Linux/renoise Stand-alone Environment?

Sorry to clutter up the forum with these noob install questions, but… I’ve been working with the Renoise demo on Ubuntu Linux, and I’m lovin it, and trying to make it super sweet. if I can get it right to that sweet spot, I will buy a license and ditch windows(!) So, my question is about running it in the stand-alone environment. I’ve followed the directions at the wiki, and have created a renoise.desktop file that looks like so:

Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Renoise
Comment=This session starts Renoise stand-alone
Exec=/home/rsb/Renoise_2_0_0_Demo/renoise
Icon=
Type=Application

But, when I try to run that session I get an error telling me that there’s no executable found in that session file. This is puzzling. When I run that exact line from a command prompt, the program starts without a hitch. I’ve tried re-typing it to make sure it’s typo free, and it is, but still wont run as a stand-alone session. Am I missing something glaringly obvious? Any suggestions appreciated…

does renoise.desktop have the executable bit set? if not, set it :D

If you install Renoise system wide, creating a launcher is very straight forward…

Sorry, wrong topic :P

Add this to the top of your file:

[Desktop Entry]  
Version=1.0  

Not sure if the Version=1.0 line is needed, but the first one is, at least on my system.

Sent a PM to Neurotix to add this in the FAQ, but I guess it slipped through.

Thanks gnute, that was the missing line of code:

[Desktop Entry]

The ‘Version=1.0’ is unnecessary. So for anyone else who stumbles on this post, add this line:

[Desktop Entry]

at the very top of the document. So it should look like this:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Renoise
Comment=This session starts Renoise stand-alone
Exec=/home/rsb/Renoise_2_0_0_Demo/renoise
Icon=
Type=Application

The Exec line should contain your individual folder path, not mine.

I’ve added this to the doc-changes, with the next release of Renoise, this will be changed in the docs.