Midi Aftertouch

We just had a talk on #renoise about that.
It seems that MIDI aftertouch indeed is needed in Renoise.
Seemingly it’s been discussed on the forum before and we accepted that it’s not neccecary for newer MIDI devices.
As for me and some more users this is not true.
For me the PLG100-VH (a wind instrument emulator) which is a plugIn for several Yamaha-Products, uses MIDI-Aftertouch-features.
And I just got to know that a Kawai K3M would need it, too.
Maybe it can be implemented into Renoise sooner or later?
I’d be happy about that.

some VST synths do support it also, and the main electroacoustic drum modules too

(Roland VDrum and Clavia DDrum4, which I have just bought used :drummer:).

So you have my vote.

Aftertouch support would be really useful. I use a Casio VZ-1, a Kawai K3M and a Yamaha DX7 which all have aftertouch hooked up to useful parameters, and it would be nice to be able to have renoise utilize it for control.
I don’t think that it’s superflous for newer devices either - quite the contrary, more expensive new synths all have aftertouch.

The best way to implement it in the user interface would probably be as an effect in the effect column. Aftertouch support would make a big difference to me, and i’m sure a lot of others. If there is a possibility of including that functionality in renoise i would be very happy too, i think. :)

I vote for aftertouch!

Nope, the best way would be to map the volume column to aftertouch
whenever it’s not next to a note (which makes it velocity). This is more
consistent with the sample behaviour.

We originally planned this for 1.5, but I don’t think it’s going to make it. We’re
trying to finish this release some time, and have to be very restrictive now…

Actually, in the case of my Kawai K3m, aftertouch is hooked up to the filter cutoff, so putting aftertouch in the volume column would mean that you couldn’t specify an initial aftertouch value to control the filter, because the volume column would be velocity.

Now, i don’t know if there are other synthesizers with this particular behaviour, but i think there are times that you could want to set both aftertouch and velocity in the same time… however strange that may sound.

Are there any other opinions on this?

heh… I think it’s time for feature freeze :)

I think I can say thanks once again. :)

Sorry to resurrect this old beast, but are there any new plans for aftertouch support? I recently picked up an Akai MPD24 as a replacement for my M-audio Trigger finger (which has MIDI randomly dropping every 5 minutes or so). The MIDI is now perfect, but the Trigger finger supports using CCs for the pads while the MPD24 exclusively supports aftertouch for the same.

Obviously this limits me enormously in terms of using the actual pressure sensitivity of the thing.

This is the first device i’ve picked up with “real” aftertouch, and i’m sort of green to the whole thing. I gather aftertouch messages are separate from CC messages? Would it be impossible to have sort of a mix of the two values, so they both evaluate to what Renoise deals with as CCs, one overriding the other?

I’ll do my best in tickling taktik for implementing this in 2.0

Seems like most DAWs don’t allow Aftertouch to be mapped in this way. Are there some specific artifacts of aftertouch that i don’t know about that makes it hard to remap?

aftertouch in renoise would be really nice,as someone else said,alot of vst support it now,so please implement it

just bought an axiom 25, and renoise can’t understand aftertouch? omgz!

Man, was this ever implemented in some way? I really want to be able to map aftertouch to filter cutoff so I can play it in real time.

Since 2.0;

Well I know I can do that and use it with VSTis and whatnot, but I’d like to be able to use it to control filter cutoff in an XRNI. How would you do this?

this cannot be done as of version 2.5.

hopefully a complete XRNI redesign will make this possible in future versions

And am I right in thinking that it can’t be done with DSP effects either?

Note: I mean a MIDI controller sending aftertouch data to control some parameter of an effect so that it can be recorded, not just hand-entered into the effect column.