"Master/Slave" -> "Primary/Secondary" or "Sender/Receiver"

Funny how some people feel personally attacked each time when talking about these topics.

2 Likes

It’s easy to get emotionally invested when you feel you’re on the side of the angels.

This is an argument for the exercise of discrimination based on context, more so than an argument for the social censure and erasure of a multivalent idea, imo. There are many contexts in which “master” holds no charge, and to conflate one with the other doesn’t increase clarity, but diminishes it. It is arguably racist (in the sense of a soft bigotry of low expectations) to assume that others (who presumably would take offense on the basis of a racial identity) won’t make the distinction. There’s nothing wrong with master/slave in this context aside from the conflation, but again, we lose nothing by changing the nomenclature to something less triggering for those who would fail to make the distinction between meanings across different contexts. I suppose Master’s degrees are next, lol. Honestly, I’m surprised they haven’t been renamed already, given the prevalence of this current of thought throughout academia…

I’m not much for argumentation thru social media, generally, so I’m not likely to respond further, but your point that change is inevitable is certainly true… I would hope that we all can move towards a generally more rational global society, but, I do not hold my breath :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

While I do agree with your ultimate conclusion, naturally, I do also feel the need to point out that it’s your own projection of why a person would be made uncomfortable, and to assume that reason is intelligence is not my assumption, it is yours.

Frankly, I personally am offended by this terminology, as well as others, but I am not presuming to speak for others per se. The word absolutely zaps me of my creativity and makes me angry for the musicians who were turned away summarily from recording and profiting from their music. The term is clearly loaded and represents a time in musical history when black people were generally and socially prohibited from enjoying the same rights and activities as white people, and these terms have been promulgated globally. This is a terrible error and it should be rectified as well as recognized. Indeed the path is long, but that should not preclude embarking upon it.

I generally don’t argue on social platforms either, however a forum for suggestions and things in a software I love is not really a social platform as much as it is exactly that: a forum to post suggestions, ideas, and improvements to a software we all love.

Thank you for your understanding and the conclusion that change is both inevitable and should take place. I’m not holding my breath either, it would give some people too much satisfaction to watch me expire. :wink:

1 Like

Sorry I’m not backing you up more dude, I’m just using this thread to see who to block. People expressing surprise at people being offended when the term “woke” is lazily used as a cudgel to demean and attempt to invalidate arguments. It happens in the wider world and its draining. These same people decry “cancel culture” but froth at the mouth at progressives suggesting change. I am thorough fucking fed up and to be fair, it’s easier on my mental health to just check out.

1 Like

What about “controller/executor” then? That would at last give about the same precision in description… But it sounds quite abstract already…

Sender/receiver does not include the fact that the slave is a soulless zombie and has to obey the master’s commands, It only expresses that something was sent and then received.

Primary/secondary is completely useless in this context.

So I would stay with master/slave…

P.S: Or “commander/executor” is even better

2 Likes

In the company I’m working in (big tech company) those questions are being raised too. I think once a new term will be dominant it won’t be a problem for anyone and the current term will be seen as very dated.

1 Like