Massive-Style Performer For Automation Window.

Don’t feel bad. The work you’ve done is very good.

Attached is my progress so far:

The direction it’s gone in is closer to the original idea, so it’s different from Automasher. It’s still quite minimal, but the gui is improving.

1. In the automation tab, choose a parameter to automate (hydra input is a good choice)
  2. Open automatron, bang on shape buttons
  3. The vertical slider sets an attenuation, so you can draw shapes of different heights
  4. Profit?

The source code is still here:

Please feel free to use the code for anything. It’s bad, generally, but has a couple cute hacks.

Take care,
Harold

This is another awesome automation tool, whys it not in the XRNX Tool Announcements & Discussion Forum?

FR:
Would be nice to see a few more shapes mainly ramp and inverted versions.
A Base (lower point) slider next to attenuation.
Maybe X2 & %2 buttons to multiply the current step length.

Many Thanks!!

Got this bug but I don’t know why:

‘C:\Documents and Settings\Ian\Application Data\Renoise\V2.8.0\Scripts\Tools\com.harold.Automatron.xrnx\main.lua’ failed in one of its notifiers.

Please contact the author (harold | hhausman@gmail.com) for assistance…

std::logic_error: ‘invalid line_index index ‘0’. valid values are (1 to 96).’
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[C]: in function ‘__newindex’
[string “do…”]:22: in function <[string “do…”]:11>
main.lua:86: in function ‘insert’
main.lua:145: in function main.lua:145

Had a bug notice as well when generating a shape that overlaps the end of a pattern:

Thanks for the feedbacks.

Dunks:

• If the tool gets a bit more developed I’ll consider making a tool page and starting a thread in the other forum.
  1. What do you mean by ‘ramps and inverted version’ shapes? I’d be happy to add more shapes. What kinds would be the most useful?
  2. Replacing attenuation by floor/ceiling sounds good. I’ll do this eventually.
  3. The step length can easily be set with the normal Renoise shortcut of ctrl-(1…8). Also, What do you mean by “%2”?

Djeroek:

• Thanks for this legit bug report, future versions won’t have this problem.
  • The pattern editor lists the line numbers as 0…127, but in Lua they’re 1…128. Crazyness! 1-based indexes are all the rage in Lua though, so I’m not too surprised.

-Harold

Just such a handy little tool as it is, you may also get more feedback there.

Like the curves in Automasher, a upside down version of the arch and sine maybe.

by X2 & %2 I meant half or double the step length with buttons, with ctrl-(1…8) you cant change from lets say 8-> 16-> 32 ->64 steps very quickly, just an idea.

Automatron, v3:

Attached is the third version.

• Fixes the 0-index bug which was reported
  • 8 new shapes, including circle-quadrants, stairs, and cosines
  • Offset slider, in case you don’t want your automation to go all the way to zero
  • Time dilation (/4, /2, *1, *2, *4)

Latest source code here:

I love you all,
-Harold

p.s. Sent message to mods to get access to create a tool page. Tool page coming soon™.

This is awesome… Thanks for your work :drummer:

This really is awesome, Thanks

One more request:
buttons to jump to the start and skip through the automation by the step lenght [|<] [<<] [>>]. I know you could use F9 to jump to the start ect… but losing keyboard focus when clicking a shape is making my hair fall out.

+1

Liking the edit step option!

Think I’ve read somewhere on this forum about lua code shissles that pass through Renoise keyboard shortcuts while a tool is on the foreground. Think I’ve found it, not sure though this fixes the focus thing as it is about undo:

(from this post: New Tool (2.8): Automasher )

Wow, this tool is amazing, well done, its so inspiring! Thanx

Not sure if this is a bug but I can’t get the /4 and /2 time divisions to work, the edit step, *2 and *4 all work fine.

Also is there any way of getting this tool to draw the automation into the LFO devices and Instrument envelopes/Lfo’s? At the moment I am copying and pasting.

Thanks again for a great tool.

All the time divisions are working fine for me. I have to admit I was skeptical that this would be as useful as the Massive performer, but it’s proven to be even more powerful, especially since you’re not limited to the single 16 step pattern that massive has.

edit: Okay you may be right, I’m not sure if this is a bug or it’s just the fact that I’m working at 4LPB on this track, but when I try and /2 with a step setting of 3 to get 1.5 it’s not working. It appears to give me a length of 2 instead. I still need to check if this works at a higher LPB setting though.

I love you all. Your encouragement feels really good!

A few thoughts as I sit down to kick out version 4…

Dunks:

• The keyboard thing is killing me too. The current Lua API is somewhat limited in this respect, but I’m going to try and build in some keyboard handling. We’ll see how it goes.

Djeroek:

• Thanks for that code snippet, it’s a partial (but not full) solution to the problem.

fathand:

• Regarding LFOs, agreed that something similar would be useful for drawing custom LFO shapes… I think the hardest part would be for the script to know exactly where to shove the data. How would you imagine choosing (gui-wise) the destination for the shapes?

• The edit step divisors depend on your edit step being bigger than one line. Moreover, read next comment…

esp81:

• Currently, the start and length of drawing a shape is quantized to whole lines. I’d like to eventually address this, specifically for doing triplets, quintuplets, and other odd timey things.

Peace,
-Harold

Hi Harold,

Thats a good question, I have discovered the time divisions for the automation lane don’t correspond to the time divisions in the lfo/envelopes, and also you can’t step through the time divisions on lfo/envelopes and add envelopes like you can with the pattern editor (as far as I know).

There are two ways around this that I can think of, one is that the tool itself has controls for advancing the envelope position forward and backwards and puts the envelopes into whatever is currently selected, so if the user is on an envelope or lfo the tool writes to that envelope instead of the automation lane.

The other way would be to have the envelope graphic in the tool itself wich can then be ‘pasted’ into the active window. Having said all that, it seems to work ok manually copying and pasting the envelopes so maybe a button on the tool to copy the envelope into the buffer would be handy.

As for the /4 and /2, thanks for clearing that up. It would be great if you could implement that (more important than the above IMO). I tend to work in 4 LPB with a step edit of 1, so I need to increase to 8 LPB or higher to get the super fast wobbles.

Cheers

The quantizing to whole lines is fine with me if it keeps this tool being so lightning quick, I’ve noticed other tools that work on the subticks seem to taker longer to process. I’m perfectly fine with working at 8 or 16LPB to get more resolution. =) really amazing work, thanks so much.

Get ready:

-Harold

Ok, v4 is out:

Changes:
Keyboard handling

• Arrow keys move through pattern. (hold ctrl for single line movement)
  • f9, f10, f11, f12 like in pattern editor
  • insert first row shapes: q, w, e, r, t, y
  • insert second row shapes: a, s, d, f, g
  • insert third row shapes: z, x, c, v, b
  • You can press keys while dragging the attenuation slider. (!)

Input divisor

• put 2x, 3x, 4x, etc copies of the shape in a single insert step

Automation context menu

• The automatron, right where you need it

Let’s move the discussion over to here:

I love you,
-Harold

Excellent! :drummer:

[quote=“Djeroek, post:13, topic:35452”]
Lets say, I have this shape in the automation editor…

3052 envel 1.jpg

through control over even, uneven points, something like this could be achieved more easily:

Attachment 3053 not found.

Djeroek, v5 has this (zero/max odd/even points) now:
http://www.renoise.com/tools/automatron

Go buck wild. Additional ideas for more pattern effects welcome.

-Harold

Awesome, pattern effects are so nice for creating gestures! Will post some additional ideas soon.