Linux: How To Use Native Windows Vsts

The fst page clearly says get 2.3.

I feel somewhat stupid for trying to get around this. Damn, I got my Linux Renoise like I wanted, didn’t i?

It’s just that I bought Tone2’s Firebird last fall, and I’d like to sample it without booting to Windows. No big deal, though. That synth was just slightly more expensive than Renoise. :D

dude, 1st of all: i’m really sorry for overtaking your thread >_>

but anyway. when i wrote my post i was uncertain about two things, first thing: wether i used the vstsdk2.4 or another version. but i was too lazy to look it up. but of course i use/used the vstsdk2.3 as the fst site suggests.

second thing i wasn’t sure to write about, but i wanted to say explicitly that i don’t consider “make install” a solution ://

well, mainly because i’m trying out with wine-0.9.54 now. and i highly suspect it just won’t work. so if my fears come true i can just use wine-0.9.9. but with “make install” i’m not so sure :x (as i don’t know what exactly it does.)
will it just overwrite the newer version if i do it in the 0.9.9 source dir after doing it in the 0.9.54 dir? <_<

sry, but i’m really not sure about this, as those versions are pretty “far away” from each other. and make install always seems very dirty for me, so i usually don’t do it.

so is it safe to do it and after that do it with another version of wine?

No problem. That’s what this thread is for. I don’t consider this conversation off topic, yet. ;)

Don’t be afraid of ‘make install’. I usually just make sure, that I don’t have another version installed at the time of doing it. As i am always compiling wine (and a lot of other apps) from source, I do a ‘make uninstall’ with the previous version before installing the new one. This way I can easily switch between versions.

What ‘make install’ actually does is copying libraries, binaries and header files to the appropriate places. And ‘make uninstall’ deletes all of the stuff again.

So… don’t be afraid of installing things from source. If there is a ‘make install’ there’s almost certainly a ‘make uninstall’, too (I’ve never seen an app having one and missing the other).

Just make sure to uninstall the old wine version before installing the new one. You can easily uninstall the new one and reinstall the old one after that.

Have fun. ^^

ooooooook, i now installed dssi-vst 0.6 (after trying around different versions of wine, but guess what…) and it seems to work fine with all the vstis i tried out (nk 1001, synth1, crystal, superwavep8). doesn’t seem to work with lash though, what sux. but i’m at least able to tweak without the fear of random “RenderBadPicture” crashes :D/
and crystal and synth1 even have their own preset management where i can store the patches, so i think i’m just gonna stay with dssi-vst. (also: if rns ever supports dssi, i could even use the vstis “inside” of rns, or not? dunno)

note: vsthost (an included program in the dssi-vst pkg) works with .dll filenames including whitespaces, dssi-vst doesn’t. (so you’d have to copy the “Synth1 VST.dll” to “s1.dll” or something for dssi-vst to work with that dll.)

i suspect the reason dssi-vst is working and fst not, is because fst seems to be pretty outdated/abandoned. i mean the latest release is from 31 may 2006 :s

Yups, one of the many problems with open source related stuff…
In one there is always hope somebody else picks it up where it got left for dustcatching but this is a process that may take years of dustcatching before somebody wakes up again.
All causes of change in spare-time- and priority management of the individual hobbyist.

Exactly like with closed source then, for example take a look at all those other closed source trackers that nowadays are abandoned (Aodix, Buzz, Octamed, MadTracker, Skale, FastTracker etc). If they where released under open source before they where abandoned they would have maybe lived on… but now most of them are dead forever as long as the developers doesn’t choose to do anything radical. Well, to be honest, it time to break this silly myth, together with the myth that you can not earn money on open source software…

dssi-vsti released a new update as soon as a month ago with native VST-compatible headers, which makes it possible to distribute it without the official VST SDK and under a pure GPL-license. So the best thing would be if renoise gets dssi-support in a later version (which sounds like something that maybe will come if you read this thread). Then you maybe can run Windows VSTi:s directly from Renoise for Linux just like any other plugin ;)

Amen.

