Today I was going to update this space raegae.org, and meant to do some gameprogramming again in Blender after a while. I managed to make character that walks left when you press ‘A’ and camera follows along, kinda of a 3D/2D sidescroller. Then I noticed that if camera is exactly 90 degrees you get bumpy buggy shadows from spotlight in game engine. Then I found out that it is common problem in realtime shadows and that game engine in Blender is no longer maintained/updated, so no bugfixes. But luckily there is project called UPBGE, it is fork of Blender meant to improve the engine and fix bugs. I have Ubuntu Studio 14.04 and I downloaded Ubuntu version of UPBGE and it just did not start. I thought it had some conflict with already installed universal Blender installation, I deleted that and still no success with UPBGE. So i tested UPBGE in windows, i have dualboot even though I mainly work in linux. UPBGE worked in windows and that bumpy shadow bug was fixed. I thought that what a hell I want to make that work in Ubuntu also. There was building instructions for linux in UPBGE webpage and I had always wanted to build/compile/make some program, even though my linux coding skills arent that good. Downloading git repositories, all good, then installing dependencies and all seemed to be allright but I noticed that diskspace was running out. I tried desperately to delete files and unistall programs but finally diskspace ran out and installing dependencies fail and abort. No problem, I manage to delete some files and I thik that if I re enter that terminal command, maybe that dependency installation knows how to continue. Before that I got little excited about freeing space, I removed allkinds of weird pre-installed programs and games and stuff, which was good because I rarely organise stuff. I also used some terminal commands to clear all kinds of caches, temps, processes and unnecessary stuff. This was maybe exaggeration but I used software called BleachBit, CCleaner for linux. I had already ~ 600 megabytes free, but after a while I noticed that BleachBit was doing some swiping to my free disk space and it was again running out. BlechBit jammed and I restarted computer because I thought that maybe there is something that needs resorting at boot time. Fuckd up, Ubuntu did not anymore proceed after entering password. God Damit, what was I thinking, I knew that my nerdy skills arent that good and now my linux is jammed. But I did not give up, I managed to enter linux filesystem through windows and free some space. Ok, I admit that maybe windows might be handy sometimes.
hmm, and now it seems that I am back in original Ubuntu windowing layout (Unity) even though Ubuntu Studio has different windowing layout from mainstream Ubuntu, and it is removed now somehow. There is also weird glitches in the system, some icons missing and scrambled menubars but essentially everything is working. Bit bored to this operation, 600 megabytes diskspace just vanished and aborted compiling taking many hundreds of diskspace needing sorting. So I think I just do some backuping and make fresh reinstall of Ubuntu. And soon it is April so I think I wait new Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to appear and try that.
Long story short, making art with computers is not always that straightforward, and dont trust your linux skills toomuch : P