Midi Map Without Learn

Hi all,

i’m trying to map the xy on touchosc to the xy device - Renoise is receiving cc56 for x-axis and cc57 for Y…

When i got to midi map in learning mode, the two values are triggered simultaneously and i cannot decide wich is wich

Is it possible to assign midi values just typing them in a list?

• Open the MIDI Mapping dialog.
  • In the MIDI Mapping dialog, expand “Available & Active Mappings”.
  • You can now choose to individually map either the X-Axis or Y-Axis parameters from the list.
  • There may be a lot of available mappings in the list, but you can simply click any parameter in the X/Y Pad’s interface to quickly jump to the available controls for that particular device, or you can also use the search field.

2933 renoise_midi_map_x_y.png

[quote=“dblue, post:2, topic:35231”]

• Open the MIDI Mapping dialog.
  • In the MIDI Mapping dialog, expand “Available & Active Mappings”.
  • You can now choose to individually map either the X-Axis or Y-Axis parameters from the list.
  • There may be a lot of available mappings in the list, but you can simply click any parameter in the X/Y Pad’s interface to quickly jump to the available controls for that particular device, or you can also use the search field.

2933 renoise_midi_map_x_y.png

But you still can’t manually enter the CC value can you? Not without saving and editing the file offline. (Not got a MIDI controller connected or any software to check but all the control options are greyed out here.)

Not at the moment, no. Would definitely be great to have a bit more control over this, being able to manually set specific CC’s and what not.

X/Y pads are always fiddly buggers to deal with, unfortunately. I’ve used a few in the past that had some smart(ish) behaviour, where if you triggered them at the very extremes (ie. left/right edge, or upper/lower edge) they would only send out one CC value since the other axis technically wasn’t changing when you hit the extreme edge. Not sure if TouchOSC does something similar.

In TouchOSC, you may just have to temporarily take the X/Y Pad’s CC values and assign those to proper sliders instead. Then map the individual sliders to the X/Y Pad in Renoise, and then finally change TouchOSC’s X/Y Pad to use those CC’s again. Bit of a pain in the arse really, though.

I see… i’m going to edit my max msp “bridge” patch (converts osc to midi) with a gate on each output of XY to have the values selectable one at the time

Anyhow writing the CC’s directly in Renoise midi map would be nice…

You don’t have to go through that pain, there is an easier way to map CC valuesdirectly to the device, still not as nice as being allowed to add them directly, but simply copy the device to the text editor and adjust the cc values ()in the section, then copy back the XML snippet to the DSP rack.

<out1max><br>
  	<value>0.566929102</value><br>
  	<visualization>Device only</visualization><br>
  	<midimappings><br>
    	<midimapping><br>
      	<mappingmode>Controllers</mappingmode><br>
      	<controllermode>Absolute 7 bit</controllermode><br>
      	<notemode>Trigger</notemode><br>
      	<channel>0</channel><br>
      	<ccnumberornote>1</ccnumberornote><br>
      	<min>0.0</min><br>
      	<max>1.0</max><br>