Massive-Style Performer For Automation Window.

This sounds cool. Can you elaborate?

Do you mean “zero-ing” an existing envelope in a periodic way?

-Harold

Lets say, I have this shape in the automation editor…

3052 envel 1.jpg

through control over even, uneven points, something like this could be achieved more easily:

Attachment 3053 not found.

What I have in mind is this:

• use the cursor position in the pattern editor as a start point;
  • in the tool window, let the user select the length (in lines) of the slice (e.g. 2 lines, 1 beat, 2 beats);
  • in the tool window, there is a button for each shape (half sine, saw, pulse…); when clicked, they enter the corresponding shape in the current automation frame, starting at the cursor position, and with the length selected above
  • in the tool window, there is buttons to increase/decrease the top and the bottom of the shape, to flip it vertically and horizontally, and so on.

Obviously the UI is not as nice as your web tool, but the advantage is that you can quickly replace a slice with a different shape, until you find the one you want. Different workflows, and they probably complete each other.

I’ll try to implement it, but since I’m new to renoise this may take a while.

I had a quick look at the API (it’s really nice!), and I have built a prototype of the GUI I have in mind:

3057 automasher-prototype.png
Note: this only the interface, it doesn’t do anything useful at the moment.

Basically you would select a track and a cursor position in the pattern editor, and then click one of the shapes in the tool window to insert one slice of data in the automation envelope. You can customize the length of the slice, and the min and max value. There would be also a tool to modify the current slice, similar to the “modify vol/pan/delay” option of the pattern editor. Finally, instead of working with the cursor, an alternative mode would use the current selection.

Now start the hard part, the actual code… :)

I didn’t know you could do buttons with images. Very cool. Looking forward to trying it out when it lives.

gui looks good! Good luck with the coding part, might find some inspiration in Dblue’s ‘automation from notes script’? ( New Tool (2.7): Automation From Notes )

omg epic! looking forward! B)

Ok, made a first cut at a Renoise tool version tonight. It’s real minimal.

Instructions:

1. Install the attached.
  2. Add a hydra
  3. Bring the automation tab to the front
  4. Select the ‘input’ parameter on the hydra
  5. Set your edit step to something nice, like 4 (ctrl-4)
  6. Tools > automatron…
  7. Select a shape (square, ramp, tri, vee)
  8. Insert, insert, insert.

–> It respects the cursor position in the pattern editor, and scales the shape to fill your current edit step. Fun stuff.

Optional steps:

Peace,
-Harold

haha. Was working on this a bit more today. But the work’s already done:

I <3 Renoise being extensible by users. Mad props to all.

-Harold

I just realized I completely forgot to announce Automasher in this thread, where the idea originated… I feel bad about that.

Harold, the first version of my tool was working in a way very similar to your own implementation. It evolved in something more general, with many feature requests leaning toward longer curves, very different from the concept used in Massive. I had the intention to add another tool with a step sequencer interface to fulfill the initial goal, unfortunately at the moment I don’t have much time to implement it.

Don’t feel bad. The work you’ve done is very good.

Attached is my progress so far:

The direction it’s gone in is closer to the original idea, so it’s different from Automasher. It’s still quite minimal, but the gui is improving.

1. In the automation tab, choose a parameter to automate (hydra input is a good choice)
  2. Open automatron, bang on shape buttons
  3. The vertical slider sets an attenuation, so you can draw shapes of different heights
  4. Profit?

The source code is still here:

Please feel free to use the code for anything. It’s bad, generally, but has a couple cute hacks.

Take care,
Harold

This is another awesome automation tool, whys it not in the XRNX Tool Announcements & Discussion Forum?

FR:
Would be nice to see a few more shapes mainly ramp and inverted versions.
A Base (lower point) slider next to attenuation.
Maybe X2 & %2 buttons to multiply the current step length.

Many Thanks!!

Got this bug but I don’t know why:

‘C:\Documents and Settings\Ian\Application Data\Renoise\V2.8.0\Scripts\Tools\com.harold.Automatron.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (harold | hhausman@gmail.com) for assistance…

std::logic_error: ‘invalid line_index index ‘0’. valid values are (1 to 96).’
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[C]: in function ‘__newindex’
[string “do…”]:22: in function <[string “do…”]:11>
main.lua:86: in function ‘insert’
main.lua:145: in function main.lua:145

Had a bug notice as well when generating a shape that overlaps the end of a pattern:

Thanks for the feedbacks.

Dunks:

• If the tool gets a bit more developed I’ll consider making a tool page and starting a thread in the other forum.
  1. What do you mean by ‘ramps and inverted version’ shapes? I’d be happy to add more shapes. What kinds would be the most useful?
  2. Replacing attenuation by floor/ceiling sounds good. I’ll do this eventually.
  3. The step length can easily be set with the normal Renoise shortcut of ctrl-(1…8). Also, What do you mean by “%2”?

Djeroek:

• Thanks for this legit bug report, future versions won’t have this problem.
  • The pattern editor lists the line numbers as 0…127, but in Lua they’re 1…128. Crazyness! 1-based indexes are all the rage in Lua though, so I’m not too surprised.

-Harold

Just such a handy little tool as it is, you may also get more feedback there.

Like the curves in Automasher, a upside down version of the arch and sine maybe.

by X2 & %2 I meant half or double the step length with buttons, with ctrl-(1…8) you cant change from lets say 8-> 16-> 32 ->64 steps very quickly, just an idea.

Automatron, v3:

Attached is the third version.

• Fixes the 0-index bug which was reported
  • 8 new shapes, including circle-quadrants, stairs, and cosines
  • Offset slider, in case you don’t want your automation to go all the way to zero
  • Time dilation (/4, /2, *1, *2, *4)

Latest source code here:

I love you all,
-Harold

p.s. Sent message to mods to get access to create a tool page. Tool page coming soon™.

This is awesome… Thanks for your work :drummer:

This really is awesome, Thanks

One more request:
buttons to jump to the start and skip through the automation by the step lenght [|<] [<<] [>>]. I know you could use F9 to jump to the start ect… but losing keyboard focus when clicking a shape is making my hair fall out.

+1

Liking the edit step option!

Think I’ve read somewhere on this forum about lua code shissles that pass through Renoise keyboard shortcuts while a tool is on the foreground. Think I’ve found it, not sure though this fixes the focus thing as it is about undo:

(from this post: New Tool (2.8): Automasher )

Wow, this tool is amazing, well done, its so inspiring! Thanx