Måns Zelmerlöw - Heroes VS David Guetta - Lovers On The Sun

What do you think about the discussion of “Heroes” is equal to “Lovers On The Sun”?

Is it plagiarism?

Chords and arrangement are different. I am just guessing that people react since both use a pentatonic scale in melody (which is kind of a trend in pop music atm and Guetta was hardly the first one to use this). Also, some motif is the guetta song is vaguely reminiscent to the Zelmerlöw song, but far from plagiarism.

Calling it plagiarism would be about as sensible as calling every disco song a plagiarism of bee gees night fever (or whatever disco song was the first one).

I’ve seen that many people that don’t really have a musical ear are calling things plagiarism because, to them, a song evokes “the same feeling” as another one. This is totally subjective and not a valid ground for such statements. Plagiarism should be a matter of chords/melody or that the arrangement is a direct carbon copy.

Chords and arrangement are different. I am just guessing that people react since both use a pentatonic scale in melody (which is kind of a trend in pop music atm and Guetta was hardly the first one to use this). Also, some motif is the guetta song is vaguely reminiscent to the Zelmerlöw song, but far from plagiarism.

Calling it plagiarism would be about as sensible as calling every disco song a plagiarism of bee gees night fever (or whatever disco song was the first one).

I’ve seen that many people that don’t really have a musical ear are calling things plagiarism because, to them, a song evokes “the same feeling” as another one. This is totally subjective and not a valid ground for such statements. Plagiarism should be a matter of chords/melody or that the arrangement is a direct carbon copy.

If you don’t hear that the Hero song is based on David Guettas “Lovers On The Sun” you are the one who don’t have a musical ear!!!

The style is the same and the structure of the Heroes seems not to be a product of artistic inspiration, but of an act of modeling based on another piece of art.

Haha… I’m quite musically gifted actually.

If you would be as well, you would recognize that the first half of this video only shows that the Guetta “ostinato” is applicable over the Zelmerlöw chord progression. Which is true with many ostinatos and chord progressions. Any given ostinato can bring flavour to a lot of songs.

The second half doesn’t show anything, except that parts of both songs are harmonically compatible enough (due to chord functions) to make a remix with both songs.

“The style is the same”? If that’s your argument, I’m leaving it there.