Midi Instruments triggering external sampler issue

Using Renoise to trigger my Akai S1000. My midi controller is connected to a MOTU midi express 128, then to the Akai.

The Akai is set up with drums on midi channel 1. Bassline is on midi channel 2.

Renoise has track 1 drums, track 2 bassline. I set up 2 midi instruments - both inputs are express 128 port 1, channel 1 (my controller). One output is express 128 port 1, channel 1, assigned track 1 (akai drums) and the other is express 128 port 1, channel 2, assigned track 2 (akai bassline)

Iā€™m trying to ā€œselectā€ either midi instrument to JUST play the drums or the bassline. Tried a bunch of different stuff -

1. Setting up both instruments input to port 1 channel 1 plays both the drums + bassline at the same time
  2. Setting one instrument input to channel 1 and the other input to channel 2 just plays channel 1 (akai drums)
  3. If both midi instruments must play at once, it seems the only work around is turning off either track in the ā€œtrack scopesā€ pane?

What are my options here? Is there an easier way Iā€™m missing to JUST send either channel 1 or 2 into the akai, so it plays drums or bassline separately?

bump? Any advice would be super helpful

Not 100% sure I understand what you are describing but below are some screens of a quick setup
controlling an external groovebox from renoise; here we are sending notes to three separate tracks
of the groovebox, the tracks on the groovebox are ā€˜listeningā€™ on channels 1, 2, and 3.

Create one instrument for each MIDI channel you want to control:
Capture

Configure the instrument ā€˜Outputā€™ to the desired MIDI channel:

Use the editor to compose, here we are using one track per channel:

Hth!

1 Like