Melting Glaze

Hello!

Been learning the ways of producing music for a few months now and figured it’s time to post something here:https://soundcloud.com/don-stroganotti/melting-glaze

Any critique is welcome :walkman:

It’s not mixed very well. Some element are really far forward in the mix and the drums sit back and don’t sound very glued together. It also doesn’t change up much in terms of texture, which isn’t unusual for chiptunes, but what you have right there gets a little same-y after a bit.

Alright thanks, I’ll see what I can do.

I agree somewhat with elsekiss, the kick/snare are too far back in the mix, while the crash was too loud. I would lower the volume of that loud crash, put a compressor on the entire drum track and bring the level up. Also the kick/snare sound kinda flat, like I would choose some different less “general midi” sounding drum samples, or do some creative EQ/distortion/etc on them to make them sound more modern, I would suggest perhaps boosting the snare’s EQ around 200hz

BUT

What elsekiss didn’t address is the uplifting charm of the song. Mixing issues aside, it’s actually a really pleasant little song which reminds me in a way of stuff like Owl City. It’s sweet and compelling… And I can feel the emotion that’s within. Although I feel like the song’s artwork on Soundcloud does not represent the tone of the song AT ALL. Lol

Anyway, keep up the good work!

-Scott

I agree somewhat with elsekiss, the kick/snare are too far back in the mix, while the crash was too loud. I would lower the volume of that loud crash, put a compressor on the entire drum track and bring the level up. Also the kick/snare sound kinda flat, like I would choose some different less “general midi” sounding drum samples, or do some creative EQ/distortion/etc on them to make them sound more modern, I would suggest perhaps boosting the snare’s EQ around 200hz

BUT

What elsekiss didn’t address is the uplifting charm of the song. Mixing issues aside, it’s actually a really pleasant little song which reminds me in a way of stuff like Owl City. It’s sweet and compelling… And I can feel the emotion that’s within. Although I feel like the song’s artwork on Soundcloud does not represent the tone of the song AT ALL. Lol

Anyway, keep up the good work!

-Scott

Thanks for the feedback and positive comments!, I did some minor adjustments to the mix but I’m mostly leaving it as is and using what I learned on future projects. The artwork is just my profile picture at the moment =)