MacOS: Renoise doesn't memorize/restore window size (and other settings)

Since updating to 3.4, Renoise loads in a tiny window on first loading it up, every single time; I have to manually click to expand to full size after every load…quite irritating. Anybody else? I’m on iMac Catalina.

note: even after expanding, resetting the size of each area, saving that to a snapshot and saving the session as the template, on next launch it ignores all of this and loads in a tiny window again, and with the sizes of everything I set ignored.

1 Like

Had the same issue, can be fixed by once change the scaling factor forth and back, as far as I remember. Then on next launch, it should not happen again.

Yep same issue.

Damn this unlock so much power. Best day ever for long time

If people have problem with Renoise not starting maximized, i repaired it by

• Go to full screen mode, exit app, start app, exit full screen mode.
    Since then its starts maximized.

“Had the same issue, can be fixed by once change the scaling factor forth and back, as far as I remember. Then on next launch, it should not happen again.”

How do I change the scaling factor forth and back?

From your current setting e.g. 200% to 175% and then back to 200%.

in options, but there is faster my way, full screen mode exit, start disable full screen mode.

“but there is faster my way, full screen mode exit, start disable full screen mode.”

that didn’t fix the whole issue though, mr.Positive.

yes, it makes it appear larger, as it should; but it still resets the size of the different sections of the screen. Previously, whatever size the browser, any other ‘part’ of the screen, were set to, that’s how they load on startup. now, they are loading at a ‘fixed’ size every time, not my usual settings. E.g. try changing the browser to be wider, exit, reload: it’s skinny again.

It did for me :-/ Maybe i did somethint more. but with auto user scalling inteface and after switching it off and on with full screen, on retina macbook and big sure, it remembers for me width of right options like browse list etc. It remembers all widths and all open options [like if i have mix screen, or track scopes, etc] It didn’t after upgrade.

It could be that you have a permissions issue. Renoise stores the display layout in the Config.xml file located under ~/Library/Preferences/Renoise/VersionNumber/

On my machine permissions are rw-r–r-- (644), and also has an extended attribute ‘com.Apple.TextEncoding’.

This could also be an Apple security protection thing.

Sometimes MacOS decides to force applications to run in sandboxes. Apps will then operate in a read-only alike file system - so nothing they do persists. This often happens when running an app not from /Applications such as the Downloads folder. Sometimes it also happens for applications in the /Applications folder. I’ve got no clue why, but this definitely is super annoying.

Easy way to fix this is removing the Renoise.app, then download it again.
After you’ve downloaded it, make sure you do not start it from the Downloads folder. Move it to /Application first. Then start it.

If this doesn’t work, and you’re familiar with the Terminal you can also try to remove the quarantine flag from the Renoise.app:

xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Renoise.app
2 Likes