Linux + Usb Midi Keyboards

Just bought Renoise, this program is awesome, setting it up on linux has been a real adventure but now that I’ve got everything working I’m looking into some external additions: namely, a MIDI keyboard.

The M-Audio Keyrig 49 is looking particularly good and fits right within my budget, but I’ve never set up a MIDI keyboard (USB or otherwise) on linux and from what I’ve read the process can either be dead simple (plug and play) or pretty horrible.

So here are my questions:

1. Has anybody used this keyboard on linux? If not, is there another one that you’d recommend?
  2. The manual for this thing says that it is USB class-compliant - apparently meaning that on OSX and Windows all you need to do is plug it in, you don’t need any additional drivers. Because it’s class compliant, does that mean all I have to do is plug it in on Linux as well? From what I’ve read that seems to be the case but I’m still a bit wary, just wanted to see what you guys had to say.

For the record, I’m using Arch linux.

Thanks!

I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. I have same keyboard and it works fine in ubuntu and mint. Keyboard itself is ok but what rises the price is the keyrig virtual instrument which is useless in linux.
I think you should be able to get same quality with lower price without extra software. Something to think about is what you really need. For example you don’t need to pay that much more to get a keyboard with additional knobs and sliders.
This one for example. In the end it’s up to you what you need.

Oxygen49 works fine with Ubuntu and fedora.

Control Keyboards should work out of the box if they are USB compliant. The same goes to USB Audio Interfaces but they are, sadly, not compliant in many cases.