LPB highlights follow automation intelligently

Hey guys. Here’s my thesis, if you will… :)

Let’s assume you have your higlight set to follow the LPB (default). At this time (v2.8.1), if you automate changes in LPB in the middle of a pattern, once you reach the automation point the entire pattern’s hightlight changes to the new LPB setting. This makes things confusing and you immediatelly lose track of beats within the pattern. Everything looks and feels misplaced. (Same goes for automation envelopes display.)

Here’s an example to make things clear. Say you have a pattern that goes in 4-LPB until line 16 (4 beats), 5-LPB until line 36 (4 beats) and then 4-LPB again up to 52 (4 more beats). Current highlightig is like this:

LPB=4
etc.

Once you hit play and the cursor reaches line 16 your new highlight will be:

etc.

and will change back at line 32…

As you can see, once you’re in the 5-LPB frame, none of your notes appears on beat any more! (because the 5-LPB starts on 16 so it’s proper highlights would be 16, 21, 26, etc.)

My suggestion is change the LPB highlight function into a more intelligent way. Have it read the automation of LPB beforehand and change only for the lines that are actually in a different LPB frame. Resulting in a highlight that looks like this

That would make for a clear overview of your LPB setting and would most definitely inspire some really out-there beats!

Thanks for reading,
Chris

P.S.1. A workaround at the moment is to set a fixed highlight value based on the predominant LPB setting throughout the track (say 4) and whenever you change to a new LPB, well, basically just do the math in your head. This gets confusing fast, especially when your re-entry points don’t fall on a highlight…

P.S.2. If you’re interesting in getting ideas about varying LPB, I strongly suggest looking into Carnatic music (music of South India). You will be blown away by how these mathematical geniouses use rhythm!