Mac App Store

Sony? No chance! How did you work that one out?

Apple:
Revenue ▲ $42.91 billion (2009)
Total assets ▲ $47.50 billion (2009)
Total equity ▲ $31.64 billion (2009)

Sony:
Revenue ▼ $77.205 billion (2010)
Total assets ▲ $137.694 billion (2010)
Total equity ▲ $31.741 billion (2010)

How does your original figure of 51B fit in with those numbers?

Market Capital is not exactly a good figure for purchasing power.

Most takeovers are at least 5-10 years revenue, plus assets, plus equity. Hence why those are the figures I posted. Takeover/being able to buy isn’t the same as being bigger than.

Although Apple have over tripled in last 2 years, whereas Sony have stayed not far off even, so my figures are quite badly out. I still don’t believe they have the Purchasing Power.

one thing is for sure: Apple can’t buy Renoise.

…can it? :unsure:

Fixed!

hmm Renoise for iPad… hmm… :dribble:

The store opens in 3 weeks.

I can’t seem to find the link but I read recently Cydia is also doing a store for mac apps.

From Apple:

This is the end, my only friend, the end…

No… the only way… g-gone… no… WUUAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :(

What about a version for Windows Phone 7? :)
I have a Samsung Omnia 7 and it’s a pretty neat gadget. It just lacks… Renoise ^^

The App needs to go through Marketplaces approval (just like with the Appstore), but I think Microsoft is not as restrictive as Apple.

I think that for most part Apple is going to ignore their own rules. They just want to have those in place so that they can easily reject things they don’t want there. I think they’ve learned from iPhone AppStore somewhat.

As for Renoise, why not sell it at $199 at Mac App Store and keep upgrading the version indefinitely (lifetime upgrades etc). Or maybe as Renoise 2, Renoise 3 etc (full version upgrades at $59 or so)? I’m guessing Apple will also introduce some kind of DRM and even if not those who want unauthorized copy will always get one. But that is not a reason to treat all (potential) customers as thieves, just make noise about Renoise’s “nice underdog” imago.

The Mac App Store launched today.

/me blows paper party party horn.

They’ve bundled it in an OS upgrade, 10.6.6. One 6 short of the devil.

Basically, it’s not optional.

I will wait a couple of days before installing it. I generally like to read what the web feedback is on an OS update is; to avoid system instability issues.

Yes; please do! As a new mac user and having spent ages setting everything up, the last thing I need is an ‘update’ which will break everything…

Cheers!

Ok, I made a backup via Time Machine and bit the bullet.

Here’s my opinion.

Mandatory Snow Leopard update, which breaks the “no new features” credo for 10.6; something I supported (stablize, give the platform and it’s developers some time to breathe)

The apps I already own, I can’t rate, which is unfortunate because I would rate them positively. (Billings, for example)

State of Audio Apps is very weak. Clearly aimed at the consumer, not the producer.

I couldn’t buy iLife 11 as a whole, had to buy them separately. So I went to the Apple Store and mail ordered it.

Most importantly. NO RENOISE.

Anyway, not the apocalypse. Interesting for sure. I’m on the fences for now.

Could you not put the free version of Renoise on the app store? I suppose that would break AppStore rules, if the full version is not available there too.

funny how they make it the first app in the dock after you restart the computer.

looks pretty good though even as a place to check out some free apps. you need an apple id of course to get anything.

@Connor_BW Thanks for your initial impressions; I will tread carefully in any case. Many-a-good 'puter has been shafted by ‘updates’ ;)

My 0.02 for the Renoise-in-the-AppStore:

I would think a version, for say £15/$20, which was limited to 8 tracks, 3 sends and Renoise native effects only would be a great ‘taster’ and in-app purchases could unlock these features and indeed others as suggested in this thread

I would also like to see an iOS version; a sort of cheap try-before-you-buy/fun portable version for nomadic trackerphiles…or an .xrns ‘player’ :)

Get renoise in the app store. Acquire $$$. Hire more developers. Make renoise better.