Logic Pro "Spreader" - can this be done as dramatically in Renoise?

So, I purchased Logic as an additional DAW for mastering - loving it. It has an effect known as “Spreader”, and this is what I’ve been trying to accomplish with the Stereo effect in Renoise. Can’t seem to figure that out.

Is this possible, and how? Watch this video here to actually hear what I’m talking about:

I’m trying to get this sound, and not getting it. Please, if it is possible, explain the how-to in a step-by-step process? I’d love to get this part of the mix done in Renoise, before I begin applying the mastering chain in Logic.

The reason why?

If I apply this in Logic, everything gets the treatment - yeah, I can remove the frequencies in the low-end, etc. Logic’s plugin is easy. But every sound then gets the Spreader applied to it, as it’s a master mix. I’d like to do this in Renoise and get it out of the way, so I can simply boost the mix without applying the Spreader effect in Logic at all.

Keep in mind, this Spreader effect is STRONG - I haven’t figured out if this is even possible in Renoise.

You might want to try wider for this purpose:

Wider, Free Stereo Width plugin, Download Wider plugin, Free Polyverse (pluginboutique.com)

and Ambeo in addition:

dearVR MICRO: Free Plug-in for Neumann KU100 (sennheiser.com)

Or any mid/side processing plug-in like:

Midside Matrix — by Goodhertz, Inc.

Keep in mind, that Logic uses an immersive 3 D audio engine, which is not available for other software, so some sound effects might sound different.

Why not use Logic as your software for the final mix and render the Renoise tracks as audio tracks for using them there?

I’d better like Taktik to develop Renoise further, than to reinvent any kind of fx, since Renoise offers everything to start with and you can use any other third party plug-in in addition. :wink:

1 Like

Not sure that this will exactly replicate the effect of logic’s spreader, but here is an xrni mid-side processing chain using native devices. You can, of course, process the side channel to your heart’s content, placing dsp after the “UTIL - SIDE isolation” doofer in fx chain 3, just be aware that your mono mix (if you make one) will retain none of the side information.
Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 2.31.20 PM

I’ve saved each of these fx chains as chain presets, so I can drop them in and recreate this whenever I want to spice up the side channel of an xrni.

You could do something similar in the mixer using send tracks as well if you wanted to effect a larger portion of the mix. Or, just resample the section, and then mid/side process it as an instrument, possibly resampling that as well, if desired

Here is the fx chain in an otherwise empty xrni
native mid:side fx chain.xrni (2.1 KB)

and here is the side isolation utility, stand-alone. credit to @jneen for coming up with this method of isolating side information!
UTIL - SIDE isolation.xrdp (3.6 KB)

6 Likes

Its not native Renoise, but in conversation about spreading is worth to mention two vsts working in very very similar way and allow spreading and panning also via diffrend method
Panpot from Goodhertz Panpot — by Goodhertz, Inc.
and
Klevgrands Haaze Klevgränd

1 Like

I’ve already thought of that, and it’s a fine idea, but not the step I’d like to take. I’m a geek for taking Renoise as far as I can with the process without:

• exporting individual tracks
  • ever using VST/AU plugins within it

I’ve really gotten some incredibly great results by using Renoise alone; Logic is to me “the decorative icing on the cake”. I’m really hoping that Renoise can give a decent “spreader” effect by itself. Will be trying the @slujr setup, crossing my fingers.

It would be wonderful to not have to continually rely on outside sources.

Ok as I read somewhere , it seems that spreader actually spread different frequencies from R to L . Therefor it’s good to use on mono signal . The only way to achieve something similar in renoise I think is using 2 slightly different Eq’s on L and R (which will make the output signal stereo)
It also has a Haas style effect by introducing very short delay to one channel which is easy to replicate using a simple delay device .

3 Likes

Ah, found one that is actually really simple - surprisingly good, actually.

One single delay device.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 6.19.04 PM

L Delay @ 5ms
R Delay @ 10ms
No feedback
Send at 0.000 dB

Sounds great, and can add to individual tracks without affecting the entire mix, nor having to use the Logic’s Spreader EQ adjustment. Can adjust the Renoise spreader more by changing the milliseconds of delay. It’s pretty drastic and without feedback, and has a really wide sound. Not saying this is a total solution, but it’s pretty darn nice.

3 Likes

Yay! I’m glad you got some use out of this :]. For widening mono instruments i generally do one of a couple things:

• A similar setup to this but isolate L and R instead of mid and side, and put slightly different effects (usually cab sim, distortion, or other saturating effect) on each
  • Literally just a flanger or chorus
  • Put an EQ in “L-R” mode (you have to switch to “Full Display” for this) so you can pan some frequencies left and others right. Gives a decent “surrounding” effect in a pinch. I often do this in the high range for bass instruments.
  • Layer in lots of different samples and pan them using the instrument’s sample pan or different pan modulation

I find these give the richest and most interesting sounding wideness. I tend not to use Delay for making wideness unless I actually want a delay effect, just because it can do weird things to the mono mix if you’re not careful (always check the mono mix).

However, if you want the simple-as-dirt, one knob expander via Magic Algorithm, renoise’s Stereo Expander is also pretty decent.

4 Likes