massively-minimal

Here’s a new track i made with the “Retrochip” instruments i released earlier. This time i borrowed a few drum loops fromkaynine at looperman.com

I have mixed the track a bit differently than usual with more reverb and i also made the melodics control the volume of the drums with a custom envelope to make it snap along with the synths.

http://soundcloud.com/thebellows/massively-minimal

Very clear sound. I am reminded of the hard times stab in RUN DMCs hard times

Nice sound, quite oldschool! Maybe you can try to make your tracks a bit shorter, I often think chipsongs are greats when the tune is condensed!

Thanks guys!

I uploaded a new mix a couple of days ago with a little less reverb than the first one.

Nice sound, quite oldschool! Maybe you can try to make your tracks a bit shorter, I often think chipsongs are greats when the tune is condensed!

I actually like shorter tracks, i used to make them a lot shorter before, but then i got so many complaints that they were too short… :smiley:

I’m not shure i understand what you mean when you say you like the tune condensed? More straight forward and less parts perhaps?

BTW aklt, when you say it sounds very clear, is that positive or negative? Too clear perhaps?

I Noticed myself it sounds a bit clearer on my laptop speakers than usual, so i guess that is somewhat positive. :slight_smile:

I actually like shorter tracks, i used to make them a lot shorter before, but then i got so many complaints that they were too short… :smiley:

I’m not shure i understand what you mean when you say you like the tune condensed? More straight forward and less parts perhaps?

Yes, focus on the melody and not too much parts, it can be more efficient. That’s just my suggestion for oldschool musics!

Man, I’d like to see the xrns for this. At about 2:43 those lofi mat swells(i think that’s what it is) sound great man. Well done! You using a lot of signal followers? It’s unpredictable in a good way

Man, I’d like to see the xrns for this. At about 2:43 those lofi mat swells(i think that’s what it is) sound great man. Well done! You using a lot of signal followers? It’s unpredictable in a good way

Thanks! Actually i’m not using either lofimat or signal followers, the “swells” are simple PWM tricks and i have released the instruments making them in the download section under the name “Retrochip”.

Instead of a signal follower i used a custom key triggered envelope (downloads/fx-chains). The track is quite messy and has a couple of vst’s, but i’ll see if i can clean it up a bit and upload it later.

Here you go:https://archive.org/download/BigBloomer/MassivelyMinimal.xrns

I didn’t want to upload it to the Downloads section because it’s quite messy and unconventionally akward. So…good luck with that! :smiley:

It all happens in 2 tracks, one Control track and a slave track. The control track has a key triggered envelope that controls the gain of the slave track. I use pattern commands to set the speed of the envelope, so that whenever a key is played in the control track, then the slave track will change the length of time it plays before gain is dropped.

This is highly experimental for me and i usually wouldn’t mix and compose like this, but whatever floats your boat. :slight_smile: