUI)!

I’m unable to replicate the problem (here on x86). Are you both using them as DSSI plugins ?
Cause i don’t understand what calfjackhost is and why do you need to start it manually before starting renoise…

Maybe send me ( kraken - AT - renoise - DOT - com ) a subset of the song with only the plugin loaded (if it is crashing of course).

I’m using it as an DSSI plugin yes. After starting Renoise, after selecting an instrument such as “Calf Organ DSSI” in the Instrument Settings tab it crashes.

I have tried using jack and alsa, and starting jack with qjackctl and calfjackhost, but still with the same result.

jadahl: Does the version of Calf Organ that you have installed work in any other DSSI host? Its the calf plugin which crashes, and not Renoise, so you maybe have a faulty, bogus version installed. If you are familiar with linux and debugging, you can also get, build and debug calf from the sources. This would help us a lot, in case this bug is somehow our fault.

Also it looks like you are using a 64bit Linux. Are Renoise and the calf plugin 64bit? Using a 32bit plugin and 32bit Renoise on a 64bit linux will very very likely cause a lot of (random) troubles.

Hi, I’m using a 32 bit system with 32 bit binaries. I tried using the Calf Organ in “qtractor” and it seems to play along nicely. I noticed that I actually could load the Calf Organ in Renoise once, and when I tried again it crashed. Exact steps:

1. Wake up and “unsuspend” laptop
  2. Try to use calf organ via qtractor - and succeed
  3. Try to use calf organ via renoise - and actually succeed
  4. Close renoise and start it again, selecting the Calf organ DSSI instrument crashes renoise again.
  5. Repeat 4. with same results, no more calf organ for me (but still works in qtractor)

I’m familiar with Linux debugging and will try to find time to build and reproduce the crash with a calf instrument with debug symbols. Any specific instructions of how I can help?

If you are using 32-bit Linux, it looks like some 64-bit element seems being called for some reason or the 64 numbering is coincidence:
CrashLog: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0xfc60) [0x7fbd7288cc60]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xff) [0x7fbd71741eff]
The address reference is certainly above 32-bit

Seems you might need a closer look to your Libc and pthread libraries.

Please note that you are referring to a stack trace not made by me. See top post for a abbreviated stack trace in the first post of this thread.

Ah yes sorry, in that case that info doesn’t apply to you then.

Can you load and unload the calf plugin multiple times in a renoise session without a crash ?

Could you try do a full close of your computer instead of suspending/unsuspending ?

I cannot make it not crash again. I rebooted my computer, and after logging in, the first thing I did was open Renoise. It used the ALSA driver this time, and I tried to select the Calf Organ DSSI instrument, and it crashed. I tried again, same result. I tried starting jackd with qjackctl then make Renoise use the jack output driver, but still with the same result.

Last time I got it to work I cannot remember doing anything special. I woke up, resumed the computer from suspended mode, for some reason I spontaneously tried to see how Renoise and Calf plugins worked that day and to my surprise it worked. Next time it happens (if it does) I will try to load it twice and try to go through some logs to see if I see something worth sharing.