macro --->percentage

We all know about ableton instrument rack ;

It’s bassically like renoise fx chain but with the added abiliy to define zones , and then crossfade between zones with a pointer

In renoise when we assign multiple samples to a different fx lane , 1 macro controller can be used to define a minimum and maximum amount for eacht lane’s output/gain controller , but it doesn’t let you define a specific zone because it’s only uses linear /log/exp scaling .

The solution might be to define a macro mapping parameter in percentage .

Of course the minimum /maximum value is still used , but this is then relative to the percentage

Example macro 1 :

mapping 1 : 0 %---->24 % … the macro min /max value only works within the pertentage range, outside the range = mute

mapping 2 25%---->50% idem

mapping 3: 51 %---->75 % idem

mapping 4 76%---->100%

This way we can use the macro as a scanner , added bonus would be a crossfade setting .

Think about it , with just 1 macr controller , muliptle samples /mappings and gain controllers we could do some crazy crossfading /vector synthesis .

Hmmmm , maybe it needs some more food for thought , not sure this would work …

Apart from the ‘mute thing’: if the macro itself is not powerful enough, just implement it using meta-devices.

Basically, connect the macro to the reset parameter of a custom LFO device and draw your own envelope.

Repeat as many times as you need custom ‘zones’.

With modulation, we have something similar to the custom LFO: the stepper device.

From the Renoise sampler tab, select Instrument Presets > Tutorial > Modulation - Sample Swapper to see this in action.

NOppes , the lfo is monophonic and is not suited for this .

Ahhha …macro to step reset does it …

Yipie

I’ve thought maybe the XY pad, Connected to macros with opposite values for volume control, then map those to the X and Y axis.

But I dont use Ableton so maybe you’re trying to do something else

yes , I have done the xy approach before .for vector synthesis , only 4 samples .

Final quick rant ,

The stepper has a maximum of 256 steps resolution

When scrolling ( macro—>reset ) through the ramp in linear mode, only 256 steps from full amplitude to zero …

We need to get beyond the 256 limit for ultra smooth amplitude crossfading

Not that I’m against moar, but your example above sounds pretty smooth to my ears already!

Not that I’m against moar, but your example above sounds pretty smooth to my ears already!

Yes but that example is using an X-Y controller to crossfade between waves ( xy controls 2 macros ) , the macros control the volume operandi which is much smoother

The stepper gives more possibilities but it highest resolution is 256 steps , this resolution defines the smoothness of the amp scaling

Here the stepper is used …

+1