Make the cursor midi mappable!

I’ve been working on midi mapping my Maschine Mikro, and I realized that this is probably one of the only things in the navigation that can’t be midi mapped. If this was midi-mapped I think you could do a TON of work, just from your midi controller! I’ve got almost everything midi mapped in terms of navigation except this one thing. You can go left to right by midi mapping the under the tracks and columns tab, so why can’t you can’t you move it up and down? Honestly, it just doesn’t make sense to me. The simple fact that you can move it with the Qwerty keyboard, it seems you should be able mid map it. If I could map it, I could keep my keyboard away until I needed to do effects commands. For me, while I’m working I like to work with physical controls. The way I envision this, is using a an endless encoder moving left to right, and another one moving up and down (preferably notched). I think it could add a lot of extra functionality even though it’s such a simple mapping. You could do a ton of work just from a controller.

Of course, I might be the only one who thinks this. And maybe I’m crazy! Maybe there’s a way to do it and I don’t even know it! :D/>/>

A small max msp / pd patch can track the mouse (x,y) and convert it to midi cc data.

Is this what you mean?

No i’m talking about this. Let me move the cursor up and down with a midi controller!

Most MIDI mappings in Renoise are implemented in plain Lua, in a document called GlobalMidiActions.lua

You can modify this document, add your mappings too.
As an example, I added these mappings:

-- Navigation:Pattern Lines  

add_action("Navigation:Pattern:Select Previous Line [Trigger]",  
function(message)  

if message:is_trigger() then  
 local line_index = song().selected_line_index  
 local patt_index = song().selected_pattern_index  
 local patt = song().patterns[patt_index]  
 if (line_index == 1) then  
 line_index = patt.number_of_lines  
 else  
 line_index = line_index - 1  
 end  
 song().selected_line_index = line_index  
 end  

end)  

add_action("Navigation:Pattern:Select Next Line [Trigger]",  
function(message)  

if message:is_trigger() then  
 local line_index = song().selected_line_index  
 if (line_index == patt.number_of_lines) then  
 line_index = 1  
 else  
 line_index = line_index + 1  
 end  
 song().selected_line_index = line_index  
 end  

end)  

add_action("Navigation:Pattern:Current Line [Set]",  
function(message)  

if message:is_abs_value() then  
 song().selected_line_index = clamp_value(  
 message.int_value, 1, patt.number_of_lines)  

elseif message:is_rel_value() then  
 song().selected_line_index = clamp_value(  
 song().selected_line_index + message.int_value,  
 1, patt.number_of_lines)  

end  

end)  

To add these mappings to Renoise, simply copy-paste this code and add it to your copy of GlobalMidiActions.lua
For detailed instructions, see the google code link above?

Thanks Danoise, that’s awesome! What are the limitations of this? Does this mean with a little scripting everything can potentially be midi-mapped in Renoise? I’ve got some idea’s that I want to try out. For example, I used to have a launchpad and there’s a Tool that allows you to use it as a Step Sequencer. I’d like set up my Maschine controller to act as a step sequencer in Renoise. I was thinking that I would create a series of templates in Maschine each acting as a different point of reference for midi-maps. So I would have one dedicated to live playing, one dedicated to general control and composing and one as a step sequencer? The template editor in Maschine is pretty rad. You can setup a lot of different things.

Here’s a question, using this scripting stuff, could I midi map the start and end loop points in the Renoise Sampler? With an unnotched endless encoder, if this was possible, this would make editing loop points in samples super easy! It would be really neat to be able to completely midi map the sampler so that I could make it more hands on.

Pretty much, yeah. Everything which is exposed by the API anyway. The limitation is that…

To make something like a step sequencer you need it to light up buttons on the controller, which is a lot more involved than just listening to, mapping to incoming messages. It is the reason we have something like Duplex - which already known how to set a certain color on the a wide range of controllers.
Of course, you could engineer a script that would allow you to talk to the Machine. It just a question of how much work that would be In itself.

This would not be hard to make - it could be done both with midi actions, or by packaging as tool.
But you won’t magically get automation recording for it, though.