And back to topic: +1 for DSSI support to simplify using native Windows VSTs in Renoise :)

yup, dssi-support++ :]

How-to to install FST on Ubuntu Studio (you need this since the documentation of the original fst and lash supplies you nothing but a nervous breakdown but no results):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=557466

Lash can be installed by using the default package manager (add/remove applications)

The “#Line-In Device” way is (imho) a far better way, it gives you complete control over the vst’s sound/volume/pan/effects (with automation :dribble: !!) etc… just like any plugin. By connecting the VST directly into the soundcard it will sound “outside the mix” :( and if you want to add (for example) some “nice&slight-delay” to your VST, what are you going to do ? Launch Jack-Rack ? :P

So : “Actually you should use the mixer…” ;)

Anyway, thanks for this How-To, it is clear and simple. applause :)

(Sorry for language mistakes, I live in the country of frogs&fries.)

Got it to work! :D
kind of extra useless since it doesn’t integrate the same way as native vsts D;

I’m subscribed to a announcment mailing list and saw this:

dssi-vst is an adapter that allows users of Linux audio software to take VST and VSTi audio effects and instrument plugins compiled for Windows, and load them into native LADSPA or DSSI plugin hosts.

http://www.breakfastquay.com/dssi-vst/

I’ve just updated the initial post with some additional info about dssi-vst and rendering/freezing tracks.

Thank you all for your nice comments and for pointing out alternatives.
Highly appreciated. :)

MarvelousMarvin

Hello I tried your tutorial and I have a problem. I have done everything step by step. Now I execure my dll and see a screen of a vsti as I can see it on Windows. But the point is that I can’t see my plugin in Jack controls in Readable Clients / Output ports. Don’t know how to configure MIDI in Renoise, so I configured it like this: In Device A: My plugin dll (was Renoise MIDI Input Port A). Audio settings in Renoise is Jack. Can you recognize where is my problem ? Or do you need more informations ? I have the latest wine and the latest fst, Linux version is Ubuntu 9.04.

Thank you very much.

I got some errors executing through fst : cannot lock down memory for RT thread (cannot allocate memory) and jack_client_thread zombified. Maybe this is that problem, I have. I have read about zombifiing but can’t remember where.

@syner:
This is most propably a jack problem. Try starting the jack server without the realtime option. To be able to run jack in realtime mode, you have to jump through some hoops.
But let’s just try if this really is the problem before we do anything else. :)

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. I disabled realtime mode and switched on no memory lock. Now my plugin called SUPERWAVE P8 started to play in renoise. But delay in that plugin is confused, no midi sync, long delay time. That’s a pitty, that now I can’t use renoise native plugin - I know the reason, that it is through midi and it doesn’t run through renoise audio system. I look forward for a tutorial for dssi-vst wrapper. I tried it a little bit and for now I have problem with make install it. Compiled, but when I typed make install I got some errors, which I posted on a dssi-vst developer’s forum. After all I am glad, that I can run Win vst mostly native on Linux Renoise.

Have a good time !

But how can you use it in Renoise ? Renoise can’t recognize LADSPA header - if is it an effect plugin or an instrument, all effect plugins and instruments are in effect section. How can you use dssi, if Renoise Linux version doesn’t have dssi support ?

I found a system how to use native renoise effect plugins with fst loaded vsti. You just have to connect your dll plugin in jack not to system audio but to a renoise. First make a settings in preferences in renoise 4 channels or more. Then choose a line in device in renoise and choose Input 02 L+R. In jack connect a source output of your plugin dll to a renoise’s new source input channels. In renoise just set a midi instrument - your dll plugin and you can add a variety of renoise native effect plugin on that track. Works fine.

2nd thing is that if I use lash_panel and save a project, I don’t know how it works, when I try to load a saved project, it does nothing…

Yeah. That’s what I meant when writing

Did you try to run a persistent wine server?

Greetings,
Marv