Lower Custom Resolution For Machines Like: Asus Eee Pc..

Hi,

I got an Asus pc series laptop (a small 7-incher) [701; as its manufacturer would call it], I am still running
on its own default OS: Linux, KDE variant…

I downloaded Renoise’s provided Linux release, and it works all smoothly with ‘minor exception’… The application GUI of itself is too big… Though I understand of its fore-warning that it needs to run at its minimal resolution (in which for that matter it is higher than 800 x 450) …

If there of any way to see a customized resolution for small laptops (or of its mini-variants) or a specific patch for Eee Pc … (800x400)?

The last thing that I wanna do is to install Windows XP … or resort to using WINE while running linux.

you could try using a virtual desktop with an higher resolution, like described here. You can’t magically overcome the phisical limitations of the monitor.

anyway, we say it again: don’t expect renoise to run smoothly on an Asus EEE, so please don’t open another post in the bugs section to tell us that you can’t play Renoise songs on your EEE :).

@rkn13:

Can you actually run Renoise on Asus Eee? I ask this because I was thinking that maybe I’d get one just for e-mails, internet and word processing. (Well, I’d like to install Apache server on it too, in order to run my own Mediawiki system on it).

It would be very helpful if you could post a screenshot of how it looks like when you run Renoise on the Asus Eee.

The thing is, I only need 4 channels and samples (i.e. no VST’s and effects). I just need to write down ideas quickly on-the-go, so even just 1 channel would be ok…

If you read this, please let me know how well Renoise works on your setup. What works, what doesn’t, etc… Thanks.

Word is out there that, Milkytracker runs fine on Asus EEE.

All right! That settles it, then. I’ll grab the Asus EEE tomorrow. :)

It works in renoise… but the default resolution is too small to access the song-settings, vst-parameters, (the bottom section of the app)…
because it runs at 800x400

speaking of Milkytracker, which of the linux releases for milky do i Install for Eee pc … plz let us know…

@Transcender

The bottom section of the application is cutoff, (as i mention recently earlier) that the essential properties to access the VST plugins, the FX rack, the buttons to switch of different modes: sampling, instrument-rollout, mixing…

I tried to shrink the sequence steps from 64 to 32 or less … (hopefully allows the gui of the app to constrict… but of course it doesn’t…)

@It-Alien,

renoise runs smoothly… it would be nice to allow custom-resizing or custom resolution…

So basically I can expect it to look like this?

It counts X,Y from top-left, right? If so, then that’s just fine. I don’t need access to the vst-parameters, song settings, etc – just open/save, entering notes into the pattern grid, and switching instruments/samples… I think one could just make a couple of template songs where all the vst:s and such (if needed) are already set for each channel.

Re: linux distribution and Milkytracker…

It appears that Milkytracker runs on Xandros (which I gather is pre-installed on EEE):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbbseVXrCBw

Also, check out the Xandros vs. WinXP boot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6oA11PFz2Y…feature=related

:o

I’m going to add a touch screen to my Eee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-BbOWVgXg…feature=related

:walkman:

Lots of stuff to cover here - this post comes with a TL;DR warning.

It-Alien - I do appreciate your concern, but this is a highly subjective issue on the sliding scale of relative processing capacity. My old AMD 2600+ didn’t run Renoise smoothly when I was kicking out 30+ channels of heavily DSP’d audio but ran it smoothly the rest of the time.

I don’t say this just to be pedantic, but you’re effectively laying down a disingenuous caveat which suggests to people that running Renoise on the Eee is some sort of unreliable hack effort. It’s not. I can sit and program eight channels of polyphonous softsynth audio quite happily, which I then render to wav and use in Milkytracker compositions. In truth, I don’t know when the glitches would begin, and it’s probably not far off - but if I ran enough resource-heavy stuff through my 2.66Ghz Quad Core, I daresay I could get the playback to fall apart :)

Lots of people use relatively lower-spec machines, but they rarely need to be warned about the rather obvious spec-to-performance ratio - why beat Eee users over the head with it? No matter what the computer, every user with half a clue works to the limitations of their hardware.

Like I say, though, I appreciate the concern and I’m not just having a go ;)

##################

rkn13 - I’d strongly suggest you ditched the partially-proprietary Xandros in favour of the MUCH less flaky EeeXubuntu distrobution, which is perfect and will free up a vast proportion of your 4GB (hopefully?) storage. It’s Ubuntu, but with the lightweight XFCE desktop manager (much more appropriate to the Eee than Gnome or KDE) and without most of the unnecessary Ubuntu bullshit. It also includes very reliable ACPI scripts and stuff, so that hotkeys and things like that work happily. Check out www.eeeuser.com’s forums and wiki, where this is all covered in detail.

