Linux: doesn't find VST plugins unless started from containing dir

My $VST_PATH environment variable contains /usr/lib/vst , where my VST plugins are located.

If i click “rescan” in edit -> preferences -> plug/misc, VST plugins aren’t found, unless i start renoise from that directory and then do the rescan. Once the rescan is done, then i can restart renoise from any directory and the VST plugins work fine.

DSSI and LADSPA plugins seem to be detected correctly without problems.

…btw, when is LV2 support coming to Renoise? :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

try arch linux. Try Renoise there with audio jack and a lot more like pulse audio https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio. You even might run LV2, but better get csound and puredata and controll it using the power of osc in renoise. If you are skilled, you could smash Reaktor users into pieces.

If you export vst path before starting renoise does it pick them up?

try arch linux. Try Renoise there with audio jack and a lot more like pulse audio https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio. You even might run LV2, but better get csound and puredata and controll it using the power of osc in renoise. If you are skilled, you could smash Reaktor users into pieces.

uh… wut?

If you export vst path before starting renoise does it pick them up?

VST_PATH is part of my normal setup. So yeah it’s present before i start renoise. Still doesn’t find the VST plugins where specified, which is why i reported this bug.

VST_PATH is part of my normal setup. So yeah it’s present before i start renoise. Still doesn’t find the VST plugins where specified, which is why i reported this bug.

Sorry, I don’t really understand what you mean. How are you starting renoise? I don’t know what you mean about starting it from a particular place changing whether it sees your plugins or not.

But if you actually open a terminal, type “export VST_PATH” and then type “renoise” and enter, it doesn’t find your plugins?

Also you said that after you start it from that directory you can start from anywhere and there’s no problem, so what leads to this bug happening, clean installation?

When i said “VST_PATH is part of my normal setup.” i meant that it’s present even if i don’t type export VST_PATH=/usr/lib/vst - in other words, if i just start a terminal window and type: echo $VST_PATH it will show me /usr/lib/vst as a result.

So, with that environment variable always present, renoise still doesn’t find VST’s in /usr/lib/vst, unless /usr/lib/vst is renoise’s current working directory, ie. i type cd /usr/lib/vst in a terminal window, then start renoise from there. Hope that makes sense…

Also you said that after you start it from that directory you can start from anywhere and there’s no problem, so what leads to this bug happening, clean installation?

Once Renoise has scanned for plugins and successfully found the VST’s, they will alway be available unless i do another scan without changing to the VST directory - in which case DSSI and LADSPA plugins will be detected without problems, but VST will not.

this is probably unrelated, but just in case it helps…

i also had a problem with renoise finding a linux vst on a custom plugin path i had exported.

in my case the problem was that i had a symlink to the vst on my plugin path, when i removed the symlink and copied the actual vst binary to the directory in question, the problem went away.

i don’t know why it mattered but it did.

cheers.

this is probably unrelated, but just in case it helps…

i also had a problem with renoise finding a linux vst on a custom plugin path i had exported.
in my case the problem was that i had a symlink to the vst on my plugin path, when i removed the symlink and copied the actual vst binary to the directory in question, the problem went away.
i don’t know why it mattered but it did.
cheers.

You’re right! If the actual file is in the VST directory (rather than a symlink to the file) renoise will find it even if i start it from my home directory. But still, i’d rather keep the symlinks and not work around a bug in renoise by duplicating/moving all my VST files…

You’re right! If the actual file is in the VST directory (rather than a symlink to the file) renoise will find it even if i start it from my home directory. But still, i’d rather keep the symlinks and not work around a bug in renoise by duplicating/moving all my VST files…

cool glad it helped.

i have a vague race memory that i actually raised an issue about this ages ago, but after some humming and harring and suspicion that it might be a problem unique to the vst in question nothing happenned.

anyway i have a whole custom set of exported plugin directories that i keep the binaries of everything that isn’t a system install organised in, and so i haven’t thought about it since then. drove me nuts trying to work out what was going on at the time if i remeber. :wink: