Looking For A Software Play-Through Function

From the manual

“”

MONITORING WHAT YOU RECORD
The USB PLAYBACK TO CH2-CH3 pushbutton switch, when pushed in, provides a mix of the
preamp and computer signals. During typical operation either a local audio source is playing back, or
the computer is playing back, but not both at the same time. You can listen to either the preamp, or
the computer, without changing any settings. You will also be able to hear any computer alert signals
while you are listening to the record or tape if the alerts are also routed to the USB CODEC in your
computer’s sound setting control panel.
Some recording programs and computer systems provide what is called a “Play-Through” function.
This can be performed through software or hardware. When play-through is enabled, the computer
will output the audio that is being recorded, at the same time that it is actually being recorded. There
is a short delay, or latency, with this audio signal. There is also a potential for the computer’s audio
inputs and outputs to be inadvertently connected together thereby forming a feedback loop. This can
accidentally create very loud and disturbing sounds. Therefore, play-through is usually disabled by
default in both software and hardware.

“”

Is there a solution to this problem, that I am missing? Ableton doesn’t solve it, and I can’t figure it out in Reaper either. Plus its really screwing me up with Amplitube…

Cheers

Aren’t you mistaken your desire for a “Mix” function rather than hear what you record? Because hearing your input signal should be basic functionality in every program, but indeed usually requires you to toggle on a “monitor” or preview or speaker function before it is actually active. In renoise this is the “speaker” knob in the sample editor:

If you really aim for recording your system audio playback along with your input:
The driver should support this as the first thing and then with the software you can acquire the functionality.
Usually you should be able to toggle some “Mix” or “Stereo mix” setting in your driver configuration panel if possible, once that is toggled, the input channels should be mixed with the wave out

I’m way confused… I bought a new audio card. Its a budget one, I just wanted it for my monitors. Its the art usb. Anyways, its supposed to have a hi z channel for guitar, and whenever I plug in, I get nothing but feedback…

… meh, i was just thinking, i’ll probably save up fer a better card. :slight_smile:

Is your guitar externally powered? And how is the amplification level potmeter set on your guitar? (if you have any of that kind of control on it) Feedback usually means powerlevel on the external device is set too high.

just wondering…Is an ASIO driver being used? if your using the DirectSound drivers you might have to select your default recording(input) and Output device by right clicking the speaker icon in the taskbar and selecting “playback device” or “recording device”…which shows a list of devices…then right click one of those and set it as default…I say this because if i have been using my inbuilt mics on the laptop for chatting to someone, then once im bored of talking to them and have urge to use renoise and load a guitar plugin…whoops i havnt changed the settings back…I then get that feedback madness…

I’ve tried it both ways… With Asio4all, and the Directx driver. I think vV is right, and my guitar pickups are producing some sort of buzz, I think they are high-output pickups, or something…

I guess I could check it again, but it would be a bit of time, cause now I’ve actually disabled all my other drivers except asio and the usb codec. Should I not have done that? Or does it not matter? I disabled everything else, cause I tried it all ways, and my last, best idea, was to try disabling everything but asio + usb… but alas… still feedback :frowning:

Its not powered… but I think the pickups are hi-output…

That sounds like a driver issue or limitation. ASIO are handled the way the hardware manufacturer has designed it, there is no strict way how ASIO drivers should behave but in general, when ASIO drivers are used, no other audio applications can re-use those.
What does have influence is if you set your ASIO frequency rate to something different than 44Khz, usually transition from a DirectSound application back to Asio running with a different rate can cause glitches or DirectSound simply doesn’t function either.

well it only happens when using asio4all, doesnt happen when using the official behringer asio driver for the device(which does work pretty grand and locks the device like it should)…also, ive noticed with asio4all because it wraps the windows drivers the recording level setting in the windows options (eg rightclck speaker icon>>recording devices>>rightclick audio device for recording>>input level etc) for the soundcard effects the volume, and it boosts it way too much…i can actually set it too zero and get a good volume for recording without it peaking, maybe you should have a look at that 2 daze?

oh just remembered too, when recording my friends bass which is active, it can be set a bit mental and loud, i usually feed it into a little 2track mixer i have here and adjust gain on that before it goes to the audiointerface…

Ah, i wasn’t aware you were talking about ASio4all. Asio4All, though sometimes effective, remains a McGyver duct-tape solution, it won’t work with the best quality but it will hold for what it needs to do.