Looking for software or somekind of multiple sample editor

Not sure if this belongs in here but since this community deals with samples i might as well ask…

I have got tons of samples from various sources, and for example Philharmonia Orchestra´s sound exchance contains tons of samples with lot´s of silent before and after a sample, so i am asking that is there a software that would cut silent parts automatically. Since it takes forever manually.

Well, here are some tools that do some form of automatic silence removal:

Someone might be able to improve them and allow them batch processing on multiple samples/instruments…

The following tools have been disabled, because they are not compatible with this version of Renoise:

com.renoise.AddRemoveSilence

Please download the latest version of the tools from Renoise Tools | Renoise or contact the authors of the tools for assistance.

The following tools have been disabled, because they are not compatible with this version of Renoise:

com.bystrano.SampleUtilities

Please download the latest version of the tools from Renoise Tools | Renoise or contact the authors of the tools for assistance.

:confused:

If you are on linux you can write a script which calls SoX program. I can’t tell you how to exactly do this but if I were you that would be where I would start looking.

Audacity

Effect > Truncate Silence

• do not use 0 for “Max silence duration” but at least 1-5 milliseconds
  • as soon you are happy with your settings tuned, you can go ahead processing a batch of samples

File > Edit Chains… > add

“truncate silence”

Insert > TruncateSilence > OK (your tuned settings appear in “Parameter” field)

File > Apply Chain… > Apply to files…

Use sox in a simple shell command or a shell script.

something like…

mkdir newfiles  
for file in *.wav; do  
 sox [options] "$file" "newfiles/$file"  
done  

for [options] i don’t remember in every detail, you’ll need to look at the manpage/documentation for (current) sox.

I do remember you can set the amount of dB under which signal is considered silence.

Looks like i am installing linux now… Thank you.

This is a very handy tip. i just tried it like this:

worked like a charm!