Loops, time stretching and keys in Trackers

Hello,

Ive been asking myself lately what is the proper way of time stretching in Renoise and maybe other trackers.

And lets leave rubberband tool out of this :-).

I love the sound of synced, slowed melodic loops but because i cant control the tonal changes i can end with dissonant loop (is it right?) and so it can be hard to create a good sounding companion bass on chromatic scale.
By moving the BPM the tone / key changes so it is even harder…

In Reaper for example, i take loop, stretch it and then pitch it down by selectable amount of semitones so it will stay on the key. And then i can change tempo of the song and the tone of the sample wont change.

I ve got feeling that there is a different way how to think about downpitching / stretching in trackers and sync is redudant.
Some basic oldskul technique?
Can somebody give me the idea? Thanks

Actually the #Rubberband Timestretch/pitchshifting combined with the technic you described and want to use, is pretty perfect.

Why do you want to dismiss the easiest solution here?

I don’t always… but the rubberband is destructive

So when you change your tempo you have to apply rubber band again.

But i would love to know if there another technique that is more consistent with tempo changes (sometimes i make track on 130bpm and then change it to 90bpm).

Also, the rubberband plugin has started failing on me, throwing an error message.

The question stands – is there a “tracker native” way to chop samples and assign them to discrete lines so they can be played at different BPMs? I’ve seen different approaches, but I think Renoise needs to take a stand and show people the best way to do this VERY VERY common task.

The question stands – is there a “tracker native” way to chop samples and assign them to discrete lines so they can be played at different BPMs? I’ve seen different approaches, but I think Renoise needs to take a stand and show people the best way to do this VERY VERY common task.

Well certainly one classic method is simply to Slice the loop, then use the S___ effect command in the pattern editor. You can set the first S value to the first slice, the last S value to the last slice, and then interpolate between them (select the full pattern range and hit Command-I to interpolate the in-between values). For this to work well you certainly want to have as many slices as possible… you can also just use the S command without slicing, and interpolate between the start / finish, though you’ll have to guess a bit at the finish value.

There are others, and the one above isn’t always the best approach, but it can be very useful / effective.

Renoise has no time-stretching algorithm currently (unless you use Rubberband) so I’m not sure what other ‘magic’ solution you’re looking for. The simplest method (beatsync) will of course re-pitch the audio. But guess what old-school, classic samplers did: they re-pitched the audio…

hope this helped with your VERY VERY common question!