(Oh, it takes a little bit longer to boot, but when you realise that the Xandros install is basically saved on the disk TWICE on a UnionFS filesystem - once for your ‘live’, day to day OS and once as a clean backup - you appreciate the value of making the most of your 4GB… Assuming you don’t have the 2GB version. I guess you’ve also got some sort of semi-permanent SD storage in the slot too)

“The last thing that I wanna do is install Windows XP” - that’s a shame to hear, because although I too have various ideological problems with XP (and with OSX and Linux, come to that - Workbench for ever!), a musician has to forget that rubbbish and simply use the best tool for the job. Honest truth? Dual-booting Linux and XP on the Eee is the best tool for the job in this case: the Intel XP drivers for the Eee’s graphics card are VERY slick, and enable you to switch back and forward to and from a scrolling 1024x768 display. Even better, you can save a profile preset that changes the screen res to 1024x768 when you run Renoise…and back to 800x480 when Renoise closes. That’s aside from the obvious fact that you don’t have to mess around with VST emulation and all that. Obviously there are some Linux solutions, as It-Alien kindly pointed out, but much as I love Linux, it’s not above messing up all your hacky solutions when the X-server gets automatically updated, or whatever. That’s when you have to stop expecting things to run smoothly ;)

Bear that in mind. My Xubuntu install takes about 1.1GB and my nLited XP install takes about 500MB.

#############

Transcender - it’s been said, but yes, the Eee would do you fine. Running an Apache server from it sounds like a bold and reckless battery-gobbling endeavour, but whatever floats your boat :) Also watch out for Apache’s potentially voracious disk-writes on your finite SSD (although I’m not too worried about that; I reckon the lifespan’s probably quite reasonable - do some research and see what you think).

Milky seems to run fine on the Eee now, since Deltafire and I spent almost a month battling segfaults and bemusing SDL errors in order to stop it from clicking on the default Xandros OS :) However, you still need to tweak some advanced audio options in Xandros’ crappy control panel thing. Again, best to get Xubuntu, adjust your latency to something sensible, and sit back to enjoy click-free playback of even the biggest 32-chan XMs.

############

Fiiiiiiinally, I doubt it would be a good use of dev time to squash the Renoise GUI down just for the sake of Eee users :) It breaks my heart a tiny bit to say it, but there it is. It-Alien is absolutely right (and I hope he doesn’t take my criticism the wrong way) - Eee isn’t the right tool for the job, in the conventional sense, but that hasn’t stopped me using it for specific purposes. But as long as your expectations are realistic, there’s no worry. The Eee is EXCELLENT for Milkytracker, and that’s basically all I use mine for. In fact I prepared for its release by holding long, tedious discussions with pailes and Deltafire (he does the Linux port) to see if they thought it’d run fine - thanks to the already-implemented custom resolution SDL design of Milky, there weren’t too many problems to iron out. By the time Xubuntu went on the Eee, there were no problems AT ALL - it’s only Xandros that misbehaved.

I hear from its author that LPGT now runs click-free on the Eee too - he and Deltafire pooled some intelligence to overcome the obstacles :)

Fiiiiinally fiiiiiiinally, a word about clock speeds. Although I’m happy to mess with my FSB under Linux, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it to anyone who wasn’t 100% au fait with the OS. Under XP, it’s as simple as running a tray app with low/med/high options for FSB, enabling you to run at the full 900mHz whenever you boot. I use this for live performances where I run Milkytracker with Pure Data in the background - not because the 630mHz default underclocked speed can’t cope, but just in case things get frisky. At 900mHz your battery life drops, obviously, but there you go. Also, you could fry an egg on the keyboard…but look on the bright side: you could fry an egg on the keyboard!

Right, no more caffeine for me. Night all.

hi lightbomb, and thanks for your very detailed report!

I am happy to know that the EEE fulfills your needs. What I was trying to avoid with my warnings is that someone who is not an EEE user will ever think to buy one and be disappointed with the results. There is a workmate of mine which did exactly this.

also, as you indeed said, the musician should simply choose the best set of tools for him; I personally think that Milkytracker is the perfect tool for EEE users; I think I would really find impossible to work at 1024*768 on EEE screen.

Another thing I would like to avoid is spreading the idea that Renoise can be run on low-profile machines and handheld devices. Please use Milkytracker for this task, as we will not limit future development because someone has to run Renoise 4.0 under a P2 600Mhz :) The past example of Renoise1.8 requiring SSE instructions is clarifying.

On the other hand, at work we tried the software me are making (a CAD and mesh generator, not exactly the lightest software one can imagine) on the EEE, and I was surprised to see it run better than I thought.

schism tracker

almost any OS

680x400

Thankyou guys… appreciated,

one more thing, concerning milky…

for the Eee, which one of Milkytracker release do i download for the Eee?

(if it isn’t compiled and have to be build, then any tips on how to go about that process? [make/build…])

I’m still learning more and more on the linux scene…

It-Alien - fair enough; that’s helpful for newcomers to know in general :)

rkn13 - Xandros, like Ubuntu, is a fork of Debian so the Debian release of Milky is probably the best. However, Milky has finally been rolled into the Ubuntu reps, so should be easily available through synaptic/apt-get on any *buntu install from the Universe repository. You shouldn’t have to build Milky yourself, unless you experience mad issues on Xandros - regardless, it’s a big waste of space on your Eee installing all the gcc build essentials required to make/build from source so avoid if possible. Help is never far away, though: #milkytracker irc.esper.net is a good place to get it.

all i can say that running renoise in Eee pc with just Xandrox’s advanced desktop, (limited resolution) but with the help of the ‘alt+click’ method to move window, it works fine…

Though its alot of moving around if you are tweaking and building tracks from scratch… It works right off the bat…