Malware Trojan Virus in the license

Like I mentioned before is this part of Renoise?

There are so many fuckin scams out there today its hard to keep your head on tight

so you are telling me I nothing to worry about and I can restore my license?

Of course I paid can’t get this host without paying

1 Like

I am good until 4.2 version

1 Like

false negative.

1 Like

You mean positive :joy:

4 Likes

Just buy a mac, no viruses.

I contacted Bitdefender this week and they sorted it for me and the redux and Renoise licence. Contact your AV provider

The issue I had earlier this week was for gen:Variant.Lazy.504891 and indeed BD now flags the file up as having Gen:Variant.Tedy.566147. I have reopened my ticket with them

@Oakum I have confirmation back from Bitdefender that the file is safe and reported so in the next virus definition update. I have done a forced update all seems ok. Have you tried Renoise recently. I do hope it’s not per machine basis.

This is why I don’t use antivirus. It’s like quiet mode while I’m trying to make music and let the viruses fester

No I haven’t tried Renoise yet. I was waiting for a responce from Bitdefender. Maybe I have to go on their website to see if there is an answer. If it safe as you say I will try Renoise again this coming weekend. I will let you know if there is an issue.

People seem to get paranoid :grimacing:

1 Like

You get a virus warning for the file “license.txt”?

You don’t need a virus scanner for that. You would need a lawyer to fix it. It is a plain text file with some legalese for the software.

This won’t infect anyone, it might put you into sleep however if you keep reading it over and over again.

Whoever programmed that virus scanner doesn’t know how to detect and exclude plain text files from the search?

I cant imagine paying for AV software in 2024. Hope this isnt pride before a fall lol

1 Like

What about using a proper ingoing/outgoing firewall instead? On macos for example, there is Little Snitch, a really advanced, lightweight firewall. A real firewall will give you much higher security than all those shitty all-in-one virus protections. Also look for open source, and also disable all the microsoft services calling to the internet, because most likely these will have security holes, and the more stuff is open, the bigger the attack surface.

Of course you can’t use anything Microsoft internal then, if you want real security.

Seriously, this is one reason why I am happy not to have to manage Windows anymore, with it’s 100 system services all calling to the internet, and nowadays hardly having a open source, proper firewall for it. macos is now the same story, about 120 system services, from which you can disable 20-30 and also blocking most of it.

But you need to know what you are doing/blocking.

You also do not need a “live” file scanner, it just slows down Windows like hell. All those anti virus suites are extremely badly programmed, and will slow down general file access. Actually the whole concept is totally flawed. Instead, use a proper firewall configuration and then scan the system only from time to time, using an open source scanner. And use your brain, use a proper web browser and email client, do not automatically load all email attachments, do not double click the excel file from the Nigerian prince who offers you a million dollars.

I mean, with Windows 11, there seems to be no good reason anymore to use Windows at all, since their only advantage, staying compatible no matter what seems to be gone. Besides gaming… You can also install hackintosh on your pc, just that you know… Or best, use Linux, and learn the basics of real internet security.

a virus in a license is a license to ill

1 Like

Apple Chip Flaw Leaks Secret Encryption Keys | WIRED.

No thanks.

“Shell Shock” …enough said about open source security (roffles).
It took like twenty years of open source development to find it finally.