Loops that know where they are

Hey all. First post! I believe I’ve found other posts somewhat addressing this, but can’t seem to find the solution.

I’d like to have several loops prepared, perhaps phrases or as audio, and be able to switch between them, only hearing one at a time. The trick that I’d like to figure out is how to do this in a live fashion without the loops starting from the beginning every time they’re triggered. They would just start from whatever point in the loop they would be at had they been triggered at the beginning of a pattern. I know how to program this with the S commands but I’d like to have a more live way to do this with the computer or midi keyboard.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks so much! This might take a minute to figure out how to actually set up my own steppers and swappers, but this is exactly what I was looking for. Do you know if there’s any way to select the samples from a drum pad or key press instead of the rotary macro knob?

So you would make a second instrument layer to control the macro knob which controls the stepper? I don’t quite understand.

Yes maybe Renoise is more made for utilization of the Effect commands. I’d still like to be able to just have a bunch of samples looping at the same time and then choose which sample is unmuted from a piano keyboard by pressing the key. I’m close with the stepper solution, but would like to customize the macro knob so it can be played across a keyboard. Is there a midi note range to knob position select conversion somewhere in this program?