LPB Resolution increase

How can i have an increase of resolution for things like glissando up 4 octaves then back down four octaves within one beat @ 100bpm?
I work in 8 or 12 LPB at the moment however i can’t figure out how i can efficiently get more resolution for glissando, mod wheel and pitch bend actions.

a good way to transparently get more resolution is increasing the number of ticks per line, which is 12 by default and can be raised up to 16 in song properties or using track command ZK10.

pay attention to the fact that any tick based command (like for example retrig, 0Rxy) is affected by TPL value:

at TPL 12, 0R06 will retrig the note once per row, at tick 6
at TPL 16, 0R06 will retrig the note twice per row, at tick 6 and tick 12

Thank you but how will this increase the amount of notes i can use in a glissando of say 2 octaves up and down within one bar?
It still only records 8 notes for the 8 lines in each bar?

You can use the column delay to trigger multiple notes within one line. You just have to use multiple colums then (as many as you want notes to trigger within one line). You can end those notes with the Cx command. However, if you intend to use a polyphonic glissando, with the native instruments you will run into problems again, because there is yet no note-off command, that’s fast enough. So each note will simply be cut off with the Cx command, without any release tail.

It increases the line integrity of a pattern effect command:
To demonstrate this do something similar like this with a sample based command (thus sample based instrument):
C-2 01 … – 0U01
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00
— 01… … – 0U00

In the Song compatibility options, set Ticks to 1
Play the pattern, now increase the ticklevel while it is playing and observe the difference.

Yes the delay column would work fine apart from not having note-off’s that aren’t fast enough! What a pitty.

I’m not sure how fast you really want note changes to be.
I adjusted the Gxx commands of the fuzzy slide instrument (in the Renoise library) to make it slide more or less almost instant. Also raised the LPB of the phrase to 10.
If you double or quadruple the LPB of the ordinary pattern editor, you would not need multiple note-columns but you can just transition between notes.
4710 fuzzy slidely adjusted.xrni

Uh… i overlooked this so far it’s silly.

I basically wanted to span say for example 24 notes within one bar with a lpb of 12 each note playing one after the other. Obviously i’m missing 12 lines
so i needed to somehow fit the other 12 in… I created a phrase with an increased lpb (24 for double the amount of resolution)…

So obvious… too many late nights tracking i think! :)

Thanks for all your help.

Just realised - I only want more line counts for certain parts but i am unable to enable/disable the phrase? Can a phrase just be used for say line 16-20 but outside of
that just use single shot triggering as per the pattern editor?

You can do two things:
Duplicate the instrument and then remove the phrase in the duplicate. (you would need to switch instruments)

You can also duplicate the samples and divide them across differrent keyranges in the keyzone and limit the phrase to be stroked by the same range of keys you have divided your original sample sets to, which means that the keys the phrase is not assigned to, will play the plain notes of the sample (duplicated) sample in the other keyzone, while in the lower keyzone, the phrase will be played.
You need to set the basenote of the second keyzone areas relative that it matches the same octave ranges as your samples in the original setups. The amount of available octaves lowers by the amount of splits you introduce. (one split means two key zone ranges means 5 octaves, two splits mean five 2 octave ranges)

Example attached:4711 Two range controlled.xrni

[quote=“vV, post:10, topic:40883”]
You can do two things:
Duplicate the instrument and then remove the phrase in the duplicate. (you would need to switch instruments)

You can also duplicate the samples and divide them across differrent keyranges in the keyzone and limit the phrase to be stroked by the same range of keys you have divided your original sample sets to, which means that the keys the phrase is not assigned to, will play the plain notes of the sample (duplicated) sample in the other keyzone, while in the lower keyzone, the phrase will be played.
You need to set the basenote of the second keyzone areas relative that it matches the same octave ranges as your samples in the original setups. The amount of available octaves lowers by the amount of splits you introduce. (one split means two key zone ranges means 5 octaves, two splits mean five 2 octave ranges)

Example attached:4711 Two range controlled.xrni
Sorry i should have been more clear - i am executing these chromatic glissando’s on a midi keyboard with a vst PLUGIN loaded into a slot.

Edit: I could use one track for normal lpb stuff of a single instrument however there’s a possibility of creating a second track dedicated to just glissando’s using phases with higher lpb but if i only had one glissando in the entire song this seems quite impractical. Is there really no other way to do perform this simple task?

With a VST these simple things are already quite complicated to achieve (in any daw!) because it is merely also up to the VST to support glissando’s in its own structure. (The sample commands usually do not apply to VST instruments simply because they cannot be controlled that way)
But currently the phrases cannot be turned off and on in a programmable fashion (this would at least solve the issue to toggle phrases when desired and when not for all instruments), that is if you do can accomplish glissando’s on plugins using phrases, but this will usually only work with Midi CC’s.

this is what i can achieve in studio one… how can i do the same in a live performance using Renoise while recording this amount of data?
all plugins in this ss are set to legato and respond in exactly the same manner. this project was set at 100bpm in s1.

In a live performance recording?
Recording this specially that time-frame can only be achieved by raising the global LPB and toggling the “mono” button if you need this applied to a plugin directly.
If you can craft it, then Bit_Arts’ answer will do the same (laying out notes on the same line using delay offset), but as said:the plugin must be able to respond with legato regardless how it receives its note.
There are also plugins that perform legato if the previous note was provided with a quick note-off, but act polyphonic if it receives multiple notes without an explicit note-off. In that case you also need the Cx cut commands in the vol/pan column as Bit_Arts explained (plugins will receive these as note-offs, while samples in Renoise will actually be cut at instant)

I assume this is a limitation on Renoise’s behalf then? Would you say so too?

Well, that is simply the limitation of a tracker in general, not just Renoise.

It doesn’t mean Renoise has to be limited too imo. That sort of mentality of comparing limitations to other trackers gives an
awesome excuse but not a single a solution. Although now i’m feeling i should be looking at Renoise as only a tracker, not a DAW.

Yes, Renoise certainly has a bit of an identity crisis there. It is still unclear to me after all these years, what it wants to be really…a modern DAW with a tracker interface, or a contemporary Tracker.

No, indeed it doesn’t, but it currently just is this way.
For the level of recording that you want on sub-line level (because that is what we discuss here) we have still this old pattern-zoom topic around. Along with Danoise’s visual idea of it.
In there the subline levels were thought out embedded in the pattern itself like the phrases currently are now for the instruments, which imho is still a great solution.
You might want to bump it up by adding your 2 cents to the idea if you like…

The Devs had this planned out since Renoise 2.0, but i’m not sure in what part of the future they will implement it

On a side-note, RevisIT has pattern zooming, so frankly:there is a tracker that has such a feature after all